FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Little Duncan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/14 at 10:08pm
Wednesday 4/9/14  -- Physical therapy with Iron Dawn

Today was a major PR day.  I managed to stand independently in my crutches with only intermittent touch cues from Dawn for one full minute.  This is the first time I have ever stood in my crutches without support.  Top of the world!

The endurance training and isometric training I have been doing for the March for Babies has had significant carry-over to my ability to stay stable in my crutches.  I love it when a plan comes together.

And speaking of the March for Babies,  donations are rolling in, and I am very excited.  Only 24 days left to train and to raise money.  The pressure is on.

Here is a new video as well:

TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/14 at 10:24pm
Saturday 4/12
Upper body and balance work, with some endurance standing.

Sunday 4/13
New distance trial!  Mama, Dad, Roland, and I went over to my school to practice on what we call the 'little track'.  It is narrow, lumpy, and irregular, but it does go for a full quarter mile loop. 

It did two of those, so the half-mile benchmark is in the bag!  Thank you to Mama for the hip-hop, soul music, and bluegrass; and thank you to Dad for the AC/DC.  All kids should have workout music so cool.

Plus I had enough left in the tank that Roland and I got to play on the new playground equipment that the school actually made handicap accessible.  The new slides rock.

Show me your war face!

Only twenty days left until the March!

http://www.marchforbabies.org/SupportDuncan
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/14 at 7:31am
I love this kid!  Keep moving forward Duncan!!!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/14 at 12:04pm
Week of 4/14 - 4/18

• I have no injury or inflammation from my 1/2 mile benchmark last Sunday.  Solid.
  • Transitional walking all week has been good. 
  • I have been doing more isometric upper body strengthening all week, and today IronDawn set me up and I stood independently in my crutches for double the time I did last week.
  • Then we worked on weight shifting and having me reach up with one hand at a time without taking my arm out of the cuff on the crutch.  This was no fun at all.

I will be knocking out the 3/4 mile distance trial this Sunday, so stand by for that.  First though, we must quest for eggs.

Only 15 days left before the March, and guess who is now part of Team Duncan?

Solid.

Edited by TomLawrence - 4/20/14 at 10:19pm
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/18/14 at 12:25pm
SWEET ACTION!!!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/20/14 at 10:12pm
Sunday 4/20
Mama, Dad, Roland, and I went over to the 'little track' for the next distance trial. 

I completed three laps, so the three-quarter-mile benchmark is done!  This matches my PR from last year.  I did the first two laps faster than last week as well, and I am averaging about 20 minutes per lap.  I was a little wobbly on the steps up to the slide afterward, so Dad made sure I got some banana and ibuprofen before bed.  I will foam roll tomorrow.

The plan is to go a full mile next weekend, and then rest for the 1.2 mile March the following week.  Only 13 days left until then.

Mom and Dad will be putting in the order for Team Duncan shirts tomorrow (Monday) afternoon.  If you want one from this first run, please visit my link for how to get one.  Then get a message to Dad with your size.  We will probably end up doing a second order after the March, so there is still time if you don't get in by tomorrow.

Lastly, the March is on May 3rd.  That is the same day as Arlington for my Texas friends and Triad HG for my friends in the southeast.  If you are not already contesting those or another of the many games and would like to walk with us, please contact Dad or click the Join the Team link on my March page.  It will be fun!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:13am
Mission Accomplished Duncan.

Very proud.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:45am
The next mile is dedicated to you Mr. McCallum.  It will be a PR.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:49am

Video.  It's what his fans, and yours, want. 

The man in the arena.
Mike Beech View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:56am
Outstanding.

Sweet shirt as well ;)
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 9:51am
Update from Assistance-Coach Dad:  Video will be forthcoming.  The only clue I will give is that Edgar Winter will be horrified.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 10:13am
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/14 at 2:51pm
Wednesday 4/23/14

Road trip to Panda Neurology down in the city for my every-three-month Botox injections.  I get one in each hip adductor and one in each medial hamstring.  My CP makes the muscles stay tight (spastic), and the Botox gets them to relax.  Having the injections keeps my hips from pulling out of their sockets just from spasticity.  The down side is that by the end of each three month period, I come to rely on the gradual tightening for stability; then when it's suddenly gone, I am susceptible to injury.

This time all the distance training has made me so strong that it's not an issue.  Win, win, win.

Thursday 4/24/14

PT with Iron Dawn. (proud sponsor of Team Duncan)

Middle distance practice in a local parking lot.  Practicing stepping up and down curbs, working on handicap ramps,  and climbing hills.  This helps 'imbed' the Botox fully into the muscles, so it lasts longer.

Friday 4/25/14

Hippotherapy at Genesis Therapeutics (proud sponsor of Team Duncan)

One hour of horseback for core stability and hip abduction.  Plus it's fun.

Saturday 4/26/14

Flapjack Run 5K in Ellijay Jasper, GA

Mama ran the race and afterward we did this week's distance trial through downtown Ellijay Jasper.  It is the closest analogue to the actual March for Babies course I have tried.  Lots of distractions from traffic, people, hills, curbs, little brothers, etc., i.e. worst case training.

Well...

One mile -- check!  I am coming for you 1.2. 

One week left until the March.  New video soon.  Prepare for glory.

Edited by TomLawrence - 4/27/14 at 12:50pm
Mike Beech View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/14 at 6:37pm
Yes!

YES!!!

I seriously pumped my fist and screamed while driving when I read this! Great job little Duncan!
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 9:00am
Best news all day! Love to hear about his positive progress. 
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 9:37am
Fantastic, just fantastic.  

eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 7:54pm
Thats awesome! Congrats!!
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 9:33pm
Great job duncan from a huge fan!
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/14 at 6:00am
Awesome!!!!!!!
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
rogerws76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerws76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/14 at 6:07am
Nicely done, Dunc!!!

Roger
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/28/14 at 1:19pm
Thank you all.  I am ready for next Saturday.  Let's do this!

rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:00am
Little late to this party, but this is wonderful!  Keep it up Duncan.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/14 at 9:18am
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

Little late to this party, but this is wonderful!  Keep it up Duncan.

Thank you Dr. Rob.  I often wear my Silo Barbell shirt when I train. 
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/14 at 8:37am
Two more days buddy!!!
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/14 at 9:54pm
Three bits of good news:

1)  Team Duncan exceeded its fundraising goal.  So far we have clocked in over $10,000, with over $7,000 under my name.  That is a lot of money toward research to help at-risk mothers and babies.

2)  I know this should be about my personal goals to make the 1.2 mile circuit (which I will) and the ultimate goal of raising the money for research; and it should not be about beating the other teams in the Appalachian Foothills Region.  However... we have crushed all the other teams, and we will almost certainly be fielding the most people at the March on Saturday.  We are doing our little part of the country proud.

3)  Mama is picking up the first run of shirts tomorrow.  Check out the back:

This week I have been working on hill sprints and core strength.  So far, so good staying injury free.  Getting amped up for Saturday morning!

Aim high. Stay hungry.
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/14 at 8:52am
Love to see all the community support on there!
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/14 at 9:32am
The little warrior is fairly well known in our town.  Trick or Treat on the town square is always a blast, because of how many people come by to high-five him.

Part of that is selfish motivation from my wife and I.  The more familiar Duncan is to people, the less 'different' he is.  Tolerance falls short.  Acceptance is the goal.  We want the local community to embrace him the way NASGA has embraced him:  one of us.

That's why all y'all are flagged on the sponsor map picture in his previous post as family, not friends.  Family presupposes love.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/14 at 10:10am

Can't wait to hear how this goes Duncan!

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/14 at 6:27am
Leaving within the hour.  Team total is above $13,000!  

Party time.

Brittney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/14 at 8:28am
Get it! Keep us updated if ya can.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing; so is alot. -Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic