FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

USA Team headed to the 2014 Newtonmore games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:31am

Elite

Something I've been called exactly never.

You earned it Dave.  Let's go make good on that promise.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Elite

Something I've been called exactly never.

Start getting used to it.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by KTDupuis KTDupuis wrote:

Duncan...sent you a PM.

If it is the same as 2001, 2004, 2007... shotput used. 7' circle for shot. 9' circle for LWD. T&F rules for throws (none of this one-foot-out stuff). Vector lines. WOB is stand only, knockoff bar. 16# hammer.

the field is the nicest field i have ever thrown on. It is a manicured shinty pitch. I almost felt bad beating it up (almost).

^^^^ This

The key things that go with this:  the shot circle feels tight, tight, tight.  I didn't feel comfortable spinning it was so tight.  So, I did the glide.  I don't think there is any practical way to make the MSA work.  And, they throw shots.  Not stones.

The LWFD is interesting since you can't have a foot out.  So, I cheated up in the circle to give myself room to the left in the cast and sprint.  Just adjusted the cast so I drifted to the back of the ring to have the full distance to sprint, think of Karl Dodge, Spencer Tyler, John Collins.

The caber is loooooong and skinny.  I think it was 23' or 24'.  Not heavy.   Probably no more than 90 pounds (British).  But, due to the length, you have to get it moving to get it over.

We threw sheaf.  Not a great bag, and the games fork has straight tines.  I mean literally straight.  Have to adjust your pull a tad to keep the bag on.  As I recall, all athletes were required to use it.
If, you throw it.  Not sure if it will be contested.

They use sectors for the shots, weight, and hammer. 

Get some practice with a knock off bar, or some facsimile.

Here's the most important nuance
:  The head Judge is Graeme Allen's mother.  She is OLD SCHOOL.  Don't give her any sass.  Be respectful and polite (and charming if you can Wink) and she will treat you well.  Get on her bad side and it will be a long day.

It is an amazing venue and field.  The crowd is great.  Make sure to shake Sir Tommy MacPherson's hand.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 12:21pm
Mike,

What's the throwing surface in the rings?  Concrete / cinder / clay / grass?  Thinking about what kind of shoes the guys will need.  Are hammer boots possible, and if so are they allowed?

Not a stakeholder as a traveling athlete, just as a 'Merican.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 12:39pm

From memory....boots on hammer  = yes. Gloves = no. The throwing surface was grass. Kind of like this....(Zolk at Newtonmore in 2004)

"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

Here's the most important nuance:  The head Judge is Graeme Allen's mother.  She is OLD SCHOOL.  Don't give her any sass.  Be respectful and polite (and charming if you can Wink) and she will treat you well.  Get on her bad side and it will be a long day.
It is an amazing venue and field.  The crowd is great.  Make sure to shake Sir Tommy MacPherson's hand. 

True dat. Bear in mind that there are a couple of other games the same day, so chances are you won't get much competition once they hear about the herd of bloody Yanks coming over. Most important thing is to remember that you're guests over there, so have fun and be nice!
KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 12:49pm
Oh, the game that the 2004 group threw in on the second day was Bridge of Allen. It was more like what we are used to. Had 2 puts 22# and 16#, HWD, LWD, both hammers, caber and WOB (standing...the way Odin meant it to be thrown). Square throwing area, etc.

I don't recall vectors at BofA...but I was nursing a bad hangover and I might have missed them.
"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 1:12pm
You're not on American soil, folks. You probably don't have to keep mentioning standing WOB. Everywhere else in the world WOB -means- standing.

Playing with the shots is interesting. Some are up to 11kg (~24#) and still thrown open. Gloves aren't allowed in general, so bring tape and hand care stuff and use it if you're planning on sticking around and throwing in other games. Your hands will thank you.

Every Scot born under the sun I swear can throw 50' with a 16# shot and 120 with a 16# hammer. The fields are beautiful to throw on.

Oh and sausage rolls are cheap. And awesome.
Sutherland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sutherland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 1:21pm
Thanks, guys this is invaluable information. I had heard pieces and parts of all of this, but this will help us all prepare.

When I started throwing 13 years ago I wanted to get picked for two games, North vs South and USA vs Scotland(in Scotland) I can't tell you how honored I have been to have been a part of these two great events. I am so excited about taking the field in the land of my ancestors. When KC asked me to be the USA captain I had to hold back tears and keep from jumping on the dinner table at the same time. I am blessed and I thank God every day for all the great aspects of my life.
I then realized I had to again choose a team of 4 other guys.
I created a list.
I asked Duncan less the 24 hours after I was asked. No brainer
We talked every day. I asked for his list of suggested guys.
I emailed ADs asked for their list of suggested guys.
Guys who were great throwers and again great people that's all I wanted to know and then I wanted to meet the ones who I didn't personally know. So I went to Arnold. And met everyone on our lists. Then came amazingly difficult choices. I won’t pretend that some great guys and great throwers weren’t left off the list, but I only had 4 spots.

I have to say that each of the athletes I chose are fine upstanding men and I made sure of that before I asked them. I and they know we are representing our states, our nation and our highland games communities, and we sure don't want to embarrass them and I'm sure future teams want to travel to Scotland too. So we will make you proud.

Shane Sutherland
nkahanic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkahanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 1:29pm
Amen, brother. Well thought out and well selected. I couldn't be happier for these guys. Stand up Group with deep number potential...I like A LOT. Well done. All around.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 1:35pm
Shane, I think you made some awful good choices. Kick some ass over there and make us proud! 

SUPER jealous BTW hahaha. A week overseas with Brezina? It's going to turn into this before it's all said and done. 

Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 1:57pm
Lol oh Jeff

It is an honor to be selected abd go with a good group of guys. Thank you Shane and KC for this opportunity. It will show in performance I promise you that. And please keep up with the rules, I am gonna need all the help I can get.
Good bless America
Skinny guy trying to get big
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 2:12pm
Good stuff!

Mike D-- I recall seeing video of some of your Scotland games. Was this game recorded as well?
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 2:19pm
That field above look awesome!  Like throwing on a golf course.

Good luck to you guys.  I have thrown against all these guys expect Robinson and they are good ones (well, except Breezy.  Can't stand that guy).  BTW, Adam, my beard missed you.
www.sportkilt.com
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 2:22pm
Guys, ease off a little. You're going to Scotland. Not the moon.

Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

Like throwing on a golf course.

Go to Mull. You throw ON the golf course.
Bill Boyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 5:11pm
Congrats Duncan. Train him hard, TCAA.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/13/14 at 7:01pm
I have quite a bit of video still in the can, but, alas, I don't think I got any of Newtonmore. 

I do have these from Newtonmore, however.   Wink

Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/14 at 11:47am
Newtonmore was one of the few games that, due to the amateur rules being in effect, allowed the use of a glove.  I remember this because Graeme was throwing the 28 track & field style using a throwing glove.  Which brings up another interesting point, that the 28 AND the WOB can be thrown two-handed in the amateur games if the athlete chooses to.  Obviously, neither are an advantage so don't bother.  Just be prepared to take a lot of pish from Nelly if you choose to wear a glove.

Of course, as with everything in Scotland, all rules are subject to change on the day.  Haha.

Like Dave said, Newtonmore is the same day as Aboyne and some other big games, so you never know who will or won't show up until you get there. 

Sir Thomas MacPherson, called "The Kilted Killer" by the Nazis is a legend and is worth the trip alone.
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed
S Patience View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Patience Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/14 at 4:31pm
Good luck lads, hopefully catch up with you when you are here.  Some excellent footage here -  

Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFMhuVV75Y 
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX7QSdFPDMg 

Cheers 
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/14/14 at 5:02pm
Looking forward to it Sinclair!
The man in the arena.
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/14 at 9:41am
Let me know if you are visiting Inverness during your stay and I will give you a tour of the world's oldest Highland Games Stadium - Northern Meeting Park. 
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/18/14 at 10:07am
Absolutely!  I may never make it back, so I fully intend to take in as much as possible.  Thank you very much for your offer Gerry.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/14 at 6:45am
< id="mac_address" value="" ="">
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/14 at 6:52am
^Us
The man in the arena.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/14 at 7:17am
Who's Mr Pink?bawaaaaw.
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/14 at 7:19am
Definitely Breezy
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/14 at 7:33am
I believe THIS is what the back of our shirts should have on them.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 10:33am
Looking forward to this weekend Dave.  The Thistle will be a good jumping off point...I'll see you at 34'!
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/14 at 8:20am
Does anyone know who we're throwing against?  Does Scotland have a Team, or are we going to be competing against 5 local fellas?
The man in the arena.
Captain Slow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/22/14 at 12:30pm
Not yet been picked our season has just begun.
Please, please, please dont f*ck about near or in electricity substations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic