FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

NORTH AMERlCAN CHAMPlONSHlP IX DlRECTOR'S CUT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/14 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

If you can promise me Phil S. will go easy in the sheaf I'll come play...

35' is no joke!
So, what will you promise him if l make that promise to you?

And if 35' with a 16 lb sheaf is "no joke", what should we call your 36' toss??
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/14 at 7:44pm
A lucky shot.
The man in the arena.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/14 at 8:35pm

Edited by phatmiked - 5/07/14 at 9:36am
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 10:35am

Duncan McCallum doesn't fret.

He waits.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 10:39am
Know who needs to apply for pre-Elite? Rob Muscleberg. That's who.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 10:55am
I already entered him Sean.

Twice.

The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 11:26am
Well, he IS a little wider than most in the shoulders.
Barge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 12:06pm
What's the cutout for qualifying throws? Not that I'd make it in the top but my first comp won't be until towards the end of June. I'm guessing that's too late.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 12:12pm
Well guys...I would love to.  I really do.  In fact, I had it on my calendar as a possible date.  But that $700-800 flight to Seattle is the limiting step.

It would be worth it to throw with Dunc again and meet Langford and hear him complain about his hip.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 12:28pm
I'll cover the hotel Rob.

BTW, can't wait for your movie on the 16th.
The man in the arena.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 12:44pm
Hmmmmmmm........

And, I am too looking forward to seeing The Immigrant hit the theaters!
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 12:48pm

Thrown down.
The man in the arena.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

It would be worth it to throw with Dunc again and meet Langford and hear him complain about his hip.

You bastards are gonna feel bad if it turns out I'm actually injured instead of just old.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 6:20pm
Sean, you going to the 'Claw?   Seems a very fashionable crowd will be turning out.  Maybe I should throw my hat in the ring for consideration.  I think the young-old farts class is the only one without a Texan.

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 8:44pm
Doooooooo iiiiittttt!
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/08/14 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Barge Barge wrote:

What's the cutout for qualifying throws? Not that I'd make it in the top but my first comp won't be until towards the end of June. I'm guessing that's too late.
The cut-off is 11:59 PM (PDT) on the 19th of June.  l'm guessing that that's probably too late for you!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

Flame of Idaho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flame of Idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/14 at 12:56pm

Barge,

You can input numbers from the last two years on the application. Although numbers this season help, it won't keep you from going if you've had good enough throws in the recent past.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/09/14 at 6:05pm
What she said!  Embarrassed
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/14 at 8:50pm
 - THlNGS ABOUT THE CLAW THAT YOU SHOULD KNOW -

A winged trig is used.  Stepping over the lines forming the throwing area is a foul.

Throws are made off of AstroTurf.  This precludes the use of hammer blades.

For safety, throws are limited to a 60 degree sector, hammers, 40 degrees.

ln the Braemar Stone, feet remaining in contact with the ground will be enforced.

The spin is no longer permitted in the WOB (except in the Championship events.)

ln the height events, when it is 70 minutes past the scheduled start, the event can go into
"sudden death" (one toss per height) if the judge deems it necessary to remain on schedule.

Side judging will only be done on the qualifying cabers.

Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/14 at 8:41am
Wally, I'm going to give you one more suggestion:

No more height event tie breakers where the bar is LOWERED and the athletes go again. Ties happen. Embrace it and split the points.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/14 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

No more height event tie breakers....split the points.
ls this what they mean when they say "give 'em an inch and they'll ask for a mile?"

l've found that when there's ties in events, there's usually ties in the overall placing.  "
No biggie" you say?  Well, when you already have placing checks all made out, it's hard to split up those checks for tied individuals!  Wait a minute!  ls he saying that there's money for "Amateurs?"

Why would you want to share placing with someone else when you could have that fuzzy warm feeling knowing that you had bested that person?  Participation ribbons would be nice!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

Flame of Idaho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flame of Idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/14 at 1:08pm
Wally, what do you mean by "ln the Braemar Stone, feet remaining in contact with the ground will be enforced." ? Is that both feet, or just the front foot. And I assume the reversal is fine as long as it is after the stone is released.
Also, is spinning allowed in the Sheaf?
feefiefofeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feefiefofeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/14 at 5:55pm
This means the front foot cannot be picked up from the ground and put back down, even if it's in the same spot, during a Braemar throw. Sometimes you can lift the heel, I guess it depends who the judge is.
Literature is strewn with the wreckage of men who have minded beyond all reason the opinions of others.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/14 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Flame of Idaho Flame of Idaho wrote:

Is that both feet, or just the front foot. And I assume the reversal is fine as long as it is after the stone is released.
Also, is spinning allowed in the Sheaf?
Yes, no, yes and yes!

The Braemar is a standing put, so neither foot should move.  Raising a foot is an "approach."  l'm going to remind our judges that both feet should remain in contact with the ground during the put.  l don't think that raising your heel or toe breaks the rule.

Reversing of feet upon release (or follow) is, indeed, permitted.

Spinning in the Sheaf Toss is allowed at the Claw.

16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 8:50am
So spinning WOB - No Good
Spinning Sheaf - Good.   Explain please.....Smile
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 9:06am
Sheaf's not a real event. So who freakin cares? Wink

Or, in more obvious terms:

WOB - Traditional Scottish event with history. Only one country allows spinning.
Sheaf - Borrowed farmer's games event. No ties to Scotland. DMZ.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 9:53am
Nobody signing up for Pre-Elite...
The man in the arena.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Sheaf's not a real event. So who freakin cares? Wink

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 10:11am
I think someone is about to get pitied.
The man in the arena.
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/20/14 at 10:29am
+1 Langford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic