FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Hammer Handles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammer Handles
    Posted: 4/16/14 at 4:30pm
Does anyone know the hammer handle length?
Larry J Readman
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/16/14 at 4:36pm
50inch

You should likely check out the Getting Started section here, will likely answer many easy first time questions.

http://www.nasgaweb.com/getstart.asp
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 2:06pm
Additionally, the Getting Started guide doesn't say so, but a lot of us (most?) use PVC handles because they are so easily replaceable.  If you go that route, get schedule 80 PVC not schedule 40.  It will hold up a lot longer.  You'll also need to use some baseball bat tape or equivalent to tape a grip as well.

Like this:

Good luck.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 2:26pm
Make sure you get the conduit with a swage on the end - will prevent the hammer head flying off. Couple rounds of athletic tape at the top of the hammer head also helps prevent it sliding down the handle.
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

You'll also need to use some baseball bat tape or equivalent to tape a grip as well.

No.

Please don't do this to PVC hammers (or rattan for that matter). 

Tacky works just fine. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 3:05pm
Interesting.  I have never been to a games using PVC that didn't have them taped.  Of course there is also usually tacky on the tape.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/14 at 3:23pm
I have never thrown a PVC hammer in a competition that we didn't rip the tape off first. 

You're just increasing the potential slippage, and there's no need for the tape.  
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/14 at 10:57pm

Additionally, the Getting Started guide doesn't say so, but a lot of us (most?) use PVC handles because they are so easily replaceable.  If you go that route, get schedule 80 PVC not schedule 40.  It will hold up a lot longer.  You'll also need to use some baseball bat tape or equivalent to tape a grip as well.

Like this:

Good luck.

Tom

Tom, I like your homemade hammer.  How did you make the hammer head part? 
http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/14 at 4:39am
I ordered the head from Mike Landrich of Landrich Power Systems.  He also made my LWFD and HWFD. Very good stuff.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/14 at 5:03am

I ordered the head from Mike Landrich of Landrich Power Systems.  He also made my LWFD and HWFD. Very good stuff.

Tom
Ah, very good.  I've heard a lot of good things about him. 
http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic