Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Rhode Island Scottish Highland Festival 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhode Island Scottish Highland Festival 2014
    Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:03pm
Hi all,

First, thanks to Sam & Kate Grammer for running the RI Scot games these past few years.  I hope to carry the torch forward as the new AD of the games, but I won't be able to do it without your help.  Thankfully, the New England throwers are a close knit community and I know that we'll be able to pull off another great games.

I'm looking at running Pro, Masters, Amateur, Lightweight, and Women's classes this year.  Thumbs Up

RI Scot // Sat, 14-June-2014 // 9:00am Start // Rain or Shine
Washington County Fairgrounds, Richmond Townhouse Rd, Richmond, RI
Directions: http://goo.gl/maps/fL1YJ

RI Scot Logo

Please fill out the following registration form and mail it to me with your check.  Please read all of the directions contained within the form.  Any questions, please feel free to message me on here, Facebook, or via e-mail.

Registration: http://goo.gl/5SRIqG (PDF) (Please note t-shirt size!) (v2.0)

Official Web Site: http://riscot.org (Directions, lodging, other info.)

Official Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/riscot (Please like us and share!)

First come, first serve on open registrations.  I will cap entries, if necessary.  Please have your entries postmarked by Sat, 07-June-2014 so that I can make sure your ticket is mailed to you.

I'm trying to get t-shirts this year, but no guarantees.  Please include your t-shirt size on the registration form.

And, of course, I'll be looking for volunteers to help judge, score, and generally take care of the games with me.  Shoutout to Mark Howard for already stepping up to the plate to help.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott

Edited by bigd0g - 6/08/14 at 9:00am
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:04pm
Events:
  • Braemar Stone
  • Open Stone
  • Heavy Weight for Distance (HWFD)
  • Light Weight for Distance (LWFD)
  • Caber
  • Weight for Height (WFH)

Non-Pro classes will have the option of throwing Heavy Hammer (HH) if time/weather permits.

Confirmed athletes:

Pro
  • Mike Zolkiewicz
  • Dave Barron
  • Beau Fay
  • Gerard Benderoth
  • Hapy Mayer

Masters

• Ken Gustavson
  • Robert Sims
  • Al Dargie
  • Scott DePanfilis
  • Bill Cotter

Amateur

• Eric Ricker
  • Rob Meulenberg
  • John McKenney
  • Steve Laser
  • Matt Bruneaux
  • Scott Sideleau
  • John Sullivan (?)

Women

• Nikita Halteman
  • Katherine Richardson
  • Alycia Murray
  • Hope Benjamin
  • Lacy Kastner (?)
  • Heather McKenzie (?)
  • Julie D. (?)

Masters Women

• Terri James
  • Denise Houseman
  • Nancy Baker Fowler

(?) Indicates that you've expressed interest, but that I don't have a registration form or payment from you, so your status is unknown.

Please let me know if I've accidentally spelled any names incorrectly.

Edited by bigd0g - 6/09/14 at 8:00pm
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:11pm
Sam told me you were taking over.  You'll do great.

I'll be there to throw and I will help out in any way that I can.  I plan on leaving earlier this year to not get stuck in the Boston traffic (miserable last year), so I can even come by to help setup on Friday.

One question...I looked on the registration form and we can't park where we did last year?  That was a pretty nice setup we had.

See you in ALB.
www.sportkilt.com
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:18pm
Scott, I'd love to put in a bid for Pro class but I have a prior obligation that day. 

Please keep me in mind for future dates! Good luck man, I know you'll do great!!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/22/14 at 8:29pm
Correction on classes: Pro, Masters, Amateur, Lightweight, Women.

I neglected to mention Masters in the OP. Sorry.
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 7:08am
Rob, I'll ask about athlete parking at the next meeting. The committee is still working on the grounds map for this year, but I don't think much has changed. The registration form just lists that parking fees aren't covered by the admission fee, if there is one.

I'll keep you updated on parking as things develop. Since we're inside the fence this year, they're considering just letting it be unmanaged.
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 11:01am
I've updated the link in the OP that points to the Athlete Registration Form.  It now has a checkbox for Masters athletes to use.
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 1:47pm
Scott, ask about the 1 turkey leg limit as well. Good luck!!! Hope I can make it down.

D Stewart
I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/23/14 at 4:40pm
Haha!  Will do, Don.

I agree that no one should be denied the right to dual-wield turkey legs.  This is America.

LOL
Jmckenney View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jmckenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/24/14 at 4:15pm
Scott,

Form sent out today.  I will assist in anyway to help with the games.

John
mbruneaux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbruneaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/14 at 10:24pm
Anyone local to the games throwing anytime soon?
lasemase72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lasemase72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/14 at 1:10pm
Pumped for this. Will be my first games this year since I can't make Albany.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.
jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/27/14 at 8:58pm
I'm planning on being there this year. Reg and check in mail soon. Jackie might be able to come and help also.
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/14 at 6:43pm
Shameless bump.  :)
mbruneaux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbruneaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/14 at 9:32pm
Excited to do this, my boys, 8 and 11, are helping me practice the events.  How tall are the WFH and WFD implements?  I built some of my own and made them 18 inches per the rules.  All I need now is to cut down a tree!
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/14 at 4:30am
Originally posted by mbruneaux mbruneaux wrote:

How tall are the WFH and WFD implements?  I built some of my own and made them 18 inches per the rules.  All I need now is to cut down a tree!

Implements can be no longer than 18" from bottom of weight to the top of the handle.  Typically implements used for height are shorter so they don't drag on the swing through.  In this case, handle is connected directly to weight with a single link.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/14 at 9:07am
Sorry, but I'm out for this competition. I'm dealing with bad case of tendinitis in my throwing arm. No lifting or throwing for at least 3-4 weeks.
Throw far
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
thefrc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thefrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/14 at 10:03am
I'll be there. Sent in the check yesterday, and it's my first time at RI.

I'm also happy to help do distances, help set up, or shag weights or whatever.

Is there place for somewhere to put a pop-up tent and setup chairs/coolers etc ?
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/14 at 10:27am
We have limited spots for pop-up tents on our small field, inside the fence.  First come, first serve.

Just try not to obstruct the view from either of the grand stands and there shouldn't be a problem...

Terri J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Terri J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/21/14 at 2:33am
application away in the mail
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/23/14 at 1:25pm
There appears to be some confusion as to the date of the event.  Please note that the date in this thread, on the application form, the Rhode Island Scottish Festival page on Facebook, and RIScot.org are all correct.  More clearly...

Sat, 14-June-2014 // 9am - 5pm // Washington County Fairgrounds, Richmond, RI // Rain or Shine

The issue appears to be tied to a Clan Rose Society of America event page on Facebook, which incorrectly lists the date of our event.  For some users, this page comes up first when performing a Facebook search.  I have contacted the owners of that page
and requested the necessary corrections.

Again, the official Facebook page, as listed in the OP, is: https://www.facebook.com/riscot

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers.
mbruneaux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbruneaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/14 at 11:14am
What time do we need to get there? Do we need to be there before 9AM?
avis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote avis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/14 at 11:55pm
After the last of the implements have hit the ground, and the games have ended, Sherry and I would like to invite all back to the house for the classic feeding frenzy.  i will have directions to the house and leave them with Scott and Hope at the registration table. 

Looking forward to a good games and hope you can stop by for sustenance before you begin your trek out of the badlands of Rhode Island.  The house is 6 miles from the fairgrounds, so even Rhodies won't have to pack a lunch....to get to ...lunch...

All are welcome with your collective traveling clans. 

Bill Cotter
character is destiny
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/14 at 8:18am
I've updated the athlete performance list in the 2nd post from the top.  Thumbs Up

At this point, I'm scratching the Lightweight competition, as the interest level simply isn't there.  Sorry.

Originally posted by mbruneaux mbruneaux wrote:

What time do we need to get there? Do we need to be there before 9AM?

I would suggest athletes are on the field by 8:30am.

I want to start at 9:00am.  If you show up at 9:00am, then we've started without you.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/14 at 8:35am
Hey Scott,Terri sent her fee and application in, was supposed to be there Saturday(6/7) via Priority mail( can give you the tracking number if needed)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/14 at 8:58am
I'll check the mail again soon.  Thanks for the heads-up.
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/14 at 8:00pm
We have enough competitors to have a separately scored Women's Masters class.  I've updated the athlete list above.
thefrc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/14 at 9:10pm
Do you need any help setting up the standards or the fields ahead of time? I assume they have to go up in the morning before throwing?
mbruneaux View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbruneaux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/14 at 6:26pm
Thank you everyone for a great contest, I really appreciate all the advice and encouragement.  I set all PRs!
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/14 at 5:57am
Scott -  thank you and a great job with the games.  Also big shout out to Mark Howard, Dan Wood, Ken G and the others helping out to make this a smooth running games.  Had a great day out with old friends and a few new ones as well.  
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic