Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Victor Sloan Training Log

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victor Sloan Training Log
    Posted: 5/09/14 at 8:31pm
So I began by walking to the practice field of the town's local university to see if I could find a halfway decent log I could use as a practice caber for my absolute beginning. The first piece I found was very badly balanced coupled with my bad balance of having never done the activity before. I got a bit scratched up and was not able to turn it. After a few tosses, the thing broke so I threw it away.  

As I continued looking, I happened across a board which was perhaps a 6"X6", maybe a little smaller, at about 12 feet in length. I know, this is much lighter than a real caber at about 40 or 50 lbs, but it is great for me considering I still have a long way to go for building up my strength. The board is badly warped from being left outside, getting wet, then being dried by the sun so it throws off my balance but beggars can't be choosers! 

My best friend and I are going to train together and on days that we go to his house, he has a few telephone poles we can throw once we dig them up and cover the ends we grab to protect us from splinters. Meanwhile, on days I train alone, I have my board to use.

My plan is since I have to go into town with my wife at about 5:30 AM, the only way I can train in the morning is to get up at 4 AM. My alarm is set and here is to hoping I don't accidentally sleep in! 

I want to go down to the practice field, throw my practice caber about 15 or 20 times, do some running, and maybe a few push ups and pull ups if I still have the strength left. I know I need to do a lot of core and cardio work to balance out the strength training so I will keep everyone updated!
Beginning training for the games!
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/14 at 4:09am
Alright, so I got to the field around 4:30 this morning for training. I must say I seriously underestimated how much time I would need to complete the goal I set aside last night as well as the difficulty in consecutive tosses on a practice caber, even if it is a lightweight one. Please bear in mind I'm not in great shape so it is best that I start with such a low weight.

Let's just say it is also difficult to toss when the practice caber is filled with water from yesterday's rain and it was difficult to grip with wet hands, BUT!

I was able to complete 10 full tosses plus a few failed attempts but I at least wasn't going to stop until I got 10! I'm a bit tired, but I'm going to keep training and getting better!
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 6:47am
Sadly I have already had an issue with keeping up with my training. It can be difficult when I'm always on the move, but I'm not making excuses! I'll start pushing much harder especially since I've started learning about possibilities for improvised weights!
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 6:56am
Victor,

A question that has been nagging at me -- this caber toss you are training for, is it a single caber challenge event at a festival or is it part of a larger highland games?  If the latter, I am fairly certain that the athletic director won't let you compete in only the caber.  The rest of the thrown events would likely be required.  You may want to check on that before you lock in a training program.

Tom

Edited by TomLawrence - 5/13/14 at 8:40am
Aim high. Stay hungry.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 8:12am
Originally posted by VeritasVS VeritasVS wrote:

Sadly I have already had an issue with keeping up with my training. It can be difficult when I'm always on the move, but I'm not making excuses! I'll start pushing much harder especially since I've started learning about possibilities for improvised weights!

If you want it, you will find a way.  If you don't, you will find an excuse.  When you read through the other logs here, know that there is a reason we do what we do.  

And like Tom said, you can't just compete in the caber toss. 
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 9:29am
Thanks guys. As I have done more research, I have become aware that I have to compete in all of the challenges which is great and I'm looking forward to it! I really want it so I will do it no matter what. I am not making excuses for myself--it is inexcusable that I have missed out on training but this is something I have to get into the swing of as I have no background in working out at least as far as keeping a routine like many of you have. It isn't easy for any of us but it will be especially hard for me because I am generally not fitness motivated but I have been feeling more motivated lately but I have to build the good habits and break the bad ones.

I will keep updating this training log whether anyone is interested or not but I will train and compete!

I know there is a reason you all do what you do and it's wonderful but in my current situation I must improvise and I believe the fact that I am willing to improvise and still train when I have pretty much nothing shows that I want it.

Anyway thanks again guys!
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 10:00am
Ok, so I got a little bit of bodyweight exercise training done. Not much but not bad considering I'm stuck in a tiny study room all day today until time for work. Here goes:

10 slow, breathing push ups

20 slow squats

10 explosive pushups

10 jumping squats

repeat, making a total of 40 pushups and 60 squats.

It's nothing, I know, but it is a good start for me given my asthma and bad physical condition.
I will improve continually~!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 11:54am
That's far from nothing.  Stay on it.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 12:21pm
Thank you! I greatly appreciate it and I will!
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 12:26pm
The best advice I can give:  don't break cabers.  You'll wear out your welcome quickly.
...Josh
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 12:35pm
I imagine you've broken at least one? And I will try not to!
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 12:40pm
There's a difference between taking a competent attempt at turning a caber and having the caber break, and breaking a caber through incompetence.  

Remember:  that's someone else's property.  It's on loan to you.  In front of witnesses.  Act accordingly.
...Josh
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 12:59pm
I completely understand! I would never treat another's property with anything but the utmost respect. Thank you
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 1:38pm
Just added another 10 deep breath push ups, 20 slow squats, 10 explosive push ups, and 10 jumping squats
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 3:31pm
http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

Hi! I'm Sean! I'm an asshole. And I'm going against my gut feeling that this log is potentially the greatest internet troll job Mark Valenti has ever done and I'm going to give you the above collection of awesomeness.

I have no idea why this is important to you but it is and that's good. But unless you're the world's greatest genetic freak, you won't be able to bodyweight train your way through this. Sand is cheap. So's talk.

Load up and work. Read the logs here. See what guys are lifting. And eating. And understand that I wander around at 6'2" and 230 and I'm freaking DAINTY around here.

If you're going to do this, do it like you mean it.

Oh and if you're going to use telephone poles, make sure they have extra creosote.
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 8:49pm
Ross Enamait is the man!!!

Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 11:08pm
Nice post, Dainty Sean!  Get it done, Vic!
Highland Games 40+ Masters Competitor &
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Purple Belt
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 11:11pm
BTW, Vic - if you just go to a Scottish Festival that has a "Novice" division for the games, they will show you how to do each event & help you. Register for a local comp & try it.
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

http://www.rosstraining.com/sandbagconstructionkit.pdf

Hi! I'm Sean! I'm an asshole. And I'm going against my gut feeling that this log is potentially the greatest internet troll job Mark Valenti has ever done and I'm going to give you the above collection of awesomeness.

I have no idea why this is important to you but it is and that's good. But unless you're the world's greatest genetic freak, you won't be able to bodyweight train your way through this. Sand is cheap. So's talk.

Load up and work. Read the logs here. See what guys are lifting. And eating. And understand that I wander around at 6'2" and 230 and I'm freaking DAINTY around here.

If you're going to do this, do it like you mean it.

Oh and if you're going to use telephone poles, make sure they have extra creosote.

Hi Sean! I'm Victor and nope, no trolling here! I'm serious. I never expected to get it done with bodyweight exercises alone. I've been looking into doing sandbags and concrete weights for the past few days and once I have some freed up funds (yes, even for that tiny amount of cost) then I will most definitely jump on the opportunity to make a sandbag I can use to work out!

I really appreciate the link to the document as it is very helpful! Seeing some of the price figures is also quite nice just to see how inexpensive and accessible it is!

Thanks so much!
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/13/14 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by eclarkhb eclarkhb wrote:

BTW, Vic - if you just go to a Scottish Festival that has a "Novice" division for the games, they will show you how to do each event & help you. Register for a local comp & try it.

Thank you! I most definitely will get it done and as for signing up for a festival with a novice division, I will have to do more research as I honestly haven't found much yet about the divisions.

Will keep you all updated!
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/14 at 12:08am
And since I see others givings specs on their builds and updates as they go along for weight, I am 6' tall and floating somewhere between 230 and 240 lbs, not in great shape and overweight. My supposed target weight is 200 but I want to be 240 in muscle by the time I've gotten into condition for the games.
eclarkhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclarkhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/14 at 8:48am
You're over-thinking this. 
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/14/14 at 8:51pm
Alright thanks. I've just never done anything like this before.
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/14 at 8:48pm
Not much from me, but 10 explosive push ups and 10 jumping squats last night, and today 2 x 50 yard sprints.

Will do much more tomorrow!
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/19/14 at 11:56am
Not much lately but will be getting back into the swing of things! Will be making a 200 lb adjustable weight sandbag, but for now until I manage to get the materials gathered, I have filled 2 1 galled milk jugs to make 2 8 lb weights. Will be ok for working on forearms and other smaller muscles. I have also filled 2 5-gallon oil jugs with water to make 2 40 lb weights to add weight to my bodyweight squats and work other bigger muscles for now.

Not optimum but it will work for now!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/14 at 1:15pm

Aim high. Stay hungry.
VeritasVS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeritasVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/14 at 11:27pm
Hello! Thank you so much for caring enough to check in on me! I am still serious about this goal though I have backslid on my training. I am working on getting going again though! I have some temporary water jug weights for light lifting until I get the chance to make my sand bags! Sadly I still haven't been able to muster my resources yet but over time I'm doing it!

There are doubts and I have a hard time keeping up with it but I absolutely will do it no matter how long it takes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic