FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Utah ScotFest Updates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/14 at 12:43pm
Totally incredible day from both the Dans.  Wow.  Nice work!
www.sportkilt.com
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/14 at 12:48pm
Fantastic throwing Dan! There's something about that Utah air that makes things go far - can't wait to see the video.
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/14 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Mr. Natural Mr. Natural wrote:

can't wait to see the video.

Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/14 at 2:54pm

Can't thank Gordon enough for having me.  It was an honor to be on that field.  

Jeff, thank you so much for all that you did all day!  It was great to meet you! Excellent work, all day.  Thank you for setting the ground work through the years to even make it possible for me to throw there this weekend.  Your work is greatly appreciated.

What a humbling day it was.  Praise God for His incredible blessing!

I'll post the videos that I have, as I process them.  I've got the heavy hammer one done with a slow mo clip as well.  My series went: 122'+, 122'+, 124' or 126', (can't remember), then extras at 128'+, 132'2.75", 131'10'. Special thanks to Ryan Stewart for having me take extras as I was just going to rest up for the light hammer. Glad I listened!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=irkI5EzyEw0
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/14 at 3:10pm
THAT....was a pretty, pretty throw.
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/14 at 11:46am
Thanks, Sean! I still need to accelerate the ball on my right more and finish my throw ... left center is where my best ones are, so we'll see if I can get that lined up this season.  

Here's the light hammer.  157'7.25" 

I believe my series was: 154'+, 154'+, 157'7.25', 157'7", 155'+, 156'+.  

agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/14 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

Stewart opened my eyes to my weight flaw at ABQ and practice has been the best in my life by a long shot

You can't drop a line like this and leave without explanation. What was the flaw?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/14 at 2:51pm
^^ this!!
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/14 at 10:51am
Haha!  Craig and AGM, it's something most everyone does already, but wound up being something I never worked on nor fixed. I didn't mean to drop it and not talk about it - I addressed it on Facebook, but didn't get a chance to share it here yet.   

My initial cast was incredibly steep.  Stewart mentioned it to me at ABQ and told me to try flattening it out a bit.  I went out that next week in practice and began feeling the "sit" and "drive" of the second turn that everyone talks about.  Because my cast was so steep, I was blowing through my turns and never hitting any positions to really drive to the trig or finish my throw.  My first HWFD practice I took my weight out to 45'11", which was huge for me, considering my best practice throw last year was maybe 43 or 44 feet.  I was still unfamiliar with the positions and counter, but things were getting better.  

My first LWFD practice was at 85'11", which was huge considering I was practicing in the 78'-81' range.  10 years into the sport, and I'm finally able to feel the weight counter and I can sprint with it to the trig.  

This is something that is so simple and elementary that I can't believe I didn't catch it years ago, and wish I had.  This weekend I was watching a number of amateurs that had already figured this "revolutionary" tweak out and I was kicking myself for not putting it together earlier.

Now, we'll see if that light weight weighs in at the Post Office.  It was 28 even on the calibrated scale there, so I'm waiting to post the video of the throw until I get verification.  I don't want to lay claim, officially, on something until I get the green light that everything was legit.  

My light weight series, went 87'2" (over a foot PR and the first time I had broken 86 feet in more than two years). I knew then that the tweak was working.  Here's my full series:
87'2", 88'+ (foul), 91'9".  Then in extras I went: 91'9" (foul), 90'9", 94'9.25".  I'm working to get used to the sprint to the trig and counter, as I'm in positions I've never been in for the last 10 years in the sport.  Will I ever throw that far again?  Who knows? I do know I'll keep training hard to throw further than that. Is an eight foot PR hard to believe ... you bet it is!  I didn't believe it myself.  Many of you know that the weights, and especially the light weight, have been a long-standing struggle for me, so to have a day like Saturday was a bit tough to grasp.  As soon as I get the green light on the weight verification, I'll post the video - not trying to "hide" it, just want that last piece of verification before I can rightfully claim that record.  

Hope that helps!  A bit long-winded, I know, but that's what I've changed!  
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/14 at 11:41am
Was that with the Polanik weight? I think Sean went 95+ with it, but found out it was an inch too long.

Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

10 years into the sport, and I'm finally able to feel the weight counter and I can sprint with it to the trig.  

24 years in, and I'm still waiting. Jerk!
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/14 at 11:54am
"This weekend I was watching a number of amateurs that had already figured this "revolutionary" tweak out and I was kicking myself for not putting it together earlier."
What Games were you watching lol?
The man in the arena.
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/14 at 12:02pm
Dave, yes it was a Polanik with a D handle. We made sure it was the correct length and weight before the games. Don't want that extra link thing happening again. Never know what the post office scale will say though. Should be good.
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic