Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Jon Hereth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/14 at 5:55pm
7/22/14

Throwing ....in a heat index of 115 degrees.. beautiful day...

Open stone:
1-2 pivot x 5
Glide x 10ish best was 40'

LWFD x 15 best was 67'

Light Hammer x 10 - best of 97'

All in all a very mediocre day of throwing. I'm sure the heat and lack of sleep I've been getting are playing into it but at least I got to get some footwork and motions in.. just like fishing.. a bad day of throwing is still better than a good day of almost everything else.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/23/14 at 1:29pm
7/23/14

Open stone
1-2 pivot drill from the front x5ish- hit 39+ twice PR

Glide x 10ish - Not one under 41 and several right at 43, much more pop today and the best practice throwing sesh I've had to date

Power Snatches - First time snatching in about 8 mo

135 x 2
185 x 2
225 x 1
245 x 1 easy
275 x 0 missed
Gonna try to start incorporating more olifts when in season.

Band pull aparts x 50
Kb Swings 65lbs x 50
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/14 at 7:17am
7/28/14
2 hour throw sesh:

Sheaf x 15ish - Feeling better - Consistently hitting a 27' branch

LWFD x 15ish - avg mid 60s, best of 68. Footwork felt pretty good but felt super slow on the sprint

McKim showed up and we threw WOB and L Hammer

WOB x 10ish - First 5 felt like crap- Last 5 felt the best this event has felt after some coaching

Light Hammer x 5ish - Hammer broke so we didn't get as many throws here. Best of 100+. Poor showing here, can't keep my arms long for the life of me. Need to practice this much more.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/14 at 1:09pm
7/28/14

Movement Prep/Mobility

Box Jumps:
45" 5x2

Power Snatch

135lb x 5 with OH squat
205lb x 3
255lb x 1 PR
275lb x 1 PR
295lb x 1 Huge PR - Not sure where this came from but this flew up pretty fast.. granted I haven't snatched much at all and def have not snatched in the last 8 months so PRs are bound to happen. Still... I think throwing has really helped my explosiveness

Pendlay Rows
345lbs 3 x 5

Awesome day.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 7:40am
7/29/14

LWFD x 15ish.. Very inconsistent day. Had a lot of really bad and a PR haha. Got a new D-Handle from kilted athletics. Felt like heaven on my hand but on about half of my throws seemed to not be able to let go of it and would release late. I'm sure this will go away with time. That said about have of my throws were far to the left and low 60s and about the other half were 69+ with 3-4 being over 70 and the best being 74+ which is a PR.   
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/14 at 1:12pm
7/30/14

Exhausted this day, 3 hrs of sleep the night before: decided to go train anyways.

Power cleans up to:
225lbs x 3
275lbs x 2
315lbs x 2
365lbs x 0,0,0
315lbs x 2

The 365 is there, think I was just too tired to catch it and stand up with it. Did some band pull aparts after this and went home and slept

7/31/14

Light hammer x 20ish - Still think the fatigue from the day before affected this. Worst hammer day I've had in a long time. Avg'd low mid 90s with the best being 98. Couldn't keep my arms long for the life of me and had no hip invovlement.

8/1/14

Open stone:
1,2 pivot from the front x 5ish - Best was 40' a PR from the front

Glide x 10ish- Not a single throw under 40, most were 42ish and the best was 44 which is a PR for me.

Good day, much better than the last two.

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/14 at 1:19pm
That's more like it, boss. 

The hammer numbers make sense to me as you cleaned the day before so your pop was gone. Nothing to worry about man, progress!!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/14 at 4:38pm
Appreciate it Jeff! Hopefully I can get this to translate in the games.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 7:07am
8/3/14

LWFD x 15ish Most were high 60s, best was spot on 70. Not a bad day, feel like my foot work is pretty consistent, just need to get faster and continue to figure out how to block/finish well.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 3:09pm
8/4/14

Light Hammer x 5ish - Finally felt like I was remembering my cues and felt a little better and then my hammer brok on the 5th throw. Best of 101.

Power Snatch
135 x 3
205 x 2
275 x 1
305 x 0,0 - First one I just barely missed, caught it, just lost my balance. This will fall soon

Neutral grip pullups 3 x10
Pushups 3 x 20

305 miss

275 snatch

Edited by jonhereth - 8/04/14 at 3:48pm
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/14 at 7:12am
8/5/14

HWFD and H Hammer

HWFD x 15ish - Most consistent HW practice I've had yet. Most were around 29 and had 2-3 that were 30+. First time Ive broken 30 more than once in the same practice. Footwork felt pretty good but I'm still throwing off of my back leg and not hitting a very hard block. Once I can figure this out I feel like all of my throws will explode.

H Hammer x 15ish - Much more consistent here - Most were high 70s low 80s with the best being 84+. Same thing here. Need to get my hips more involved and keep my arms longer. Good day tho.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/14 at 1:24pm
8/6/14

Stone and Sheaf

Standing no reverse x 5, best of 41. Furtherest I've thrown from the front
Glide x 15ish - two 41s, a 44 and the rest 42s and 43s. The 44 ties my PR and this is the most consistent my throws have been. You can see that my numbers are not that different with a glide than from the front. I feel like that is because I don't block very well when I glide. If I can figure out how to stick my left foot and block I feel like my throws will really jump.

Sheaf x 10ish. Hard to be objective since I dont have standards but def felt the most consistent to date:

Good day.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/14 at 2:55pm
8/8/14

LWFD, Open stone

Lwfd x 15ish - first 5 were slow, avg low/mid 60s. Started to find my wheels after that and avg'd high 60s low 70s with two that were 73+. Most throws over 70 in a single practice ever.

Open stone
glide x 15ish - Most were 43+, couple were 44+ and a random outlier at 46. Huge practice PR. Great day here

Power clean/Jerk
225 x 2
315 x 2 x 3 sets

Good day!
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/14 at 2:18pm
8/11/14

Movement Prep/Mobility

Power snatch

135 x 3
225 x 2
275 x 1
305 x lots of misses.. Really frustrating.. The weight is there, just missing the catch. Oh well, If I was smart I'd drop to 250ish and got lots of volume.. we will see haha.

Throws tomorrow!! Got some new tanel turf shoes so I'm excited to try them out!!
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/14 at 6:51pm
8/12/14

Open stone and light hammer

Open stone-
From the front x7ish -all but one were over 40 and the best was 43..best I've had from the front

Glide x 10ish -none under 42, several at 44, 45 and two over 46 with the best at 46'5".. huge pr...feeling more confident here.

Light hammer x 10ish - most were 103 with the best at 105. Not where I want to be but more consistent and ball speed was faster..

Rest till Topeka on Saturday...
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 10:53pm
8/16/14

Topeka Classic Highlands Games Write-up

Day started cloudy and unbelievably cool for KS in August. I think I was the only A that ended up showing up so I threw with the B class and had a great time.

Braemer 22lbs - 37'7" PR - Pretty happy with this.. would love to hit 40 soon

Open Stone - 42'10" - fouled a 43-44 and it was a heavy ugly stone but still not where I want to be with the open.

WOB - won at 13' so I tried to PR at 14'6" and hit the bar but no dice.. It will be there soon

HWFD- 33+. Not a PR but every throw was 33 so def the most consistent here

LWFD- 70'6" PR - It has been there in practice so it was nice to break 70 in a games. I think with the right implement, a good day, a little tail wind and some luck that mid to high 70s will be in the cards soon

Heavy Hammer - 83'3" PR - Still not where I need to be. Timing feels off and my release is terrible. Oh well just need to practice more.

Light Hammer - 101'7" PR - see above

Caber - Fairly big stick 17+ ft and almost no taper. Hit 85 degrees 2x. This is def my worst event. Haven't been able to practice it at all ouside of games. Need to build myself one.

Sheaf - 24' - Super loose bag, but still kind of frustrated I only hit 24 after hitting 28 in my last games. This was our last event so I took a cpl more pulls afterwards and cleared 26' so that made me feel a little better.

All in all a good day with a cpl of PRs. Still not where I would like to be but I am making progress. Thanks to Darrin Plank for running a great event!
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 10:57pm
8/18/19

Movement Prep/Mobility

Still a little sore but wanted to get at least one training day in before the Lucas Highland Games this upcoming weekend.

Clean and Jerk - or in my case Floor to Overhead in the ugliest way possible
70kg x 3
110kg x 3
140kg x 3
150 kg x 1
160 kg x 1

Pendlay Rows
160kg 3x3

Ring Pull-up
3x5
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 7:09am
Awesome throwing man! The numbers will rise. They are already way higher than earlier in the year. No worries. 

Also

Originally posted by jonhereth jonhereth wrote:

Clean and Jerk - or in my case Floor to Overhead in the ugliest way possible

I lol'd
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 1:18pm
Haha, thanks Jeff. I have 5 more games between now and mid October so hopefully my technique issues will continue to resolve themselves.... As for the clean and jerk, the jerk isn't too bad.. but I'd def consider the clean a "power split flailing clean" haha...I appreciate the feed back sir!.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/14 at 9:38am
8/20/14

Open Stone, LWFD and Light Hammer

Open Stone 17#
Front the front x 8 best of 42' -
Glide x 10 avg of 42, best of 44'
Feel like I am hitting my positions from the front pretty well but feel like I can't hit the same positions when I try to glide.

LWFD x 10ish best of 68'
Not a bad day here, not a great day. Felt slow and still cannot hit a good block for the life of me. Every throw felt off of my back leg

Light Hammer x 10ish best of 100+

I hate the hammers haha. One day I feel like my winds are awesome and I can't release it well, other days I feel like my release is great and I wind like a t-rex. Oh well, practice practice

Lucas on Saturday
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 6:08pm
8/23/14

Lucas Highland Games Write-Up

Drove out to Lucas, KS Friday night as it was about 4 hours from KC. Breakfast was at 8 and the games started around 10. It was HOT.. think the high of the day was 105 degrees. I was the only A so I was guaranteed a win and I threw with the C's to help judge and coach.

WOB - best throw was 14'1" - one inch PR!! Set it to 14'1" so I could try to PR and got it haha. Set the bar to 15' after that and had the height, just couldn't get it over. It will happen soon.

Heavy Hammer - best of 81'7"- not a terrible throw for me and only about 20" off of my PR but this still needs a lot of work.

Light Hammer- best of 101'7" - again only a few inches off of my games PR but still doesn't feel good. After watching the video I can see how short my arms get when the weight is behind and I will be working on correcting that.

Braemer - 23lb stone - 36'11" - Pretty happy with this - 8" off of my PR with a heavier uglier stone. Still not opening up my chest very well.

Open stone - 44'10.5" - PR. I have been wanting to break 45' in a games so bad I I throw 44'10-44'10.5"...3x haha.. Same with the braemer, when I can get my chest to open I think that my numbers will take a signifigant jump.

HWFD - best of 32'6" - Threw 32 consistently. Think I'm dragging the weight through my second spin which is causing me to throw off of my back foot and lose a lot of power.

LWFD - best of 69'3" - not a bad throw but my hand was hurting and I was pretty hot and tired by this point. Form felt and looked pretty good, drifted to the left a little but hoping with a little more speed some bigger numbers are on there way.

Caber- Finally got some consistent flips. Still pulling way too late. Think the second caber was 17' 105lbs and got an 11. Once I can get some more reps I think I will really like this event.

Sheaf- 24', hit the bar at 26' 3x - Just no juice left.

Overall good day, especailly with the heat. Hit two PRs and threw the rest of the events other than sheaf and HWFD within a cpl of inches of my games PRs.

Biggest take aways after watching the video are that I need to keep my arms long when the hammer is behind me and get more extension, open my chest with the stones and not drag the weight with HWFD. Video is posted below and I welcome critique and suggestions. Need to get better.

Buffalo in two weeks!!

http://youtu.be/WcY21q1mSss   
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 6:13pm
8/24/14

Deadlifts:
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
405 x 3
505 x 6 - Not bad, still sore from the games yesterday
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 10:35am
Looking good bud. Excited to get some more games in with you soon. Keep up the good work man.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 1:33pm
Thank Ryan!! See you in Tulsa hopefully?

8/25/14

Power Snatch
225lb x 2 x 4 sets

Band pull aparts 4x25
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 8:00pm
Yeah buddy, I will be there. 
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 9:52am
Awesome Ryan!!

8/26/14

Light Hammer and Open Stone

Light Hammer x 15ish - Really worked on extending my arms when the weight was behind me and while I'm not comfortable with it quite yet, it made a drastic difference in the distances I hit. Avg'd low 100s with one at 109 and one at 107+. Still lots to work on here but feel like I can progress

Open stone - Not a bad day, really working on keeping my chest open and punching and avoiding letting my left shoulder drop and falling through my left side
Braemer stance x 8ish - best of 42'
Glide x 10ish - avg 43, best of 45' - more in the tank, just need to hip my positions better and faster.

Hot!! But good day! Excited for Buffalo
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 5:18pm
8/28/14

Movement Prep/ Mobility.. Right hip has been tight and pinchy some so did some posterior glide stuff with a heavy band and felt much better

Ground to Overhead ... or in some circles better know as a power clean to push press

70kg x 5
110kg x 3
140kg x 3x3 The push presses were easy at this weight but working on staying connected to the bar with with clean

Pendlay Row x5 straight into RDls x 5
110kg x 3 rounds

Good Day
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/30/14 at 3:41pm
8/29/14

Light Hammer, HWFD, LWFD

Light Hammer x 15ish - Really working on keeping my arms extended and while it is still different and uncomfortable, avg'd 105-106ft and had a 109 and 112! Best Hammer day I've had yet!

HWFD x10ish - Working on casting the weight in front of me more do I am not dragging the weight but pushing it. Best couple at 29+ - Not a lot of juice here but the motions felt better

LWFD x 10ish - Working on just increasing my speed here but was pretty spent by this point, Best of 68+

Good Day
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 8:19am
9/1/14

Movement Prep/Mobility

Power Snatchs
135 x 5
185 x 3
225 x2x2 - This felt extraordinarily heavy today so I stopped at two sets

Conditioning circuit x 3 rounds
Jump Rope x 50
Suit Case DLs 200lb x 5 per side
KB Swings 65lbs x 25
Prowler +45lbs x 60yds

This was not quite terrible but pretty close
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/08/14 at 1:58pm
9/6/14

Buffalo Highland Games write up.

Drove down about 2.5 hours that morning. It was pouring but stopped about 930 and we got started at 10.

Braemer- Pretty nice 22lb rock. 38+ which was a PR. Feeling better here. Still take my R leg of the ground too early and feel like I lose some potential force transfer.

Open - Another nice 16lb. Went 44+ and was a few inchs short of a PR. Felt like I should have PRd this but just wasn't in the cards.

HWFD - Best was 35+ on my last extra. Think I need to start taking more warmups, it always feels like it takes me a couple of throws to get my technique dialed in. Only the second time I've thrown over 35 this season though so nothing to complain about

LWFD - Best of 68+ Just felt slow. Need to work on waiting and sinking more in my first turn.

H Hammer - Best of 85+. PR. Fouled an 86. Need to get this over 90.

L Hammer - Best of 106+ PR. Would like to get this up around 115, just feels like I have such a small timing window which I always seem to miss haha.

WOB - Every one went out at 13' so I jumped to 14'6" for a PR and just couldn't make it happen. Hit the bar a couple of times and had one that I left out front that I was told went almost a foot above the bar. Strength is there I just need to make it happen.

Sheaf - First time throwing a 16lb sheaf. Felt really good. Only missed one throw till I maxed out the standards at 30 foot. Was told that my last throw was a good 2-3 feet over the 30' bar. Now if I could only get my 20lb sheaf to 30ft haha.

Caber- Was 16' and 107lbs... before being soaked by the rain the previous night and that morning. It was heavy and slick. Nobody turned it. Couple ppl managed a few 75 degrees including myself but def pretty tough. Still need to get better at this. Def my worst event due to the lack of practice.

All in all a great day and probably the most complete competition I've had yet. Big thanks to Jamie Channel for putting the games on. Love the opportunities to get out and throw. Hopefully I can make some improvements and be ready for Tulsa in 2 weeks.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic