Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Jon Hereth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/16 at 8:27am
Originally posted by jonhereth jonhereth wrote:

1/7/15

Push Press: up to 295 x 1 - This was really easy, but also the heaviest I've put anything over head since dislocating my elbow back around Easter. Decided to push press instead of jerk as it just felt more stable.

5 rounds
Strap rows x 10
Push-ups x 10

Banded biceps curls

+1
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/08/16 at 2:47pm
1/8/15

LWFD x 10ish. Really worked on waiting on the first turn. Best of 75ft. Really pretty happy with this as I had ZERO pop today.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/16 at 7:25am
1/9/16

Snatches - First time catching a snatch since dislocating my elbow in March. Felt pretty solid overall.

135lbs 5x2
185lbs 5x1

3 rounds of
DB 90/90s 20lbs x 10
Curls 20lbs x 10
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/16 at 1:07pm
1/11/16

Last day of throwing before NS .. It was a balmy 29 degrees and windy but the show must go on..

Stone - Best of 46 from the front - Best of 47 glide

WOB - Cleared 14, hit the bar at 15 several times.. Pretty happy with this condsidering the cold.

Now rest..
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/12/16 at 7:55pm
Good luck at N/S Jon. Have thrown the Am day (non-N/S) the past 2 years and skipping this year but I have enjoyed that games both years! 
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/16 at 8:00am
North South Write-up

Plain and short - I sucked. Against the competition and against my own standards. Almost didn't do a write up because of it, but it's been humbling and an invaluable learning experience.

Open Stone - First throw rolled off my hand and I'm pretty sure dislocated my forefinger. Not an excuse for anything cause it didn't feel like anything more than a tiny sprain at the time but man it was swollen the next day. Kinda got in my own head and fouled the second throw. Glided the 3rd for a crummy 43' . This took last. Lack of strength from the surgery very apparent here.

HWFD - 35+ this was good for 5th. Not hugely dissappointed but never go a good push on this.

LWFD - 70+ Kept landing too closed off. Was rushing through my positions and ended with blocking myself off. Very dissapoointed with this, since that is not a good throw for me. This was good for 9th.

H Hammer - 91+ Happy with this as it was a 3ft games PR for me. Still only good for 7th, but feel like I have lots of room to grow and hope to see big things this year in the hammers.

Caber - It was pretty big, think they said 19.5' and 130lbs. Per usual had no probs with picks but pulled about a half hour late and kept nose diving into the ground. Got some vids of this tho and have some direction on where to improve. Last

Sheaf - the height events are where my lack of strength for the last 6 months really showed. Cleared 24 which put me at 9th but just didn't have the horsepower at the end of the day like I normally do.

WOB - 13' Last. See above.

Took last at the contest. Very humbling but like I said in the beginning, a great learning experience and very motivating.

Now here were the positives: This was one of the greatest HG experiences I have ever been a part of. KC put on a great weekend, from the Friday night dinner, to the smooth operation of the games itself, to the awards. Everything was exceptional and it was a treat getting to compete before such a large crowd. The crowd got into these games unlike I've ever seen before, cheering for everyone by name, making drunken bets on the height events. It was great. Scott took some sheaf pulls at 39'10" which I believe would have been a new am world record and hit the bar 2-3x. We had THREE athletes clear 17' in the WOB with both Daniel and Kevin hitting the bar at 18'. Kevin hit the bar at 18 twice.. Both while the implement was going UP. That will fall soon for him. Milliron is a specimen and watching him throw all day was a treat. Shane did a great job fostering camaraderie between all of us south guys, and it was great to meet the North guys as I had never competed with any of them before. Damien especially is going to go far in this sport I think.

All in all a great day, a poor showing by me, but a great learning experience. Going to get some help with my training programming for the first time and really try to get my strength back to where I need it to be. I have some big goals for 2016 and now I have a place to launch from.

Thanks again to KC and everyone else who made these games possible. It was an honor to be invited and I hope to be again...

We will see what happens!

jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/16 at 1:20pm
1/20 - 1/21

KB conditioning circuits both days

1/22

8 rounds of:

10 hard style KB swings w/65lbs
Kneeling jump up to tempo sprint x 20yds
5 KB snatches per hand 65lbs

2 rounds of:

25 pushups
5 pull ups
25 45deg hyper
25 bb curls

Real training starts next week. Enlisting some help with my programming. I've always written my own programming so a fresh pair of eyes is something I'm really looking forward to.

Also - Weighed in at 287 after Florida. I thought the extra weight would help me through, but I think it was much more of a hinderance. 283 today and going to try to get down to and compete in the 260s..

Excited and motivated for 2016
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/16 at 9:06am
1/23/16

Snatches - up to:
185 3 x 2
235 3 x 1 - These felt soooo slow but felt easy and my elbow felt good.
185lbs 5x1 Milliron style, pump and pull

3 x10 reverse hyper
3x5 Glute ham raise

Starting some new programming today. I've always done my own programming and have decided to reach out for help from a good friend Phil Stevens. On one hand I'm really excited, on the other I'm terrified haha. We will see..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/16 at 3:34pm
1/25/16

Weighted lunges with SSB - 155lbs
4x10 per leg

Strict press up to:
180lbs x 30 TR

Deadlifts up to:
475lbsx2

Mid shin rack pulls
405lbs x3
335lbs 3x3

Back extensions 2x25
Hollow body chin ups x 5x4

And then something called "simply horrible"
1 push-up, 1 sit-up, 1 lunge per leg AMAP in 5 min - Got 18 rounds
Kinda liked this, felt very movement flowish.

Def more volume than I'm used to. I think this is going to be really good for me.

Good day.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/16 at 4:02pm
"Simply horrible" isn't too far off from an Ashtanga sequence.  Before you know it, you'll join us on the dark side, a.k.a yoga, though I can't imagine anything less compatible with a kilt.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/16 at 1:02pm
Tom, I think a kilt would be perfect for it haha

1/26/16

Sheaf pulls x 20 ish. Just missing something here..

DOMS for real
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/16 at 7:06am
1/26/16

Recovery Rowing x 5k in 23ish min

Then decided to see how far I could row in a min, thanks to reading some of the other logs here. Got 361. Kinda enjoyed it.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/16 at 1:18pm
1/27/16

Speed squat up to:
330lbs 4x2.. These felt slower than I would have liked

Dips:
x5 +65lbs
x5 +90lbs
4x10 bw

Power Cleans
225lbs 5x2 - These felt very snappy and quick

Bent-over Rows
185lbs 3x10

Suitcase carries
215lbs x 75ft x 2 per hand

45 min workout
Bike Tabata tonight
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/16 at 1:27pm
1/29/16

Hang Power Snatches up to:
185lbs 6x2

Pause Squats up to: (3 sec pause)
405lbs x 5
365lbs 4x5

Push press up to:
255lbs 5x3

Deficit Speed DLs up to: (3in deficit)
415lbs 5x2

Hanging leg raises
3x10

Was supposed to do some prowler pushes too but ran out of time. Will make up for it on Sunday. Either way, finished all of this, including set up and clean up.. In about 55 min. Def increasing work capacity.

Good day.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/16 at 7:26am
1/30/15
3.5 mile hike and lots of walking around after

1/31/15
Legs were super sore and fatigued from the hike and walking.

SSB squats up to:
285lbs 4x3

Strict Press up to:
190lbs x 30TR

Was supposed to DL and some accessory work but hip/si felt fatigued/unstable from all walking so shut it down.

Throws hopefully over lunch then finish up the training session tonight
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/16 at 1:14pm
2/1/16

Light hammer x 12ish - worst of 103, best of 109. Not terribly dissappointed with this. Can feel my positions and def need to increase my hip orbit on my third wind. All in all, very happy hitting 109 this early.

jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/16 at 1:17pm
2/3/16
AM - fasted
5k row 23ish min
1min row 358m

Lunch:
Wide box squats up to
335lbs x 10

1 power clean, 1 hang clean, 1 push press
245lbs x 6 sets EMOM 5 presses on the last set

Staggered stance Good mornings
225lbs 4 x 5 per leg - first time doing these.. Liked them a lot

40push ups/40 Situps

Chins - 25 TR

DB Pendlay Rows
90lb per hand x 30 TR
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/05/16 at 1:09pm
2/5/16

MSA footwork

Rehab/conditioning work
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/16 at 1:45pm
2/8/16

Dynamics

30 yard sprints x 5 - MSA footwork in between sprints.

Power cleans:
Doubles up to 275lbs
325lbs x 1
255lbs 5x2 EMOM

Speed sumo deadlifts
315lbs 8x2 EHMOHM

45 degree hyper 2x20

4 rounds of
Supinated pull-up into nuetral pull-up into pronated pull-up. Changing hand positions on the bar without letting go was tougher than I thought

jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/16 at 8:19am
Well was hanging up a banner in the clinic Monday afternoon at about 15 feet and the step ladder decided I was too heavy for it and gave out. Fortunately my reaction was to bail and jump and somehow I landed on my feet and stuck it. Depth jump win for the year. Went to the Dr yesterday ( I was pretty sure I fractured my heel) but fortunately only tore my plantar fascia. In a boot for 2ish weeks(read: much less time than that) but he did say I could weight bear and train as tolerated.. Soooooo

2/9/16
5K row in 23+min - Dr that afternoon

2/10/16

5K row in <23 min

Power Snatches up to
100kg x 2 - easy peasy
120kg x 0,0,0 - More than enough height and explosiveness, just no balance for the catch(weird)
90kg 4x2

Incline press up to:
110kg x 5

Back ext 2x20
Reverse Hyper 2x20

Got really frustrated for a bit, cause it seems like I just can't escape the injury bug. And it's not like you can exactly prevent ladders from randomly giving out. But pulled my head out of it and am grateful that I can still train and that this won't keep me from any games. Just another rung in the ladder to climb.

jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/12/16 at 1:36pm
2/12/16

Sheaf pulls with 16lb x 15ish

Played with a lot different cues and last 5 throws got it feeling right and was going about 26-28 feet. I'll take that considering I still can't put much weight through my right foot.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/16 at 7:04am
2/16/16

AM fasted:
5k row - 21:56 - Happy with this

Mobility/Breathing x 10 min

Hopefully training tonight and throwing tomorrow. Heel has been feeling better but my back has been feeling like garbage. Everything feels pretty good this morning so hopefully we can keep that up
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/16 at 6:56am
2/16/16

PM

Power Clean Doubles up to
140kg x 2 - Smoked this
160kg x 0,0,0 < had plenty of height on all of these( up past my chest) Just couldn't get my hands under the bar, partially due to this was my second time cleaning heavy since surgery, part my hands just feel slow.

Hang Clean
130kg 5x2

Sumo speed deadlifts
315lbs 8x2 < these help my back a ton

Pullups 4x5 < 2 sets supinated, 2 sets pronated

Z Press with double KBs up to
28kg 2x10
48kg x0,0 Really almost had this. First set I locked the right arm out and not the left, second set I got both arms within about an inch of lockout. This will fall soon.

2/17/16
AM fasted 5k row
23+min

Hopefully some hammer over lunch.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/17/16 at 1:45pm
2/17/16

Light hammer x 15ish

Played with 2 winds and 3 winds. Best of 106. Def not where I need to be, but winds are feeling better and more consistent
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/16 at 1:18pm
2/19/16

LWFD x 20 ish

Took about 5 one turns - I think I found where I need to work. I feel horribly uncoordinated with these... Best of 54' haha

Took about 15 regular throws - Played with my entry on these.. Worked on landing more closed off on my first turn and not as closed off on my finish... Man this is gonna go somewhere.. Worst throw was 70' and my last 8 were all over 75 with the best being 79'2" which is my second best throw ever. Even then I never felt like I had a solid pull and finish so once I can get that ironed out this thing might go somewhere.. I was worried about my plantar fascia/heel but it actually felt better after throwing so that was encouraging.

Good day
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/16 at 8:50am
2/21/16

DB Incline press
90lbs 5x8

2 rounds of
Pendlay rows x 5 225lbs
Snatch grip DL x 5 225lbs
Strap rows x 25
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/16 at 1:09pm
2/22/16

Caber practice - x 10ish with my baby caber + some box drills. No prob controlling it, worked on timing and no pulling so late.

X2 with my bigger caber 17.5' and 120+lbs. Standing it up was a pain since I was by myself, but no probs with the pick or controlling it. I suck at the turn. Pulled way late on both. If anyone has any cues to help with the timing I would be very appreciative. I either pull way early and shoot it straight up or pull way late and can never seem to find the "sweet spot"

LWFD x 10ish - Not a lot of oomph today but worst was 71 and best was 75. Not terrible. First turn feels great, finish feels sloppy, finishing too much on my front left foot as opposed a solid base..
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/16 at 1:15pm
There is really no such thing as pulling too early if you're moving fast enough.  Ask Newton.   
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/16 at 1:17pm
Makes sense... guess I'm not moving fast enough.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/23/16 at 7:03am
2/23/16

AM - fasted
5k row - 21+

Depth jumps to broad jumps - these were still sore on my heel so only did 5.

Power clean + hang clean x 2

Up to 130kg x 2 sets

Front rack contra lateral lunges with 28kg KB
3x5 ea leg

Hopefully some throwing over lunch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic