Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Jon Hereth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Jon Hereth
    Posted: 6/16/14 at 1:53pm
My name is Jon Hereth and I live out near Kansas City. I started throwing in March and competed in my first games in May at Highlands in the 'Burg, just finished my second at the KC Scottish games this past weekend and have absolutely been bitten by the throwing bug. I've kept a training log at kcstrongman.yuku.com as I have been competing in strongman the past couple of years but am probably going to try to transition to the highlands games for the most part. It will probably be more of a throwing log for a couple of months because I feel like I need to practice the events right now way more than I need train. I'd welcome any suggestions, criticisms or feedback as I am wanting to learn as much as possible about this sport.

Thanks for reading!!
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/14 at 1:55pm
6/16/14
Still a little sore form the KC games on Saturday.

LWFD x 10ish

Most were in the low 60s with the best being just over 65. Been having really hard time blocking my left side and always seem to fall out of the left side of the trig. It was suggested that I try to start out lower so I tried that and that seemed to help me stick my block a little better.

Beautiful outside..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/14 at 1:17pm
6/17/14

Movement Prep/Mobility x 5min

WFD foot work x 5min

Box Jumps up to: 45" x 5 singles

Squats: 13"box, SSB, beltless up to:

385 x 5 x 6 sets

SlingShot hip walks x 50ft each way x 2

jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/14 at 1:26pm
6/18/14

Hammers - about 10ish of each

Been working on incorporating a 3rd turn into my throws. So far I have been throwing with 2 turns only.

Heavy- 3 turns didn't feel too terrible - most were around 77 with the best around 82
Light - This felt terrible - feel like I can't extend my arms or control the orbit when I add the third turn. Most were 94-95 with the best at 99.... disappointing.

Lots of work to do..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/14 at 9:06pm
6/20/14

LWFD x 8ish - Was planning to do more but I strained/slightly tore my pec about 3 weeks ago and LWFD really seems to irritate it so shut it down early - best was 63' - not very pleased

6/23/14

Open stone - a really ugly 17# rock x10ish - most were about 36ish with 3 right over 38 which ties the furthest that I have thrown with this stone- I have been working on a glide - which I suck at - but am starting to get a little more comfortable with it

Light Hammer - x 15ish - still not extending very well and keeping my arms in too tight best was 99' - Made my pec sore

6/24/14
Had the opportunity to throw with McKim today as we live in the same town. What an amazing thrower and really an even better guy. Gave me tons to work on and is probably the mot humble guy I have ever met.

Open stone x 15ish -Dan pointed out that I am not getting my hips involved at all and after some tweaking threw my rock right at 40 about 4x and just over 41 once, huge PR.

LWFD - Little wary of this because of my pec so only threw about 5 but hit 66+ so was pretty happy with that.. 70 is not that far off I think.

Light Hammer x 10ish- Dan helped me a lot here, especially to not over analyze - nothing like getting coached by the world's best- can't believe how fortunate I am.. best of 102+

Really amazing to watch Dan throw and to get coached up by him - hugely grateful

After that went to the gym -
Deadlifts - beltless, straps
up to:
425 x 5 x 6 sets
Barbell hip thrusts
425 x 10 x 3 sets
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/14 at 1:01pm
6/25/14

Feel like death today from throwing and deadlifting yesterday.

Light Hammer x 20ish.. Most were mid 90s with my best being 101.. not terrible for me but need to work on staying slower and longer. Would like to get to where I can hit 110 consistently in practice..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/14 at 1:23pm
6/28/14

Movement Prep/Mobility

Box Jumps
38" x 2
45" x 1,1,1,1,1

SSB Squats - 13" box, beltless
I use the box, mostly to gage depth, with an athletic stance 13" hits me well below parallel
up to:

335 x 2
385 x 2
425 x 5 x 4 sets

Old school glute ham raises 3 x 8
Slingshot hip circle x 90 ft each way x 2
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/14 at 1:13pm
6/30/14

Open Stone x 15ish
Took about 5 throws from the front working on 1,2 pivot best of 36
Took the rest with a glide and had 3 that were right a 41 which is a PR for me with my practice stone
HWFD x 10 - This felt blah most were 28-29, best was not quite 31
LWFD x 10 - Also felt blah.. most were 60, best was 63

Crazy hot and humid today but throwing is still my fav..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/01/14 at 1:14pm
7/1/14

Light Hammer x 20ish - Better day today - avg'd between 98-101 with a few over 104 and the best being 105+ - Starting to get more comfortable and hopefully this will translate to 110ish with a games hammer..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/02/14 at 1:52pm
4/2/14
Open Stone - x20ish 1-2 pivot x 5 best of 36' Took the rest with a glide, most between 38-40 with a couple at 41 and 3 right at 42 which is a PR.. Pretty happy with this..

Deadlifts - beltless, straps
up to:
405 x 3
475 x 5,5,5,5
Old school glute ham raises 3x10

Mile run: slow 10ish min

Ate some candied bacon ...which is like manna from heaven..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/03/14 at 9:57pm
7/3/14

Got to throw hammers and wob with Dan again today and I don't know if the hammers just fear his presence or what but I had the best hammer day ever.. (it probably was the coaching..just maybe... thanks Dan!)
Light hammer x 5ish - all over 105 and two at 112 -huge pr
Heavy hammer x 10ish -most were over 80 and the best was right at 90 .. also a huge pr..
Wob x 10ish -worked allot on technique here and started feeling much more consistent.. Awesome day!
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/03/14 at 11:12pm
Getting better and more comfortable every day, man.  Awesome work.  Love seeing your passion and work.  
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/05/14 at 11:34am
7/5/14
Went and trained with some strongman friend today, so just jacked around with some squats...

Regular bar, 13in box
Up to:
335 x5
425 x3
Added belt
515 x1
565 x1 < this moved really fast and left plenty in the tank.. pretty happy as the box hits me well below parallel... getting excited for the kc backyard games on the 12th..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/14 at 2:32pm
7/6/14

LWFD x 30ish...

This was the tale of 3 different throwing sessions.. first 10 were all about 58-62, second 10 were mostly 64-68 and last 10 were all 66+ with the best being 72 which is a PR ... apparently it takes me 20 throws to figure out what the heck I'm doing haha...
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/07/14 at 1:28pm
7/7/14

HWFD x 10ish - This sucked - I attribute this to taking 30 throws with LW yesterday.. grip felt awful, best of 27'

Light hammer x 10ish - good day here, most were 106-107 with the best 112 which is the furthest I've thrown with my homemade hammer..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/14 at 11:08pm
7/8/14

Tired and sore today but the throws must go on..

Lwfd x 10ish ...most were mid 60s with the best at 71...not terrible..on the last two throws Dan and I decided to have a competition in which he spotted me 14ft... I still lost haha..

Open stone x10ish..most were 39ish, best was 41+ also not terrible.. hopefully some prs will fall on Saturday.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/14 at 12:39pm
7/9/14

Sheaf x 15ish - This is still weird to me but felt much more consistent

Rest now until Sat..
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/14 at 1:13pm
Consistency counts.
The man in the arena.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/14 at 2:51pm
True... now I just hope it counts on Saturday haha
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/14 at 10:43pm
7/12/14

KC Backyard Games Write Up.

Was going into this day hoping to set a lot of PRs. The nice thing is this was going to be my third games so it shouldn't be that hard to PR. Beautiful, sunny day but hot.

Open Stone- Threw a kidney bean shaped 17# stone did not have a throw under 40 with the best at 43'8" - PR

Braemer - This was a massive 28# stone - best was 32'7.5" - technically not a PR but my current is 35 somthing with a 22lb stone so I''m pretty happy with that.

20# sheaf - This event has been a bit of a struggle for me, mainly cause I dont get to practice it much. Went in at 18' and ended up clearing 28' which crushed my old pr of 24'. Actually peaked early and hit the bar on the way down at 30' so it will be there soon

HWFD - This was up and down.. Think I went 30,33,scratch(the scratch was bad too, the weight totally threw me and I went crashing to the ground, hopefully nobody got video of this haha) but got extra throws since the 33 took first and on my first extra throw went 36'5.5" which was a huge PR for me. Very happy with this.

LWFD - Best throw was 68'9" which is a games PR. Still feel like I'm finishing without much block so it feels like there is a lot left in the tank - as a side note this had a ring handle which I'm totally not used to..

Caber - Same caber that I flipped at the KC games (barely) but could not get a flip on it today.. got the picks but was pulling way late - I haven't had a way to practice this but I need to make myself a caber so I can start practicing.

Light Hammer - best of 101' .5" - Technically a 2.5" PR but felt awful and I know I can do much better. Timing felt completely off and I am honestly disgusted with my performance here. Was feeling pretty fatigued by this point.

WOB - Cleared 12' and hit the bar at 13' but no dice - Not sure whats happening here other than clearly I was a tired, mental case. I cleared 14' and hit the bar 3x at 15' at my very first games in May, cleared 13 in June and now 12.. clearly I am going the wrong way haha.

Extra event - 100lb stone throw - 1 attempt. Pretty much every one tried this and I ended up winning with a throw of 11'6.5". Chad Ullom crushed it with a throw of over 13' but scratched out the front at the very last second.

All in all a hot, but great day!! Although the Light Hammer and WOB were especially dissappointing to me, I did end up with 5 PRs, 6 event 1sts, 1st in the 100lb stone throw and 1st place overall in the A class. It was a great group of guys to throw with as always and I really had a blast. Thank You to Melanie and Doug for putting on a great games. Thanks to Chuck Kasson who put on an exhibition and threw with the As and let me pester him with questions all afternoon and especially helped with my sheaf. And thanks to Dan McKim who has been gracious enought to let me keep throwing and learning from him and has helped me tremendously.

Great Day!
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/14 at 1:36pm
7/14/14

Movement Prep/Mobility
WFD and Stone footwork x 10ish each

OH press out of blocks
up to:
225 lbs x 5 strict press
275 lbs x 3 split pressish type thing < its what comes natural to me so I just roll with it haha
315 lbs x 2
Added belt
385lbs x 1
405lbs x 0
385 is a lifetime PR for me, but it went up so easily that I wanted to try 405 which is my year end goal. I missed it about 2 inches from lock out. I think I would have gotten it if I would jumped straight to it. 4+ will fall soon..

3 rounds of
Pendlay Rows 315lbsx 5
BW strap rows x 15

Band pull aparts/pressdowns/curls x 50 each
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/15/14 at 3:10pm
7/15/14

Sore today, especially my upper back and core..

Open stone -

1-2 pivot with no reverse x5ish - not a lot of pop but the positions are feeling more comfortable- best of 38

Full glide x 10ish- felt extremely slow but every single throw was between 39.5 and 40.5 so at least I was consistent and those aren't terrible practice throws for me.. Feeling more comfortable with my footwork and happy with the consistency.

Hammer winds x a lot
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/14 at 1:08pm
7/17/14

LWFD x 15ish - Slept about 4 hours last night so first 5 or so felt really slow and sloppy. Started to get in the groove after that and finish a little hard, avg'd about 66-67 with my best just over 70 ft. If I can ever learn to finish and block hard instead of falling out to my left I think that will help tons..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/14 at 1:26pm
7/18/14

Training has just been rather on the back burner this week, and I didn't really want to squat or deadlift so I decided to try for the 405 press I missed on monday..

Got it :) Huge PR

jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/14 at 1:27pm
not sure sure I embedded it right so here is the link

http://youtu.be/xBst1cFLE8I
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/14 at 2:03pm
More of a Jerk. 

However it's infinitely more than I can/will ever do so well done dude! Strong as sh*t. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/14 at 2:50pm
Haha, your right.. I just call it a press because I have never been formally trained to jerk I just do what comes natural.. and thanks!!
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/14 at 2:56pm
Press, jerk, whatever man. 4 bills over your head is so effing bad ass. I just had a Craig Smith moment and couldn't help but point out the difference. 

You should be throwing BIG stones with pop like that. Get that technique down! 

Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/14 at 2:58pm
Thanks! Trying to.. threw my first stone/implement in march.. have competed in 3 games and am progressively getting better so hopefully soon..
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/14 at 1:28pm
7/21/14

Mobility/Movement Prep

Cleans from floor up to:

315 2x2
365 x 0 - This was there just couldn't rack it - it will be done soon. Not terrible disappointed for being the first time cleaning in about 6 months

Pendlay Rows

315 3 x 5

Band Curls/Ext x 50 ea
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic