Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Most athletes in a flight that went ok

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most athletes in a flight that went ok
    Posted: 9/14/05 at 6:04am
run one games and we had 13 athletes put them in one flight and it ran pretty smoothly ,,then went to a games and there were 6 pro's 9 men amtr's and 5 women in one flight -2nd flight was 25 B's & c's .my flight was the pro's, amtrs,women,and man was it a long day
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/05 at 6:49am
At Glasgow Lands we had 23 athletes total, including 9 Ams, 3 lightweights, 7 masters, and 4 women.  That was a long day, even though we ditched HWFD and light hammer along the way.

Using the patented Dana Florence Accelerator helped a lot:  we ran each class through a given event bang-bang-bang, which kept people focussed on their throwing and moving quickly.  This also shortens up the time spent with warmups, because one class can be throwing while another warms up.

This really was too many people to be running through just one trig.  I'd like that games to be even bigger next year, but I'll have to split it into 2 trigs for at least some events.  We may stick with a mere 6 events, because that seemed to go well with the hot weather.

-Wayne
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/05 at 7:19am

Salado used to have one enormous class of 25+(always lots of novices) - always finished in the dark. We switched to 2 trigs(masters and open) and started using flags to mark best throws (no more measuring each toss).Put the novices with the masters for help/education .Train throwers to be ready to fetch/move along- push 'em a little-"Ok guys - let's start warming up for next event as soon as you finish". Another good time saver was limiting sheaf to 5 -7 total throws w/ 2 foot jumps.Jim Pauli uses 3 foot jumps at Ohio games. We had a big field in Salado , so we could do all the events straight through - no switching trigs for events.Goes much faster now.

McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/05 at 1:57pm

Cedar Rapids runs one flight; last year was 13 people -- Masters, A through Novice all at once: 2 stones, 2 WFD, Sheaf, Caber & WOB  No Hammer.  It ran well but any more people than that and it would have been to long. 

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/05 at 3:33pm
Dana Florence ran 17 athletes through one trig for 6 events at Rhode Island this year, and we finished early-ish.  Now, sheaf was NOT one of those events, so that had something to do with it, but five of the athletes were novices, and we had a qualification round in cabers.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, one of the best things Dana did was run each class through all attempts before moving on to the next class for most events.  This sped things up incredibly, and seemed to let the athletes focus better on their throwing.

-Wayne
The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/05 at 8:45pm
From personal experience and athlete feedback I have found that an ideal flight size is 10 to 12 athletes.  At Portland we ran 7 classes (Pro, A,B, C, Women, Masters, Novice) with 10 - 12 athletes each, using multiple trigs.  We have the benefit of a huge field.  Started at 9am and we were done by 5 pm including the Amatuer challenge caber.  The Pro challenge Caber is in front of the grandstands at 5:30pm.  Everything is mapped out in advance: which trig they are in, what event they are doing, what time, etc.  We put the implements out at each trig in the Morning.  It's a three-ring circus times 3!  Pretty cool to see up to four cabers turning at once.
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/05 at 4:40am

I agree, 10-12 is about the most you can comfortably run if you want to get in 8 events but that assumes that you are talking about experienced athletes with an experienced judge. Novice athletes always go a bit slower.

One thing that tends to drag things out is starting out WOB (or sheaf) at the height that the weakest athlete wants, particularly if your group has a wide range of abilities. When I am judging (or AD'ing) with a large group I start HIGH and I let the athletes know that the point of the competition is to sort out first and second place.

Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
AncientOne View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AncientOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/05 at 7:34am

Hey-

We generally shoot for 8 athletes per flight. It requires more equipment, but it keeps things more aggressive between throws. Large numbers of throwers causes so much down time that it tends to let guys ease off the pedal between throws.

We can throw down 5 trigs, plus 3 or 4 sheaf standards, or more if we get a large number of throwers. At MWC03 for example, we had 4 hammer cages, 5 sheaf standards and 6 trigs for 80some athletes.

-AncientOne

Winners are remarkably adept at figuring out what's required to win.
seckmrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seckmrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/05 at 12:22pm
In Mesa AZ we get around 70 - 90 athletes .. last year we ran 22 B's in 2 seperate flights..  the flights of 11 each ran great but when we had to put the scores together it was really tough...  I would say as was said before 10-12 is about the limit..  Mostly for time and effectivenss of the athletes to get the most out of the throws they have...  In my opinion..
jeffloosle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffloosle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/05 at 10:15am

Originally posted by The Queen The Queen wrote:

Pretty cool to see up to four cabers turning at once.

I have to admit that was a first for me to see 5 groups doing caber, and safely may I add, and yes, there were 4 cabers in differing processes of turning alot of times during the competition.

At one time I happened to look across the field, and all 5 cabers were standing. . .  either being picked, running or turning.

A treat to see!!!

Coach Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/05 at 7:48pm
NCAA guidelines ....they limit it to 12-athletes...it's all
about SAFETY and the number of trigs /judges ect.

THe short throws (stones-wt throws) go faster than
the hammers ...have EXTRA hammers all ready
repaired....if there are HUGE field you have to take
bigger jumps in the wt-4-ht and sheaf ect.

Good discussion and YES ...4 cabers are cool but
you have to have the ROOM !!!
Have a GREAT Day !
Rob " Coach Mac " Mac Kay
jimhoerricks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimhoerricks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/06 at 4:03am
Originally posted by seckmrl seckmrl wrote:

...but when we had to put the scores together it was really tough...

Using a computerized scoring program makes this a piece of cake. You can get Mike North's program or build your own in Access. You can bring your laptop out to the field and have your scorekeeper enter the scores as they come in. The computer puts everyone's scores in order.
http://forensicphotoshop.blogspot.com

"He that will not apply new remedies must expect new evils, for time is the greatest innovator" - Francis Bacon, First Baron of Verulam, Viscount of St. Albans
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/06 at 4:00pm
Do you know how I could get hold of a copy of Mike North's program?

-Wayne
BigdogEMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigdogEMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/06 at 4:53pm

Wayne, Try Lori Henderson. Im not sure what program she uses but she has everthing down slick, when it comes to scoring.

Terry Lawson

“The hard stuff we do right away, the impossible stuff takes a little longer!”
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/06 at 2:48am
I saw that at MWC.  It was impressive, because it ran so smoothly that it would change the flow of the games if you have limited staff.  I'll ask here about it.

-Wayne
Lori Henderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Henderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/05/06 at 12:22pm

Thanks Terry, it took me a couple of years to get good at it.  Yes, it is Mike's program.  He is a wonderful person and hope to someday get to Las Vegas to spend more time with him and Diane.  Wayne, I PM'd you about the program.  Part of why it is so fast is that I got a new laptop last year and it makes the printer work like it should.  When I first started using it in 2002 I was using an old IBM, very slow and ask the guys at KC that year who had to stand around and wait for ever for their certificates.  It does help when your processor has made it into the next century!  Mike did a bunch of upgrades too just before MWC in NH last year that has made it more user friendly.

Lori

littleone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/06/06 at 4:31pm

We had 62 athletes here in 05' and I run 12 to a class is the limit but I refuse to go over 14 and the only class that has that "over 12" is the light weight guys. With the Ladies, I believe that I had a judge for the A/B's and then one C/Novice. Total classes run were 11. We are a two day games, and I run A's, Ladies and 190's on Sat and B', C's, both Master's 40 to 49 and 50+, and Men's Novice. Total on judges I believe were 4 each day. Since so of the flights are smaller, they run together. Master's classes run together.

Lori is the best!

Cherie

"Lead, Follow or get the Hell outta my way!"
Brent Abbott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent Abbott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/06 at 5:54pm
I was one of the judges for the B's split heats and you have to make sure you use the same exact heights on WOB,(same starting, skipped.....higher is ok) You should also use the same caber judges, back and side, and of course the same caber - tricky if its prone to break. We used (forced) the same side judge but Al and I back judged our own groups - try to avoid this. Then again just avoid splitting classes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic