Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: R Huddleston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/15 at 11:02am
Competed in the Kansas City Games yesterday against another really good field of throwers. Big thanks to Doug McDonald for putting on great Games. This is really a great game to check out in the middle of the country. 9 guys in total, with several being first time A's, and a couple top tier guys mixed in.

B stone- 30.0. Had a tough time getting this tucked, but finally got a decent push on it.
HWD- 27.4. Grip was a big issue with it raining during this event so I put tacky on. Considering I had 2 throws where the glove ripped off and flew with the weight, probably too much tacky.
LWD- 54.11. This felt wonky all week....
LH- 89.4. Still not used to having 2 boots on, couldn't get comfortable and absolutely no finish.
Caber- No turn, but only 2 guys turned to qualifier (Scott Hutchison and Jon Hereth) so not too upset. This is getting closer.
Wob- 12, a couple decent pulls at 13
Sheaf (20lb)- 24 for a 1 foot PR, and I think 26 will fall soon. Very happy with this.

Overall 7 out of 9, but really couldn't be happier with how I threw. I threw right at my seasons best with a torn hamstring. Felt like I finished all my throws better except the WOB. And with the fact that I had no idea how my hamstring would hold up, I feel like I threw really well. Now its time to trust the hammy and start adding speed to the better finish. Once I get this together I'm looking for a lot of improvement. Thanks to Jon Hereth for all the rehab work at your office Friday night and for letting us crash at your place. Had an awesome time. Now time to get ready for Joplin next week.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/15 at 9:56am
Gym

Floss/stretch/warmup

Worked speed squats
145 x3
235 x3
325 x3 x3 x3

Single Leg Curls
2x10

Light hammer x 8
just working on trying to catch and pull faster, then pushing through the release. Felt faster but missing the release. Like where this is going once I get the timing down.

Just keeping it easy this week then the plan is to get after the next 2 months until my next round of games in Sept/Oct.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/15 at 9:59am
Got some cardio in at the "Box" last night.

Floss/Stretch/Warmup

Did some light benching and crucifix hold. Just working on moving the bar fast.

Got some throws in:

HWD- x 10
2 single turns
3 warm-up 2 turns
3 "comp" throws
2 more to work on technique

Felt ok, pretty muddy and slick, so all things considered I'm not going to sweat it.

Started LWD, and slipped hard. Hung it up and called it.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/15 at 9:11am
Been awhile since my last update. Competed in Joplin and had a great time, another great game by the HASA crew. Threw around season bests, but nothing to write home about. Finally turned a caber, but left a bunch of the table in sheaf. Will get this figured out.

Got a couple months until the next comp, so going threw a mini offseason right now. Took last week pretty easy, lots of cardio with a little lifting mixed in just to see where I'm at.

This week starts a strength phase for this month, leading into an explosive phase next month before the comps start again in Sept.

Got a bunch of stretching in this morning and spent a lot of time working thru the game plan preparing for Sept.

Squats
5x5 at 310. Moved fast, felt great, but only had time to get these in due to all the stretching/planning.

Time to do work.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/15 at 10:40am
Got some throws in this morning

Stands with light stone
x 8, all around 36-38
Felt really good. Was really focusing on a better block with the left arm.

Tried some glides, but legs were still pretty slow from squats yesterday.

Lwd x 8
All around 53-55. Was focusing on exploding across the box and actually having a sprint step. Felt pretty good, just need to add a bigger push/pull and I think I can get that added distance. Really need to get this distance up.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/15 at 4:33pm
Getting behind on my log again. Getting in 3 training days in the gym, 3-4 throwing days (weather permitting), with 2-3 cardio sessions throw in during the week.

Pressing day 7/1

Deads/pulls 7/2

Throws 7/4. Had a good stone day, best I've had in a long time. Really happy with this. Also got some weights in, made some improvements, but still have a long way to go. Really trying to work on the sprint phase across the box.

Squats 7/6
5 x 3 @ 365. Felt solid.
Row 1000m, then 3 sets of 3 box jumps and 3 wall balls with 40 pound ball.

Worked on pressing 7/7
Bench
Seated military DB press
Tri work

7/7 evening went to Crossfit and worked more shoulder/tri stuff. Also rowed around 2000 meters and got some box jumps in.

Pretty happy with the last 2 weeks, just wishing the weather would cooperate more so I could throw.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/15 at 10:31am
Was supposed to throw today, but its raining...again. So went to the gym.

Warm-up/stretch

Deadlifts
Worked up to 5x3 at 365. Moved pretty fast, felt good.

Worked a few sets of hang cleans
4x3

Then had to roll out. Hoping to get a lot of throws in this weekend.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/15 at 10:45am
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/15 at 11:15am
No kidding buddy. I need to invest in better waders if I want to get any throwing in.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/13/15 at 10:55am
Got back in the gym today.

Stretch/Warmup/Mobility

Squat
145 x 3
235 x 3
325 x 3
375 x 3
415 3 x 3

Leg curl
3 x 8

Hang Snatch
3 x 2

1 leg step up
3 x 5

Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/15 at 10:20am
Got some throws in this morning

HWD
3 1 turns
3 2 turns (warm-up)
6 full 2 turns.
-Something isn't clicking. I think I'm not pushing the weight around enough going into the sprint step and its making the weight really pull me off balance when I go to release. Distance was about average this season.

Heavy Hammer
5 throws.
-This was more for a warm-up for light hammer. Could tell I'm not countering enough though because I was getting pulled off balance when I started trying to crank on this. Average distances for the season.

Light hammer
5 throws.
-First throw was nice and easy. Hit 99+. This is right at my season best so far. Really excited about this, so got after other throws. All were 98-99, but the first one was the farthest. Pretty sure this means I need to relax more. When I try to throw it hard I think I'm shortening my arms.

Overall not bad, but always more things to work on.

Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:49pm
My dad came into town for my sisters wedding and I finally got some time for him to coach me up (He is a college track coach). We only had time for stones, but he gave me some great pointers. Got a few throws in, but mostly just getting coached up.

Went out for some throws today to work on my new stuff.

B stone- Warm-ups x 5
Full throws x 6
31.9, which would be about a 1.5 season best, and a couple inch PR. Pretty happy, but still a lot more here.

Open- He really advocated for the MSA over the glide, so thats what I played with.
Did footwork drills for 3 reps in between B stone getting ready for this.
Full throws x 5
First one was 42.5, for a 4 ft season best and 2.5 ft PR. Really happy with this. The rest were all over 40, but I was all excited and rushing too fast. Excited to see how this turns out.

HWD- Warm-ups x 3
Full x 6. Upper 20's, which is average this season. I'm really not getting my left foot down fast enough so I don't have anything to brace with.

Heavy Hammer- x 4. It was hot and I was feeling it.

Light Hammer- x 3. Upper 90's, got 3 in then the handle broke. Was just getting started, but felt ok.

WOB x 3. Was worn out at this point and probably shouldn't have even messed with this, but then thought I need to work it when I'm tired since its usually at the end. 2 weren't great, the last one was 12-12.5.

Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/15 at 9:52am
Went to Crossfit last night because they were squatting. I liked the squat part, really didn't do hot on the actual workout part. Could be because I only ate a breakfast burrito that day, and threw for 2 hours in the 100 deg heat and gave myself an hour to recover.

Squat
Worked up to 425 for 5. Wanted a little more, but considering I was a little beat up I'll take it.

WOD

4 sets of

3 rounds
5 kettle bell squats (53lb bell)
10 med ball slams (40lb ball)
5 knee to elbows
5 pullups

1 min rest between each set

My head was swimming at the beginning of the workout, then called it after 6 rounds when everything went pink and purple. Went home and started eating/rehydrating.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 11:38am
To finish up last week. Got in a push day in the gym, as well as a deadlift day. Was pretty happy with the deadlift, pulled 550 to my knees, which would be a 25lb PR. This will fall soon. Also
tried to throw a couple more times last week, but my body was kind of shot. My training schedule is really catching up with me, so I shut it down from Friday to Sunday and just recovered.

Yesterday felt great so went to get some throws in.

B stone
2 from the front
2 with no reverse
5 full throws. Nothing huge here, but better than I've been averaging in games. Can feel more of a push, just still adjusting to the tech change

O stone
x 8. All were between 39-41. Can feel a lot bigger push with this vs the glide, but still a really new tech. Need lots of throws with this.

HWD
2 1-turns
8 2-turns. Most were between 27-29. Kinda lost my mojo on this. Have really been focusing of getting my feet around faster for the turns. The turns felt better, but absolutely no sprint phase. Really need to work on this part. Sooooo slow.

L Hammer
x6. Wasn't going to throw this because it was so hot, but I was out there so I went ahead. First couple throws were warm-ups/timing work. Each throw kept getting farther so I kept going. Finally felt like my hips were countering so I started putting some speed on it. Hit a 99+, so figured I would throw 1 more. BOOM!!! 100+. I finally broke 100. I've really been working at this for a long time. Really excited to finally break this. Now just need to do it in a comp.

Bear Siragusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:04pm
Nice. PR's falling all over the place!
I wanted to be a neo-deconstructivist but mom wouldn't let me.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:20pm
Thanks buddy, I appreciate it. Just glad the work is paying off.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 1:06pm
WOOHOOOO
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/15 at 9:40am
Took Tuesday off to recover. Woke up today and still kinda beat up, but need to throw.

B stone
4 front
6 full
Still trying to feel/get the legs more involved. Starting to feel more leg drive, but still fighting muscle memory. Not bad, but not great.

Open
x 6. Crap show. Shut it down because I don't want to drill bad stuff.

Heavy Hammer
Most were low 70's, but had 2 at 75+. Considering how the core was feeling, pretty happy with this.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/15 at 9:43am
Threw yesterday morning

B stone
4 front
2 partial turn
8 full throws
Not great, but slowly getting better. Best around 32.

Sheaf
Took about 12 pulls with this. Didn't really get into it, was more trying to break my new bag in. Throwing at a light pole around 24ft. Hit it with the bag still going up 4 times, finally got the spacing figured out and smoked one the last throw. My big problem with sheaf this year has been accuracy. If I can get my spacing nailed down should be able to put a few feet on my score.

Crossfit Metcon last night
2000 meter row
1600 meter run
100 burpees
Broken up however you want.

The wife did not tell me what the workout was until we pulled up to the gym. Thankfully one of the regular guys wanted to split the work, so I gracefully accepted. I ended up running 600 meters, 30 burpees, and 1700 meter row.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 9:30am
Throws Sunday:
Braemar x 12
2 front
3 quarter turn
7 full
Working on throwing higher and getting more leg involved. About average distances

Lwd x 15
2 1-turn
the rest were all 2 turns. Slowly amped up intensity through the series. Trying to focus on moving feet faster, getting them down faster, and feeling where I am catching the weight. Then started working on how hard I was push/pulling the weight. The movement felt better, distances were average.

Heavy Hammer x 3
Used these more as a warm up for light, but felt ok. Hit 75+ Was happy with this since I just started throwing and didn't really warm up for this.

Light Hammer x 1
Broke the handle. Nice... Called it a day

Gym this morning. Moving into an speed/explosive phase
Squat
6x3 at 265

Leg Curls
3x10

MSA footwork drill
6x3
then added a jump at the end to really focus on adding a leg push.

Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/15 at 1:19pm
Gym last night

OHP
5x3 at 50%

Bench
5x3 at 50%

10 min EMOM
5 DB snatch each arm. 60lb DB the first 2 sets, then switched to 100lb DB with the right arm to hopefully help with WOB. Kept the 60lb on the left arm
4 pullups

5min AMRAP
50m farmers carry
20 lunges

2min rest

5min AMRAP
100 jump ropes
15 KBS with 53lb bell

2min rest

5min AMRAP
100m sprint
15 burpees

I was done after this.

Worked some HWD this morning as I seem to have lost my mojo with this
2- 1 turns
12- 2 turns

Worked on a couple different things, but still haven't figured out what I'm not doing anymore. Looks like I'm off balance, have no sprint step, and am not getting my left foot down fast enough. So there's that....

Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 5:38pm
Got some throws in last night with Boss man Irvin. This guy takes a ton of time to help me out, can't thank him enough.

Worked LWD and LH

Threw a couple LWD and he started picking me apart, all drills after that. Worked the drop drill coming out of the first turn, then some sprint stuff, then some finish stuff. This stuff was gold. Can't wait to work more on it.

On the LH he had me throw the 14lb to work on speed. Majority of the time here spent on the finish. Trying to finish over my left shoulder instead of under it. Also, need more weight on my right left to allow a more open finish. Again, money time tips and really excited to work on it some more.

Gym today

Deads
5x3 at 50% Moved fast, felt good

Leg curls
3x8

Chest supported rows
3x5

Threw in some DB curls...why not.

Then in between all these sets I did footwork drills for the MSA and weights. Working quick feet, landed as close to the same time as possible, being balanced, keeping my knees bent, actually blocking with the left leg, and getting up instead of continuing the lateral movement.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/09/15 at 9:39pm
Sat morning went to the Metcon with the wife.

Partner workout
Alternating 50 box jumps
Simultaneous 25 burpees
Alternating 50 KBS
Alternating 50 med ball pass sit ups
Alternating 50 squat cleans

The partner thing sucked. Normally with these types of workouts I tweak them to make them more sport specific for me. For example knock down the box jumps to 15, and try to get really explosive with them and recover in between. But the partner thing killed that. But the wife was happy, so....

This morning went out to get some throws in. Was really excited to work on the ques I picked up the other night.

B stone x 12???
2 fronts
4 quarter turns
6ish full.
Best 31+, but most over 30.

Open x 8???
2-3 just hitting positions
2-3 full speed
2-3 working tech
Best 41+, 3-4 others over 40

HWD x 6???
2 1 turns from the front
2 1 turns from the back
2 or so 2 turns.
Best 27+. This is right at my season best. Felt decent, but my thumb was about to fall off, so I switched to the light

LWD x 10???
2 1 turns from the front
2 1 turns from the back
6ish full throws
Best 58+. That right around my PR, and 3 feet over season best. Finally felt something good here.

Sheaf x 6-8
Throwing at a 24ish ft light pole. Working a lot more on accuracy than height. Its about half the length of a crossbar, so if I can be accurate here, should carry over. Hit it 3 times, cleared clean once.

Overall, this was the best practice day all season. Really excited about what the new ques did in 1 practice, now just need to watch the videos and keep throwing. I also started building the WOB standard from a while back in the training section, so will start actually practicing that with an actual target soon.

Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/15 at 9:57am
Been a couple days since my last update.

Monday-off
Tuesday- Met-con with the wife. Did a modified version of Karen. 150 wall balls w/ 5 sit ups every time you stopped. This took care of squats for the week.
Wednesday-off
Thursday- gym in the morning.
Crucifix hold 3x8
Speed bench 5x2
Dips 8x5
OHP 5x3

Thursday night Met-con
1000 m row- 3:53

12 min AMRAP
6 burpees
12 Slam Balls (40lb ball)

Friday-throws
Stands with the light stone x 5 all around 37
MSA x 5 all 39+ Slow, just working positions.

HWD x 4 all 27+
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/15 at 9:21pm
Went on vacation with the wife all last week. Got some DB work in one day with some rowing. Kayaked 1 day. Another day got on a rower with the wife. We did 8 500 meter row keeping all under 2:30 minutes, with a 1 minute rest in between. Averaged just over 2 minutes for all the rounds.

Back in town and got some gym time in. Wanting to peak in about 5 weeks, so going to get heavier this week then move into Vincent ' s peak training.
Squat:
3 @ 265
3 @ 315
3 @ 365
2 @ 405
2 @ 435
3 of 1 @ 465

2 sets of 30 situs
2 sets of 15 deads at 255

4 sets of 9 wall balls
4 sets of 6 target burpees.

Throws tomorrow.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/15 at 11:23am
Tried to get some throws in this morning. Probably not the best idea as the legs were shot from last night

Stone
Stand no reverse x 5
Stand w/ reverse x 5
MSA x 5
Stands were ok, MSA was crap

LWD
2 single turns
5 2 turns
Working on some stuff from a couple weeks ago, but like I said the legs were shot. Still not bad, but went back to throwing 5 feet off the ground.

I build a WOB stand and was excited to try it out. Need to drill this sooooo much more.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/15 at 4:34pm
Missed most of last week due to an ear infection. I know I sound like a wimp, but that was awful.

Back at it this week.
Throws Monday morning
B stone
5 stand w/ no reverse
3 "comp" throw. All 31+
5 full throws working on tech. Need more leg...and cowbell

Open stone
3 warmups
3 comp 39, 41, 43

LWD
2 1 turn
2 2 turn
3 comp throws 57, 57, 54

Heavy Hammer
x 5. Had 2 at 75+. No boots and running out of time.

Lift last night
OHP
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 2
225 x 1. Strict Press PR
Then moved to push press
245 x 2 x 2
265 x 1
275 x 1-miss

Bench
225 x 5 x 5
245 x 3
275 x 1 x 1
295 x 1
225 x 3
185 x 2 x 2 x 2

Then finished with some med ball throws.

Throwing this morning
Sheaf x 10
WOB x 10
Just working technique on both of these. Need to get accuracy down with sheaf, and wob is just aweful. Good news is I figured some things out with both.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 9:20am
Gym last night. Worked Deads. Last heavy workout till after the season.

Deads
155 x 5
245 x 5
335 x 3
425 x 2
475 x 1
495 x 1

4 Rounds
Seated box jump to 20in box x 3
Reg box jump to 24in box x 3

Then did about 20 MSA footwork drills.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/15 at 4:42pm
Got some throws in last night with the Irvin Crew

B stone x 5. Best of 31

Open x 5. Best of 38

LWD x 5. Best of 59. Lifetime PR.

WOB x 5. Hit the bar at 13 a few times.

I have got to figure out my Braemar. Happy with the Open. I practice with a slightly light stone, and was really anxious to see what the new technique would do with a legit stone. Was really slow and legs were still kinda shot, and still hit 38. LWD finally seems to be coming around. Always stoked for a PR. WOB feels like I finally found a technique that allows me to get a big fast pull. Nothing great here, but feeling a lot better. Now just need to do all this in a Comp.
Hudd10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudd10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/15 at 9:17am
Going up to Buffalo this weekend, so pulled back some getting ready for the next round of comps.

Tuesday

Squat
145 x 8
235 x 5
325 3 sets of 5

Then a bunch of stretching

Tried to throw last night, but legs were shot and I wasn't really feeling it, so I called it early.

This morning
Bench
135 x 5
185 x 5
225 3 sets of 5

Lat Pulldown
3 x 5

Lots of stretching. Now going to rest up until Buffalo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic