Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Possible Guinness record?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Guinness record?
    Posted: 8/17/14 at 5:23pm
Now let me get this said before you say anything. I have been listening to fork-talk about the caber toss world record, and it got me thinking: why not a hammer toss world record attempt? Here's what I think, we find a large venue(perhaps a fairground, or I might try to talk some farmer into letting us use his fields), rent a bunch of construction fencing to make a long chain of hammer cages, and we get 30 athletes with 30 #16 Scottish hammers to throw them all simultaneously. Thoughts?
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 5:46pm
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 5:54pm
No seriously, why not? True there are more hammers thrown in the single Highland games, but not simultaneously. If there's a safe way of doing it, what's wrong with that?
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 8:07pm
Please tell me this a joke...
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 8:30pm
And what exactly is wrong with it?
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 9:10pm
Everything. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

...we find a large venue..., rent a bunch of construction fencing to make a long chain of hammer cages, and we get 30 athletes with 30 #16 Scottish hammers to throw them all simultaneously.
  How could that go wrong?  Confused  Finding an area 300 feet by 150 feet, the cost of renting 600+ feet of fencing, or borrowing 300 16# hammers?  Sounds like a walk in the park to me!  Wacko
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 9:23pm
Oh, yeah, and $5.00 and a Guinness record gets you a cup of half-caf-decaf at Starbucks!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/14 at 11:40pm
I am actually shocked more people don't find this an interesting idea. It is no harder or more expensive than any of those caber attempts, and it is a whole lot safer.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/14 at 1:56am
Let it go Josh.  More people don't find it interesting because most people didn't find the caber event interesting either... At least that's my understanding.
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/14 at 7:10am
Robin
I will start by asking that you don't try to argue in favour of the mass hammer toss ( a bad idea for reasons I will get to below) by having a go at the mass caber toss (which I am organising).

You could not be more wrong when you say that "most people don't find the caber event interesting either". 

So far the preparations for The Tomatin Toss - the attempt at the Guinness Simultaneous Caber Toss World Record which will take place at the end of the 2014 Masters World Championships here in Scotland on 14th September - have been filmed by our National Tourism Agency VisitScotland to be used to promote the Year of Homecoming; have been filmed by BBC TV, STV and BBC Alba; and have been the subject of interest in numerous newspapers here in the UK.  

The Tomatin Toss is doing exactly what it was designed to do - draw media attention and interest to MWC2014 - the Masters World Championships. Why The Tomatin Toss is of more interest to the media than MWC2014 is a matter for the media and another day.

With regard to the proposed Hammer event - there are a number of reasons why it is a bad idea. 

The first is cost - buying or borrowing and constructing and taking down and returning or storing 30 cages is not going to be cheap. Nor is buying 30 hammers. 

The second is health and safety - I shudder to think how much room you are going to need. A inner circle of hammer throwers surrounded by spectators standing behind them is going to take up a lot of room. The Tomatin Toss is using an 800m circle. I will leave you to work out what you will need.

Finally - with all due respect to the hammer - and those that love it - it is hardly the most interesting thing in the world to film happening simultaneously now is it. 

Unless of course you fancy using flaming hammers. 

I can see that working in the dark.  

Gerry

A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Andrew Akins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Akins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 1:03pm
I thought thread was about drinking a lot of Guinness...
Oh well.
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 1:20pm
Didn't somebody do a burning T+F hammer throw?

I want to say it was Bert Sorin.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 2:12pm
Lucais has done it.  Bert has done it. 

Amongst others.  I think it's a rite of passage for hammer throwers or something, lol. 

On a related note, I wonder why the Sorinex youtube channel doesn't exist anymore....
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

On a related note, I wonder why the Sorinex youtube channel doesn't exist anymore....

Right?

I watched every one of those HG videos pretty regularly. It sucks. 
Jeff Kaste

The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 2:36pm
Lucais MacKay and Bert Sorin did it first!

Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 5:04pm
I know Doug Ballard had the flaming turkey hammer throw he tossed on Thanksgiving one year.  That should be a world record as it has not been broken regardless of age group.  It was without dressing for those interested in the record.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
BKetch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKetch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 5:29pm
Well said, Myles. Well said.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

BJ Ketchem
Khruel View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khruel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 10:47pm
Is there a minimum size requirement on the cabers for a world record?   I could grap a handful of toothpicks and break the record right now.
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 6:47pm
I really think the multiple caber turned record and this suggestion of multiple hammer record is the dumbest thing in the sport today. Why not see what would be the biggest caber ever turned or the furthest thrown hammer ever are? Isn't that what the highland games is about? All this other crap takes away from the purity of the best ever.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Sean Betz Sean Betz wrote:

I really think the multiple caber turned record and this suggestion of multiple hammer record is the dumbest thing in the sport today. Why not see what would be the biggest caber ever turned or the furthest thrown hammer ever are? Isn't that what the highland games is about? All this other crap takes away from the purity of the best ever.

Clap
Jeff Kaste

Tim P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 8:29pm
Josh,

Ditto Gerry's response; Cost and Safety... and probably not that interesting to most throwers (but not necessarily spectators.)
But I do think it would look pretty cool to have 30 flaming hammers at night all at once, if one were inclined to herd cats.

Sorry for my dearth of snark and sarcasm...waitaminute....Shocked

"What's the matter boy? you got ants in your pants?
No Ma'am...hot steel balls!"
Jerry Clower
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 9:56pm
I can see why the cabers would be fun to watch for a spectator, but as an athlete, all I see is a bunch of bafoons throwing 14 foot 65 pound sticks. Not impressive at all to me. As for hammers, from what I can tell hammer is the event the spectators enjoy the least. I personally would not support this idea, or really any like it, in the least.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Slfarr Slfarr wrote:

...from what I can tell hammer is the event the spectators enjoy the least.
l'd have to give that honor to the Stones and HWD!  The crowd gets into the Hammers!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/14 at 6:51am
As a self proclaimed Highland Games "athlete" you clearly have a lot to learn about the traditions of our sport and the respect that you should be showing to your fellow Highland Games competitors. 

To call some of the fantastic competitors coming to Inverness "bafoons" (sic) - I think you meant "buffoons" - does you (or your education) no credit. 

You also need to spend some time talking to an AD about the kind of things that you need to do when you are marketing a festival and facing the task of acquiring sponsorship and TV Time in a competitive market.

I am pleased that you have achieved nothing with your post other than a) highlighting that you cannot spell and b) don't know enough about Highland Games yet to understand that the hammer is not the least interesting event on the schedule.

+1 Buffoon Point.

Gerry

A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/14 at 7:03am
Sean - The Tomatin Toss is a fun event which is taking place when MWC2014 is over;  and as such I hope that you will realise that this fun event is not taking anything away from our "sport". 

Fortunately - something that we have added to our event for a bit of fun - just happens to be giving us some much needed publicity; generating additional sponsorship, additional newspaper and TV coverage and, perhaps most importantly of all, the chance to send a bunch of our Masters home as official world record holders. For many of them it will be their first trip to Scotland and for some it will sadly be their last trip to Scotland. I refuse to apologise for trying to send them home with a smile on their faces.

To summarise we think that this is a nice thing to do and I guess we will just have to disagree with anyone who thinks that we bringing all 16 groups of throwers together to do something following our Closing Ceremony is a bad thing. 

Challenge Caber or Hammer
I don't see the point of placing a Challenge Caber in front of our MWC2014 competitors - that would instantly exclude around 150 of them. Anyway we are offering the men and women a shot at something unique to our city - a chance to lift the Stonemason's Stone and the Inverness Ladies Stone. These two events are really popular over here and are unique to at the Inverness Highland Games.

Personally I think that any Ultimate Giant Challenge Caber Event should really only happen at Webster's Worlds Championships.

As for the furthest hammer throw of all time - well we have the Websters World Championships this weekend - so hopefully the Heavies down in Dunfermline can look after that for you. 

I would love to see one or more of the Masters World Hammer records broken over the weekend of 12-14 September in Inverness. 

I guess for the 40-82 year olds on our field - that would sort of tick your furthest throw box.

Gerry

Edited by greynolds177 - 8/21/14 at 8:08am
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/14 at 9:19am
In total agreement with Sean.  It dumbs down the sport, makes it look like anyone can turn a caber, every one of these masters does it.  The reality is, if we put a solid A caber out there, not many do it.  Forget a super A or a pro stick.  It is not a real caber turn, it is a joke caber, toy caber, everyone gets a ribbon caber, nobody ever looses caber.  I found my F and wish to give it here.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/14 at 9:25am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Totally my response to the 'purity of the sport' comment. LMFAO.
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 12:15am
First off, let me say, my bad spelling buffoon "bafoon". Congratulations on taking away from the real issue at hand to point out one misspelled word. You really contributed to the thread there. Also, I love hammers. Its one of my favorite events. I'm saying that most spectators I have talked to have said they don't enjoy hammers as much as the rest of the events. Especially sheaf and caber. Now I realize this is a poor representation of spectators as a whole, but that is not to say that its wrong. Of course there are people that would disagree with me and find someone who loves watching hammer, but from what I can tell, hammers are not the event people come out to see. As for finding sponsor money to run the games, do what you  gotta do, but don't expect it to impress everybody. Like I said, its probably really cool for spectators to watch, and if it brings in lots of money, go ahead. But Don't expect support from every athlete out there, because many of them are unimpressed. 
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 12:21am
I should clarify, I very much appreciate what ADs do to make these games happen. I realize that it is a very tough and mostly thankless job that they do out of the goodness of their hearts. I also however think there are better ways to raise money. Just wanted to make that clear. I <3 ADs. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic