FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Possible Guinness record?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 5:34am
You would love it we did start ignoring the issue at hand - that you insulted our MWC2014 competitors - and thought that it was acceptable for you to do so. 

Tough. Not going to happen

As for announcing that you think that there are "better ways to make money" - and sitting back thinking you have made a point.......well, I look forward to seeing your detailed post identifying ways for the AD's of the world to reap the rewards of your knowledge . 

A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 6:34am
Well I know one MWC 2014 athlete who is not doing this lame idea for a record
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
berby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 7:13am
We should get 100 throwers together and hit a buffet and all go destroy a bathroom at the same time for a record.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 10:10pm
Just because something draws publicity and makes money in the short run does not mean its appropriate.    

I put forth that the Guinness WR for caber toss erodes a tradition of our sport: The tradition is that the caber toss is hard NOT easy. 

Why do we tell all competitors to never shag the caber by themselves?  most every thrower, male or female worth a pinch, can shag back a pro caber let alone their divisions caber by themselves.  It is about showmanship and not demystifying the event.  It also goes towards educating the audience that turning the caber is not easy nor should it be easy with out getting into a physics lesson.  

Why do we pick cabers so only a few can turn them?  Its is not suppose to be easy.  If everyone turns them, there is no drama and it looks easy.  If no one turns them, we lose the crowd.   

Why do we often exaggerate a cabers dimensions?  It again goes towards building and maintaining the mystic around them.  To make cabers sound harder to the layman so they do not dismiss the difficulty of the event.    

So having a bunch of cabers being turned at once communicates what to the general public? 

Frankly, it probably does not communicate much of anything but I know one thing it probably does not communicate: caber turning is difficult, which is the opposite message that most if not all AD tries to send to those who pay the bills - the audience.

So I can easily understand why people think it is a bad idea and I am one of them.   
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by greynolds177 greynolds177 wrote:

The Tomatin Toss is a fun event which is taking place when MWC2014 is over;  and as such I hope that you will realise that this fun event is not taking anything away from our "sport".  

Originally posted by greynolds177 greynolds177 wrote:

Fortunately - something that we have added to our event for a bit of fun - just happens to be giving us some much needed publicity; generating additional sponsorship, additional newspaper and TV coverage ... 

If it has no impact on this sport because it occurs after the your event is over then why is your festival getting much needed publicity, generating additional sponsorship, and press coverage?   

That seems to be somewhat contradictory. 

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 1:18am
The Mass Caber Toss is not obligatory and any MWC2014 competitor who doesn't want to take part and wishes to sit it out is free to do so. 

At the end of the day sitting it out will achieve absolutely nothing but that really isn't my problem. 

I will not be losing any sleep over it in the days ahead. 

Thanks to the Mass Caber Toss we can give each athlete 3 T shirts free of charge and bring a smile to some folks' faces. 

Job done. 

Not even a hint of a contradiction as far as I am concerned; and we have a brand new supply of training cabers to distribute to schools and novice heavies around the Highlands.

Edited by greynolds177 - 8/25/14 at 2:47am
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic