Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Sheaf World Records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheaf World Records
    Posted: 8/22/14 at 9:15am
Congratulations to Travis Gardner and Daniel Goulet for setting (2) world records last weekend at the Leger Invitational in Cashiers, NC in the Light 16# Sheaf Toss. Travis cleared 39' 2" (which was the maximum height of sheaf towers) and Daniel set the world record for light weight athletes weighing under 200 pounds. Daniel cleared 33' 6", and then had bar raised to 34' 6" and he cleared that height as well. Good job guys. Daniel's weigh-in was verified by judges Ed Bodenheimer, Robert Blackmon and Scott Medlin with same judges verifying sheaf height. The bag was verified with (3) different scales with weight ranging from 16 lbs., 3.0 oz. to 16 lbs., 3.5oz.

Athletes received a lot of encouragement from (2) professional athletes that were at the game (Wes Kiser and Eric Frasure), with both of those guys helping athletes all day long. Thanks Wes and Eric!
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/14 at 9:36am
Congrats fellas! Well done.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
TedL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/14 at 9:55am
Great day of competition. Multiple games records smashed by Shane Sutherland and 3 Am. World Records on the Sheaf. Congratulations Daniel Goulet, B Winner, Travis Gardner, A winner and Shane Sutherland, Athlete of the day. Congratulations Daniel and Travis on your world record 16lb sheaf toss!
Ted Leger
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/14 at 8:28am
Tip of the hat to you gentlemen
Skinny guy trying to get big
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 12:25am
Did Daniel compete as a Lightweight? It shows on the database that it was as an Am B, and I'm wondering if they had to combine lightweights due to size of class with the Bs or if he competed Bs. Not trying to stir up trouble, just wondering if that's allowed. If it is I'mma be weighin in at P-Town.
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 12:31am
And then I read the comments above. But the question remains. If you compete in another class, but would be eligible for another, are you eligible for the other's records?
TedL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 4:36pm
SlFarr,
I see you took the time to post not once, but twice to the world record sheafs mentioned above. I also see that apparently the word 'congratulations' is not part of your vocabulary. I can see you are going to bring a lot to this sport.
Ted Leger
Ted Leger
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 5:39pm
My most sincere apologies. A big congratulations to the big throws! You'll have to forgive me. That just caught me off guard and I was more drawn to wondering if that makes him eligible or not, than congratulations. Regrettably so. But my question is still out there for anyone that knows.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 6:19pm
Don't think lightweights are contested at P-town
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 7:22pm
Yeah, but what I'm wondering is if you competed in a different class, but you weigh in under 200, are you eligible for <200 records? I think I'm making sense but I might just be making sense in my head.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 7:45pm
If the Ad follows the protocol for weighing( listed on this site and LW site) but don't think Steve Conway has time to weigh one athlete so he can stock his ego at one of the biggest and most prestigious games around..why not just go to a games tat has a lightweight class instead of trying to buck the trend
JUST BRING IT /

Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 7:51pm
Don't think the protocol is all that complicated. But if it is, I'm not gonna push Steve to do something that is going to take too much effort. I was just curious is all.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 8:08pm
Why not compete at a LW games?
JUST BRING IT /

BKetch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKetch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 8:09pm
I have to agree Scott. If an A.D. is willing to check the scale for an athlete pre-games, than those marks should be eligible for consideration.

All due respect Dan, but I don't see it as bucking a trend. I see it as bringing clarity to a growing class in our sport.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, CONGRATS to Travis and Daniel for their tremendous throws!!

*this topic should be started as new thread...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

BJ Ketchem
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 8:24pm
I just want to be clear, I was never disputing it as a record. I was just surprised, as I never knew you could do that. It was an honest question about the validity of the record. Sense it is completely valid by the look of things, another big congrats to Daniel! And congrats to Travis as well of course!
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 8:30pm
The rules here: http://www.hglightweightrecords.org/rules.html don't directly address this, but don't seem to prohibit competing in an open class and setting a record. However, when I started keeping lightweight class records, the rules as explained to me (never did see them in writing) specifically required that a record be set while competing in an official lightweight class. I still follow those rules. Of course, the lightweight class was at the time defined as under 190lbs, and I still follow that, too, so what I do doesn't apply to the under 200lb records.
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 8:39pm
I don't know which of the rules the <200 have adopted or eliminated, but on their site, the following is what they have stipulated. 

1. The athlete must weigh 200lbs or under on the morning of competition. (There is no 1 lb allowance for records)
  2. The AD or the designated LW judge will weigh the athlete in the morning of the competition on a verified scale.
    1. digital scale must be used on a hard surface
    2. No weigh-ins will be allowed on a soft surface (IE...  Grass.)
    3. No dial up scales will be allowed for weigh-ins (it is too easy to manipulate the weight.  If an athlete is weighed on a dial up scale the record will not count...Sorry!!!)  
    4. Weigh-in must take place no more than 3 hours before the competition (No night before weigh ins as this is a weight based class and if you want or think you can break a record then step up and be 200 or under on the day of Contest)
  3. The scales will be verified prior to weigh-ins with a weight of some sort of weight
    1. A known 56lb weight should be used to verify the scale is within specs on the same surface as the weigh-in takes place
  4. In the event that a record is broken at a games, the implement will need to be taken to a certified scale ( post office, UPS) and verified to be official weight.
    1. The weight will be verified by the AD who will be in charge of weighing in the implement.  It preferably should have a picture or video to prove that it was done. 
    2. No on field certified scales will be allowed for weighing in implements. 
    3. Ultimately the AD is in charge of assuring us that this was done correctly.
  5. Any under 200 records will need to better the existing 190 and under records. 
    1. If a 200lb athlete throws a better throw and everything is verified then they will have a 200lb record.
    2. If a 190 and under guy breaks that 200lb record then the 190 guy will have now the 190 record and 200 record.
    3. All existing 190 records will now be the 200lb records as well until beaten.   
  6. 190 and under records will still need to be verified with Adam Guasch-Melendez as he is the holder of the 190 records. (we won’t post a 190 record until he has posted it)
  7. The rules for measuring Height and distance throws will still follow NASGA rules.  

The people in charge of that board will have to decide I guess. Personally I see nothing wrong with it, as long as everybody abides by and understands the rules. 

If its allowable, Great! If not, I'm sure you can reproduce it, Daniel, and I hope you do at a LW comp. 
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 9:09pm
Dude you seem so keen to stroke your ego and set a record( congrats on making the Aclass at P town) but go to a LW games,nationals,worlds and set the damn record...you're setting all your sights on setting some record instead of competing and winning your class
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 9:16pm
Go to P town compete in A class/set records in A class.....go to another games compete as a LW/set a record in LW class..what is hard to comprehend? Come on dude
JUST BRING IT /

Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/24/14 at 9:20pm
What makes you so sure that the LW records are my main goal? I simply stated that if it is allowable and doesn't put anyone to trouble, I see no reason to not do it. Believe me, I am competing to win my class. Don't know if I will, but that is my main goal. Simply having other potential goals does not eliminate or lower the drive towards a main goal. I do this sport because I enjoy this sport. If it was an ego issue, I would be in more mainstream sport. Ego is not an issue, otherwise you would have seen posts from me the other 5 times I've broken lightweight records. I was simply surprised that it was allowable because I assumed otherwise (flaw on my part to assume without verifying, but that's why I asked) in the past. That does not mean I dispute it in the least. But despite all that, I did get a little excited when I realized that meant that there was a chance for me to take shots at records at P town. Forgive me for sharing my excitement with the forum. 

Also thanks for the congrats, haha
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 8:11am
Originally posted by TedL TedL wrote:

SlFarr,
I see you took the time to post not once, but twice to the world record sheafs mentioned above. I also see that apparently the word 'congratulations' is not part of your vocabulary. I can see you are going to bring a lot to this sport.
Ted Leger

Is there an obligation to say 'congrats' if you post in this thread?  I must have missed that memo. 

Re: CLASS records

If you're legitimately weighed in the morning of any comp, and you set a class record, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't count.  No different than age class records. 
TedL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 9:01am
Never said there was an obligation Mr. Smith. Your response to my post speaks volumes. This is why I very rarely log onto the Nasgabook message board anymore. Best of luck to you.
Ted Leger
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 9:22am
The guy asked a legit question, and as opposed to answer him you ignored his question and chastised him for not saying 'congratulations'. 

And I'm the asshole.

Best of luck to you too, sir. 
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 9:56am
Stroke his ego? Funny how quick people jump on others around here. You obviously have never met Scott Farr. Just a good kid asking a simple question. Scott, I would just ask Conway if it's ok you weigh in before. Should be fine. If not, no big deal.
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
BKetch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKetch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 10:03am
Originally posted by Ryan Stewart Ryan Stewart wrote:

Stroke his ego? Funny how quick people jump on others around here. You obviously have never met Scott Farr. Just a good kid asking a simple question.

Well said, Ryan.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

BJ Ketchem
Flame of Idaho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flame of Idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 11:14am
dWood, if you are so insistant that SLFarr throw in an actual lightweight class for records, then it sounds like you are suggesting the above sheaf record is invalid if he competed in the B class.

TedL, your initial comment to SLFarr came across as flat-out RUDE, and you don't seem to be appeased by his very well-meaning responses. I want to think you are a nice person, but it seems you are feeling personally attacked and defensive because a simple question might jepordize what you called a record.

Also based on the rules posted above, the record might stand in jepordy since there was no mention of a certified, off-site scale used...

As an AD myself, I am interested in the civilized debate this brings up. I could see both sides.

...Ohh and did I mention congrats to the two gigantic throws whether "Somebody" calls them official or not.
Mike Beech View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 1:05pm
And what happens if he doesn't weigh the implement at an off-site scale? Will the record be stricken from the official record books by the governing body of the sport? Will fines be levied by the commissioner?

Ted runs games with integrity, so a record at his games is legit in my mind. But if we wanted to, we could all throw baked potatoes over a bar and call it a world record. Until such time that isn't the case, let's just save the "legitimate record" routine in every single one of these threads and say "great throw!"
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 1:33pm
Please stop the potato abuse talk.  
Flame of Idaho View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flame of Idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 2:34pm
I don't doubt Ted's integrity. In my opionion, using three different scales sounds like a pretty good way if there is no post-office around, just like using two tape measures pulled as tight as you can because there isn't a steel one available/long enough, or what have you. We had a record broken at our games and we felt it was important enough to actually go down to the post-office and take a picture of the scale reading with judges signatures on the picture itself because we didn't want ANY doubt about the legitmacy of it. We owe that much respect to the awesomeness of the athlete who threw it. 

So in the end one could say that the person who keeps the "official" records will be the final say. But I will say world records seems to be getting broken quite a lot, and if we as a general group don't have SOME rules to follow regarding record or throwing in general, then what's the point? We don't need to get into T&F vs. HG, governing bodies as that is in so many other threads. But the point is, if there is a rule that specifies, why not follow it. If it doesn't suit practicality, then challenge it and change it.
D. Haakenson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D. Haakenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 2:53pm
This is quite a bit off-topic and so I feel it fits with the general attitude of this thread. Don't try to legitimize a throw measured with a fiberglass tape by "pulling it as hard as you can." The purpose of a steel tape is that it doesn't stretch, which means it is in the best interest of the athlete. If you pull a fiberglass tape hard it will stretch thus making the measurement short.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic