Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Bowling Ball Braemar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bowling Ball Braemar?
    Posted: 8/25/14 at 2:24am
I found a 16lb and 18lb bowling ball on Craigslist for a great price. $10 for the pair.

Is a bowling ball a decent tool to train Braemar or Open stone?

On one hand, I like that it is less dense than a shot put for the weight. My first thought is that it might be a better way to train for the stones in the Games. Compared to using a smaller diameter shot put, I mean.

I used the search function but only found a few mentions of bowling ball here on the forum. Not enough to tell me one way or another if other throwers are using it - and if so, if there is carryover to the stone throws.
http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 6:49am
Reasonable weight for an open stone, but much bigger. Bigger than most Braemar stones, but much lighter. Probably not a bad idea to throw it occasionally, just for variety, but I don't think it would work well as a regular practice implement.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 7:59am
Get a rock.  Skip the bowling ball.
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 8:09am
I started out with a bowling ball. 

I doubt I'd recommend it, honestly, esp given the options. 
BenEdwards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 12:39am
Originally posted by agm_ agm_ wrote:

Reasonable weight for an open stone, but much bigger. Bigger than most Braemar stones, but much lighter. Probably not a bad idea to throw it occasionally, just for variety, but I don't think it would work well as a regular practice implement.
Thanks for the input!  I'll keep one around for variety then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Thanks Duncan!  I have a few rocks that I've picked up here and there over the last few months.  Nothing that is even close to the more round-ish Braemar stones I've seen in the two comps I've competed in.  I have a 15lb stone that isn't terrible to throw, although the shape is not even close to round.  Then a 29lb stone that is almost teardrop shaped and is pure shit to throw. 

I can't seem to find that magical 22lb stone that is even close to being round.  I'm not looking for a perfectly round stone.  Those are called "shots."  Not against those either, so I may just quit being a cheap bastard and buy a 20lb shot and call it quits. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 12:44am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I started out with a bowling ball. 

I doubt I'd recommend it, honestly, esp given the options. 
Thanks Craig!  That's pretty interesting to hear you started out throwing a bowling ball.  I'm going to keep the bowling ball in storage and use the rocks then. 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 7:48am
Yea, it served it's purpose at the time, but looking back...just finding a stone would have been a much better option.  
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/14 at 9:10am
Originally posted by BenEdwards BenEdwards wrote:

Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Thanks Duncan!  I have a few rocks that I've picked up here and there over the last few months.  Nothing that is even close to the more round-ish Braemar stones I've seen in the two comps I've competed in.  I have a 15lb stone that isn't terrible to throw, although the shape is not even close to round.  Then a 29lb stone that is almost teardrop shaped and is pure shit to throw. 

I can't seem to find that magical 22lb stone that is even close to being round.  I'm not looking for a perfectly round stone.  Those are called "shots."  Not against those either, so I may just quit being a cheap bastard and buy a 20lb shot and call it quits. 
Don't worry about the shape Ben.  What matters is the weight.  I have a few Braemar stones from 20-30 pounds; make sure they have a good handle and you can actually toss them, but don't sweat trying to find a perfect stone.  Train with awful ones and then get to the Games for the good ones.  No surprises that way!
The man in the arena.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/14 at 10:16am
Use the bowling ball to practice for Stone Mountain, or the old Montgomery Bama game.  Similar to what you throw there
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenEdwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/14 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

Use the bowling ball to practice for Stone Mountain, or the old Montgomery Bama game.  Similar to what you throw there

Thanks for the tip!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic