Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: RJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: RJ
    Posted: 8/27/14 at 11:05am
After Researching many training logs, I am going to start one of my own. Any help will be greatly appreciated and of course heckling is expected. I do not have a track and Field Background, I was a pitcher with a cannon in high school. Just recently I have been able to actually "feel" what is happening during each event and I am stoked to be able to correct my many bad habits. I plan on competing for as long as I physically can and I want to be competitive at the highest level possible for my abilities.

Edited by Sanspeur - 8/27/14 at 12:22pm
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 11:45am
I, for one, fail to see how a piece of music in which the same melody is begun in different parts successively, thereby creating overlapping imitations did anything for your fastball.

Welcome to the boards.
The man in the arena.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 11:53am
^^ expected heckling

Haha, welcome!
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:20pm
as expected
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:21pm
Couldn't help it.  You ready for The Show this weekend RJ?
The man in the arena.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:25pm
I must be getting stronger! my buddy says the dumber you get the stronger you become lol. About as ready as I can be. don't get me wrong, I would love to put on a show, but, im not there yet... I just want to perform to my expectations and hopefully that keeps me competitive with the group
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:26pm
Duncan are you competing this weekend?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:34pm
Yes Sir I am.
The man in the arena.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:48pm
right on. Pro right? ill get to see your magnificent hair up close instead of on youtube
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:59pm
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

Not Pro, just a regular Joe.

Oh, and the hair is WAY MOAR AWESOMER thanks to argan oil.
The man in the arena.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 1:19pm
Since I am rooming with Duncan, for a cool hundred you can have a piece of his luscious locks.
www.sportkilt.com
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 3:16pm
ROB, im torn between getting the luscious lock like the creepy thin man or paying you to play Delila the night before. which if you're competing, isn't a bad idea all the way around. Duncan tell us the source of your power so that we may afflict you haha
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/14 at 3:55pm
Cant wait for this weekend, I'm hoping to best some of my pr's. Its going to be a good time competing with some seriously talented guys. I will definitely be robbing technique from any and all I can   
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/14 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Sanspeur Sanspeur wrote:

ROB, im torn between getting the luscious lock like the creepy thin man or paying you to play Delila the night before. which if you're competing, isn't a bad idea all the way around. Duncan tell us the source of your power so that we may afflict you haha

It comes from hope. It's a good thing...maybe the best thing. And no good thing ever dies.
The man in the arena.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/14 at 4:51pm
So Pleasanton was an awesome time for me. Learned a lot by watching and by the advice of much better throwers. feeling excited again to train even smarter than before.

on a side note the movie "Bloodsport" is AWESOME!!! Van Damage for life lol
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/14 at 5:27pm
haven't done any training since this past weekend due to having minor sx this past Tuesday. looking forward to getting out this weekend and doing some light training.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 3:47am
because I have nothing else better to do all day, I think of how to fix my technique for the games. specially the wfd and wob. I feel like because I don't know how to perform power cleans wob will continue to elude me. eehh. I do feel however im close to figuring my butt from a mole hill in the wfd tech that will jump start my progress again. ive been told my first spin is a little fast and to slow it down. I also think I am not waiting long enough after the cast as the ball heads towards 12 o'clock. now I have been told pulling the ball down is what creates the necessary speed for big throws, however, I felt it just threw me around. I have been doing it the way Mike Pockoski teaches and I feel stable throughout. I know I anyone reads this I will be told that video helps to be able to give critique. I will try and get some vdeo up as soon as possible.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 8:35am

I feel like because I don't know how to perform power cleans wob will continue to elude me.

I don't agree with this at all, fwiw. 
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 8:47am
Watch a lot of video of different people doing cleans and find someone with a body similar to your body and watch a lot of video of that.  Visualize your body in those positions and the three pulls and the explosion w the jump and catch.  Then go deadlift and get strong.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 9:02am
RJ, what Craig and Uncle Myles are saying is that there is nothing wrong with trying to learn cleans.  But power cleaning 405 doesn't mean you will go 16' in WOB.  Get strong in any/every movement, but in the end find the one that works for you.  I don't really oly lift yet I can throw the WOB decently high.  YMMV.

www.sportkilt.com
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 9:18am
The power clean has nothing in common with a properly done WOB as far as pure movement goes.

The olifts are just another tool in the gym. If you're not naturally twitchy, you'll get more out of them because you're constantly trying to move a bar quickly. However, speed deads, speed squats, speed bench, etc will do the same thing. So will hill sprints, box jumps (low boxes. Noone needs to work their ability to pull their ankles up to their ears. Except my wife) and basically anything people consider "athletic" or "plyo" based.

Learn the technique of throws from throwing. Use the gym to drop a bigger motor in.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 9:36am
Thank you for the advice. I've been focusing on speed lifts i.e.; dead's, squats, bench and feel as though I am "snappy" from the bottom of the lift. I do need to get out and throw more. has anyone ever tried having a somewhat relaxed/ soft grip when throwing to maybe feel when you're fighting the weight and when you're not?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 9:40am
You shouldn't ever be fighting the weight.  Let it do the work. 

Also, hook grip your weights. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 10:31am

Thank you for the advice. I've been focusing on speed lifts i.e.; dead's, squats, bench and feel as though I am "snappy" from the bottom of the lift. I do need to get out and throw more. has anyone ever tried having a somewhat relaxed/ soft grip when throwing to maybe feel when you're fighting the weight and when you're not?

Please let me know when you are going to do ^^^ so I can stand behind something!!!
The man in the arena.
Sanspeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanspeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 10:49am
I am just going to really have to try and almost walk through the throw to slow it down, enough to focus on key points. I was watching Ryan Stewart's video on wfd for Duncan and realized I start my first spin with no hip involvement. now, not knowing what good technique feels like, yet, it looks as though the throw, as it hits its low point just posterior to the glute and starts to come up and around, that there is a drive with the hip and leading the weight with the shoulder. this is just some of the things I ponder and need to put into action to see if they are correct or if I need to drink the concept away soon after lol
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 10:57am

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

... Noone needs to work their ability to pull their ankles up to their ears. Except my wife) 

The Sean we know and love is BACK!
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 12:11pm
HOW THE FAKK did I miss Langford's gold?
The man in the arena.
Karlg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

So will hill sprints, box jumps (low boxes. Noone needs to work their ability to pull their ankles up to their ears. Except my wife) and basically anything people consider "athletic" or "plyo" based.

Nice!
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/14 at 12:32pm

on a side note the movie "Bloodsport" is AWESOME!!!

"KUMITE, KUMITE, KUMITE, KUMITE, KOOM-TAY, KOOM-TAY, KOOM-TAY, KOOM-TAY!"
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic