FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Elephant TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elephant TV
    Posted: 10/13/14 at 3:14am
One question that I would be interested in reading folks comments about is "Why are television companies so reluctant to dedicate 5-6 hours to enable a Highland Games Heavy Event to be broadcast live?"

To start the ball rolling I have to admit that I was really disappointed during the recent Commonwealth Games here in Scotland that the only Discus and Shot Putt Coverage that I could find was footage of the Gold, Silver and Bronze throws. 

Two of my favourite female Heavies from the Inverness Games were throwing for Team Scotland and I was gutted when I sat down to watch them compete in their finals to discover that somebody had decided that I would rather listen to endless opinions on the 4 x 100m egg and spoon race or whatever the hell they were talking about.

I suppose if Scotland or England had been in with a chance of a medal we would have seen them; but it seems so sad that Field events are so ignored by mainstream TV these days. 

How on earth can we hope to inspire the next generation of throwers and jumpers and vaulters here in Scotland if we don't give them something to aspire to?

I suppose - in the eyes of the Scottish TV Director who is always conscious of the need to prevent folk channel hopping or he will lose his job - that Field events simply take too long. 

As a result - the coverage of everything that is not on the track these days is heading towards heavily edited into highlights. That is a worrying trend - it says that this part of the programme is second class - no matter how talented the athletes are. 

I guess that worrying trend leads my thoughts back to asking you to comment on Highland Games Heavy events. What needs to change in order to get our Heavies the coverage that their talent deserves?

I have my own suggestions but I will save my thoughts for later. 

Gerry

Edited by greynolds177 - 10/13/14 at 4:21am
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/14 at 10:12am
Kind of a weird post, since you jump back and forth from T&F to HG.  I'll do the same.  

Why on earth would anyone would want to sit through six hours of a live Highland Games broadcast is beyond me.  It's incredibly boring compared with just about every other televised sporting event.  The same can be said for some other strength sports as well.  Is that even debatable?  

As a general rule, individual actions aren't near as exciting to watch as actual competition, where it's actually person v. person or team v. team.  Which is likely why the WSM or Crossfit has heats where you get to see that mono e mono (or more) action.  That also relates to the oft brought up point regarding a skilled announcer at a game. to be able to relate that competition to the folks watching.  it's not the same, but it helps.   

Regarding track and field aspect and why a TV company wouldn't pay for it... I assume I have the same ideas that everyone else does about that.

We have no real schedule of events like other sports do.  Networks pay the NFL, NBA, etc... millions of dollars because they are getting a set number of PROVEN events that draw ratings.  Those events are promoted by the companies themselves as well as the sponsors.  

The track portion gets much more air time, I'm assuming in part, because of their broad base and numerous and loyal sponsors.  There are runners everywhere.  Throwers....not so much.  As HG athletes we basically don't have anything to offer the sponsors, nor do we use any equipment or apparel that a sponsor would want to jump on.  

All of the things that people want to make HG a televised sport have to realize that almost every single game here is it's own entity, and is merely part of the entertainment at a cultural festival.  Have meat pie and watch the guys in kilts throw sticks and stones around.  

One of the likely ways to fix this is a singular organization.  Which we know is never happening.  

I can't speak to "throwers and jumpers and vaulters here in Scotland", but since television and internet exposure is worldwide I can't imagine that it's any different than over here.   

You also, even currently, have politics playing a role in the invites.  Yes, at both world championships.  Not the third one though, because they don't even send invites, afaik.    

What would be cool is to have a HG championship, WSM style.  25-30 athletes get invited and there are heats where people advance until you're down to 8-10 athletes for a final.  Have this happen over the course of a week or so.  I'd be down with that.  

Anyway, just some ramblings to add to your ramblings...     

greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/14 at 11:00am
Decent Ramblings C.Smith.

I hopped between Heavy Events and Track and Field in order to highlight the seriously second class status of field events (compared with track); and provide the opportunity for someone to put the challenge ahead of us in context - which you did.

I am always reading folk saying it would be great if Heavy Events were on TV (because - as the theory goes - all the money problems would go away) so I am delighted that when I mentioned a live broadcast - you immediately asked the million dollar question - "why on earth would anyone want to watch six hours..." Smile +1 point

According to the latest reseach one-hour tv shows, cable and broadcast, now typically have 43 minutes of actual program compared with 48 minutes in the late 80's—a 9% commercial creep.

We have 43 mins to tell the story of our World Championships....where do we begin?

A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/14 at 7:54pm
Interesting stuff.
43 minutes mean you have to record the event and then televise compressed. Like WSM.

There are practical things that could help during an actual competition that would make it more viewer friendly:

A good announcer. This is well known

Use markers instead of taping every throw. This speeds things up between theows and provides a visual cue to spectators, context for any single throw relative to the field.

A marker at either the games record, national record or world record gives context as well

Another though I've had is using a laser measuring device rather than tapes. You can get one from HD or Lowes that measures upto 170' for something like $179. If a record is in question, pull out a steel tape.

Don't always contest every event. Yeah, athletes love it, but spectators aren't as interested. The stuff that goes far and high is cool. And, of course the caber.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 6:34am
I agree with the don't contest every event suggestion.

My heart sinks every time I attend a Games and watch the audience loses interest as we go from light hammer to heavy hammer and Open Stone to Braemar Stone.

I fully appreciate the need to contest all the events and keep pushing the world records but in terms of our one and only shot at a TV show .... I would immediately go down to 5 events

In order of buzz I cannot split the top two at our Games 
1. WOB / Caber
3. Hammer
4. WFD
5. Stone

Obviously the buzz is different at different Games.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 7:26am
TV or not, 5 event games are where it's at. 

I've said it for years on here that every game should be 5 events.  
Skullsplitter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skullsplitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 8:05am
As for the crowd not staying interested, that is a flaw in organization. At the NHHG we have 5 events for the pros on Saturday, and for the sake of the athletes we do 3 events in the morning to keep them warmed up, then after a break have them do caber and wob back to back. 

Here is the key. I have Masters throwing all day in between pro events, only 6 of them to keep them running quickly. Pros warmup with Masters competing. Along with the Disabled Athletes I usually have other attractions, such as a Strongman demo. We also raffle things off. Everyone who comes to the NHHG knows I am constantly staying on everyone about keeping a schedule. 

When the crowd has to watch warm ups, they leave. When the crowd watches competition or even a special event such as a Strongman demo, they stay. When they leave they will not come back. When they stay, they stay all day. 

We think Highland Games is all about the throwing. Spectators, the folks who pay to watch, will move to another venue at a Games if there is a break. To help them stay at the athletics venue we have our beer tent next to the field as well as food vendors. 

News flash, this is about entertainment. I hate to say that but it is true. Give folks something to keep their attention and they will make a day of watching. 

As for the 5 events, I agree with Craig. Compress the competition into about 3 hours tops and that is also a good way to keep your crowd. Like in Scotland, 1 - 4 pm for the throwing. 9 am to 5 pm with the athletes milling around chatting is not crowd friendly. No crowd/ paying customers, no money for pros. 

I do hope this ruffles peoples feathers to get them to think a bit more about how to hold a games that is spectator friendly. Either keep them entertained for several hours or have a very quick 5 event competition. Take your pick. Our surveys and crowds tell the tale. 

Bill 
"I am the thread, the pupil, and the eye of the needle is my teacher"
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 8:47am
^^ That post is a winner, and I'd say Bill's results speak for themselves.  
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 9:55am
So WOB/Caber is one event?  What would the 5 events be, the light or heavy events?
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 10:09am
No wob and caber after lunch break. That's 2 events. 3 are 1 hammer/1 stone/1 wfd. Repeat on day 2 with the other 3. Challenge caber after break. 9 events for pro OVER 2 days
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 10:24am
Originally posted by brandell brandell wrote:

So WOB/Caber is one event?

Reread what he wrote...and the numbers. 

Originally posted by brandell brandell wrote:

What would the 5 events be, the light or heavy events?

Depends on the game.  Some vary them year to year (light one year, heavy the next), others stay the same every year. 
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 10:49am
The only thing I'd add too for ADs is keep a handle on your warmup time, especially for the pros. Left to their own, a lot of guys will warm up for 30 freakin minutes for each event. If you're moving from heavy to light (or light to heavy) on the weights or hammers, they don't need long warmups, no matter how much they whine.

Having other classes fill the space isn't a bad idea as long as you give them their due as well.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

The only thing I'd add too for ADs is keep a handle on your warmup time, especially for the pros. Left to their own, a lot of guys will warm up for 30 freakin minutes for each event.

I don't know who you're competing with...but it certainly isn't me, lol.  A couple throws should be plenty for anyone.   

If you're moving from heavy to light (or light to heavy) on the weights or hammers, they don't need long warmups, no matter how much they whine.

There is no warmup time needed in those instances at all.  Many games realize this and go right into the next event.  I see the lack of prepped score sheets or the time spent scoring the event as more of a factor, when the athletes are ready to go. 

Having other classes fill the space isn't a bad idea as long as you give them their due as well.

^^ this. 
Stahmixson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stahmixson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 1:07pm
We do 5 events each game for years in the Netherlands/Belgium.
And change the light and heavy for each event at different games.

For example:
Game 1: HH, LWFD, BS, Caber and WOB
Game 2: LH, HWFD, OS, Caber and WOB

Works just fine. Only thing is that the technical athlete is at a bit of
a disadvantage, because Caber and WOB (the power events) are 40% of the results, instead of just 25% at a traditional 8 event game.

swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 4:15pm
No long breaks in the action is an very important one, always having something to draw the crowd in and keep them there is key (this includes having a good announcer that lets the crowd follow the competition).  In Victoria the Amateurs/Masters throw in the mornings and then the Pro's in the afternoons.  It is amazing how fast the throwers can make it through all the events if properly motivated/organized.  In the years we have been running the Amateurs/Masters in the morning more often then not all groups have finished all 8 events in the four hours or so allotted. 

Having a beer tent along side the throwing area is huge as well, last year we doubled our capacity of the beer tent here due to long lineups the year before and it was still packed.  Victoria has two beer tents, one down in the main games area and one at the Heavy Events field and so far the Heavy's beer garden has been bigger and outsold the main one each year. 
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

big MAC View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big MAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/14 at 7:19pm
I've done 2 day strongman shows where they fitted 4 events into 1 hour and 45minute blocks each night. Great for the crowd. Inbetween, a good MC and a couple performances kept things rolling.
I had about 7minutes between doing a 190lb dumbell press for reps and starting a 705lb deadlift for reps. Zydrunas did a single warm-up lift for deadlift...705. Being a mortal I pulled 405 and 600 before going out.

Few things I enjoy less than starting a show at 9am and finishing at 6:30pm
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 2:37pm
So "The Caber".... our joint # 1 crowd pleaser.

Unless the back judge wears a helmet camera - and we discover a way to make all of our Heavies run down the same straight line ... well it is rather difficult to film a 12 o'clock and convince the viewing audience that the previous guy really did get an 11.59.

The SHGA don't approve of the obvious caber for distance alternative so it is time to put our thinking caps on.

Caber OVER the bar might work.... 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 2:40pm
... or a hammer version of floodlit target golf. 

Of course we could combine hammer throwing with the X Factor and do away with the big crosses. 

"Tonight Simon I am going to do my world famous farmyard impressions."

"Hey you! Get off that tractor .." THWACK!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by big MAC big MAC wrote:

Few things I enjoy less than starting a show at 9am and finishing at 6:30pm

I would rather have just 5 events on 1 day; or split the usual 8 events into 2 half day sessions of 4. 

A 9-10 hour marathon is such a pain. 

I like the more relaxed 2 day Highland Games.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by greynolds177 greynolds177 wrote:

and we discover a way to make all of our Heavies run down the same straight line

I have actually advocated for this for some time, and several games have adopted it.  Paint either an alley or a line on the field and the athletes must stay in it, and the scores are based upon it.  It works quite well, especially on fields with an uneven pitch.

Nothing worse than someone winning the caber with a difficult stick simply because they ran downhill.    

... well it is rather difficult to film a 12 o'clock and convince the viewing audience that the previous guy really did get an 11.59.

If this is happening, you have a caber problem, or rather an athletic director problem, and far too easy of a caber was used.  

Caber OVER the bar might work.... 

It's been done before...
Larry Satchwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Satchwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 4:14pm
C. Smith is right on the mark, 5 events. A good announcer is essential. A beer tent close by also helps. I can tell you from experience, it is hard to keep the crowd engage with back to back light and heavy hammers, especially if the handle breaks and there is a long delay.

If the sheaf is contested, the Chicago rules for sheaf toss helps too, three misses total and you're out. With that rule you should be able to go in and take passes.

Just my opinion,

Satch

BTW! Stone Mountain will have perfect weather this weekend, a little windy on Sunday.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 4:47pm
That's pretty cool stuff right there

Jeff Ingram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 7:32pm
Quote I can tell you from experience, it is hard to keep the crowd engage with back to back light and heavy hammers, especially if the handle breaks and there is a long delay.

Man, I have felt like a voice in the wilderness voicing this opinion for a long time.

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/14 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by Larry Satchwell Larry Satchwell wrote:

it is hard to keep the crowd engage with back to back light and heavy hammers, especially if the handle breaks and there is a long delay.

Unless Matt Doherty is on hand with his style of hammers. 

Man changed out a broken hammer in under 20 seconds. A few women in the crowd had their water break during it. 

Freakin' beautiful
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/14 at 10:21am

I would rather have just 5 events on 1 day; or split the usual 8 events into 2 half day sessions of 4. 

A 9-10 hour marathon is such a pain. 

I like the more relaxed 2 day Highland Games.

+1 for 5 events in 1 day.

Two-day games could be okay: MWC 2014 is the first multi-day games I have done and I was already in for a longer stay anyway. But most 7-9 eventers I've done have early starts or are too far away to drive there the day of the event (or both). These ones have been 2-overnighters (in a hotel). A multi-day format would stretch that to 3 overnights and possibly another day absent from work.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/14 at 2:43pm
We use the 5 events in one day format at Inverness - with the post competition Stonemason's Stone - 252 pound over a 5 foot bar  - used to close the show. 
Anyone visiting us can expect Hammer, WFD, Stone, WOB & Caber.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/14 at 11:52pm
This is all hypothetical anyways:  Less events maybe the way to go when running one premier flight (pros) and a supporting flight.  Not sure if it matters that much for TV as the event would probably be edited down.  If so, then why not run the Heavy and Light events ... Broadcast one, which ever was most competitive,  and give results for another.   More material to choose from in order to make a better show?  

As for game day entertainment, I am a proponent of multi-flight nine event format.  Start around 9:30 and things are wrapping between 2:30 to 3:30

Entertainment wise, with a good announcer, there seems to be no problem with 9 events - multi-flight format, as the audience always seems entertained.  It is a bit like a three ring circus.  

I seem to have at least 5 flights (Super A-A, B, C, Women, Masters, and now and then I have a flight of  LWs and/or a college throwers). With this format, there is always something going on in the height events and caber field through out the day (or in any other throwing pit).

When afternoon rolls around and the crowds are the largest, the big boys and girls are on the height events and caber field ... works out just fine for entertainment and this is what the crowd seems to like.   Throwers in these flights have been around and know how to play to the crowd. 

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/14 at 11:53pm
One thing that was not touched on is speeding up the height events to avoid  the "they like height events until they don't syndrome".   Several games in the Midwest have been doing 3' jumps in sheaf in the first few rounds and 1.5' jumps in WOB -- speeds up the events as this separates the wheat from the chafe quicker. 
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/14 at 5:06am
Opening heights wob and sheep toss at some of the masters ( MWC ) games is a joke and contributes to senseless delays. Just a shot at the 10 footers !

Just to b clear NHHG/ Loon is about location location location and the generosity of Ray and Cinda. There's no grand design, managements logistics involved there Mr Smith. You should make the trip. Loon has been attracting 10's of thousands for decades it's all about the view.... close to peak, mountains and rivers. Best of all is the after party. Beer tent location, determined by Sam Adams is key. Lots of fans with a 3 beer Boston Buzz does help. Sat's it rocks Sundays are a big drop off. So thank mother nature and the original organizers of the games. There's an old ESPN episode that's pretty cool. You'll seeeeee the hook. I know guys who get a shot 1-2 times always miss coming back. So have Ams Good Masters Bad Masters Good Pros Bad Pros call it a Webo worlds or the NewEngland Championships the masses will b there.
I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/14 at 7:56am

Productive discussion so far on the format - and the things to avoid - well done all!

Having just staged MWC2014 I have come to the conclusion that sadly nobody is ever going to be interested enough to invest resources into filming anything but the elite heavies in our sport. 

We might get the odd ESPN one off - the old isn't this a lovely big ethnic festival type of film - but we have to get from where we are today to one programme a year dedicated to the competition to be our #1. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic