Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training split

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training split
    Posted: 10/20/14 at 2:09pm
Hi, I am looking for a bit of help with my training/throwing split. At the moment I train Monday: chest tri's and some throws, Wednesday: legs, upper back and throws, Friday:shoulders, biceps and throws. I haven't competed in a few years and plan to compete next year. My throws are good considering I'm pre exhaust before I throw. I've always been lucky that when I used to compete that my throws after 8 weeks training were strong enough to compete. But I'm planning on training completely for Highland games, no powerlifting or strongman distractions and would like any advice on training/throwing splits both off season and on season.
Thanks
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/14 at 4:03pm
Hi!  You're going to get a pretty broad range of opinion on this one.  But, like much of training, take what works for you!  

Are you able to throw on those off days? Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday?  If you're going to lift three days, I'd suggest you consider throwing on the off days.  I'd look at throwing on, for example, Tuesday, Thursday, and then once on the weekend so you can rest completely on the other.

For a few years, now, I've split my throwing into sessions like the below. I've never liked the, "throw everything like it's a full games," training idea. You simply cannot get the reps in that you'll need in each event. 

Day 1 - Stone, Heavy Weight, Light Hammer
Day 2 - Light weight, heavy hammer, sheaf
Day 3 - WOB, Caber

Now, I'll mix up my days a bit, but I almost always split my hammers and weights up. This will give you, essentially, two days to work on technique in those events. Mix up the stones, sheaf, caber, WOB, but keep your weights on opposite days as well as the hammers.

Kilted Celt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/14 at 4:33pm
Thanks for the reply and advice, I would normally do 10 throws on each implement, its probably preference but what sort of rep range would you advise I should look toward?
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/14 at 8:39pm
my advice is to take a look through some of the various training logs some folks are kind enough to put on here, and try to sniff out the pearls of wisdom which you can use to create a training cycle that will work for you.

Your original post makes no sense at all to me in terms of training, but if it works for you - then, that is what is important.

If your new to the sport, the more throwing you do, the better off you will be.  Nothing quite builds the muscles and "balance" you need to throw far except actually throwing.  But if you are young like Dan, you can train 6 days a week, 2, 3 times per day and still win championships everywhere you go :)
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/14 at 3:23am
Originally posted by Kilted Celt Kilted Celt wrote:

Hi, I am looking for a bit of help with my training/throwing split. At the moment I train Monday: chest tri's and some throws, Wednesday: legs, upper back and throws, Friday:shoulders, biceps and throws. I haven't competed in a few years and plan to compete next year. My throws are good considering I'm pre exhaust before I throw. I've always been lucky that when I used to compete that my throws after 8 weeks training were strong enough to compete. But I'm planning on training completely for Highland games, no powerlifting or strongman distractions and would like any advice on training/throwing splits both off season and on season.
Thanks
Good to have you back to the Games, Nigel!  If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.  The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists.

After reading your initial post I have a few questions:

1.  You mention you haven't competed in a few years...how many?
2.  When you were competing, where/how often did you compete?
3.  Forgive my ignorance, but when you say your "throws are good" and "strong enough to compete," referencing your throws, what kind of numbers are we talking about here?

Not trying to pick any fights, just curious.

Also, as has already been posted in your thread, the secret to better distance really isn't any secret at all...you have to throw more.  Take a look at the Training Logs section of this board and see what other folks are doing and what their Games performances look like; see where they are spending their time in the gym and on the field.  Are the best throwers spending their iron hours doing curls and hack squats, or are they hitting conventional deadlifts and core stability exercises? 

Speaking from personal experience, ten reps per event isn't going to feed the bulldog.  Maybe in an event like Braemar where there aren't too many moving parts ten reps will be enough, but the other eight events will require more attention.  I've tried every split I can think of, but what has yielded the best results, at least for this guy, is a range-throwing approach with a minimum distance "line in the sand."  If I am training light hammer for example, I'll set a cone out to 110-115 feet; this is a distance I can meet or exceed with 90% of my practice attempts.  Most of the time I am going to go way over that mark, but having that target helps me focus.  I can really concentrate on fine-tuning my orbits, hip movement, etc...all the little things we tend to gloss over when we are really trying to kill it and hit a PR.  When my throws start to dip below that minimum standard and land in front of the cone, well, I know I have reached the point of diminishing returns and it's time to move on to another event or call it a day.  This has worked for me, and I've improved.

Other folks take 10 comp-level throws, going all out, and then call it a day.  Lucky b@stards.

Some of the fellas don't even train, they just lift and go beast-mode on Saturday.

If there was an exact formula, we'd all be doing the same things on the same days...but there isn't.  Check the Training Logs, keep asking pertinent questions, and you'll find a groove between your lifting and throwing where you'll see improvement.

With all that being said, advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past
from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Trust me on the sunscreen.

Word.
The man in the arena.
Kilted Celt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/14 at 7:50am
Thanks for the all the advice, sunscreen is great advice as I have suffered from Rudolph syndrome during many competitions,lol. As for my throws, when I said good enough to compete, I'm talking about my home Country which is Ireland, wouldn't be anywhere near you guys in terms of distance, but here's a few of my numbers, LWFD, 61'7", light hammer 95'( haven't thrown at full speed, trying to stay long and keep good radius). 56WOB 16' 6", 25lb sheaf 22.5', Struggle a bit with putt, 28lb Braemer 26'7". AT 6 weeks in after 4yrs without throwing I can't complain, I'm enjoying throwing again and have the competitive edge back
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/14 at 8:06am

+1 to checking the logs and seeing what people do...which varies quite a bit person to person. 

Originally posted by Kilted Celt Kilted Celt wrote:

56WOB 16' 6"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic