Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Question about implements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt_t2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about implements
    Posted: 12/03/14 at 2:58pm
I have never competed, but have wanted to for a while. I will compete this year at the Glasgow KY Highland games, and wanted to know about implements. I have the ability to make my own, but these will not be allowed in the games for sure, but I can not see buying the implements for all 7 of the contests. will there be ones that I can use for the games only or will I need to borrow some? Thanks for any help.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 3:05pm
Well stones you just have to head to a landscaping company and find a nice river rock about 22lbs (Braemar) and 16 for the open stone.

As for the 28/56 Weights for Distance and 56 WOB, go find some old used weight plates with the 1" holes. Get an eye bolt, a couple washers and a nut and put them together. Simple and cheap.

Hammer, go to lowes, home depo etc. and get 3/4" schedule 40 PVC, and cut that thing 50" from the flared bottom. (MUST keep the flared bottom).  Again use the 1" hole weights, slide those suckers on and get to winding said hammer.

Sheaf... gotta buy one or find someone who has one as well as the sheaf fork.

Caber. 16" Utility pole works wonders.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 3:07pm
Oh and to further answer your question you can use the home made ones no problem, but as always if you are near someone that actually throws it is best to throw with them if they are cool with it.
matt_t2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt_t2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 3:55pm
Ok that helps. I was just wondering if the old weight plates method would be allowed at the games. Thanks
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by matt_t2004 matt_t2004 wrote:

Ok that helps. I was just wondering if the old weight plates method would be allowed at the games. Thanks

Nope, but honestly it isn't that major of a difference. I would invest in a handle from one of the weight makers. That is where you really need it to be as close as possible. So check with the AD and see who makes the weights he uses, order a handle and you should be good to go.

Other than that its just rocks, wood, pvc and weights at the end of a chain, regardless of how they are made Thumbs Up
The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 4:07pm
Are you asking if you need to bring your own equipment to throw at the Competition itself?  That answer to that is No, you are not expected to bring your own implements.  The Games will supply the equipment that all the athletes will throw in competition.  They will provide the Stones, Weights, Hammers, and Cabers.  If they are contesting Sheaf, they will provide the Sheaf bags and typically athletes bring their own forks, but you will be able to borrow another athlete's fork if needed.   

Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 5:38pm
And KO and his family provide lunch, so your all set if you have a kilt and some throwing shoes.  Nice game to start with IMO.  You will have some solid guys there to question also.  Very nice field to throw on, nice and warm, good folks.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/14 at 6:08pm
For practice, homemade implements are fine.  I'll provide the cheapest option though, find someone to train with who already has the implements.  Being around someone who's thrown will also shorten the initial learning curve.  

It is a great game, if you've already been accepted that's great, if not make sure you complete the application when it's time.   
17/20 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 17/20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/14 at 6:35am
If you can purchase a kettlbell ( 35lb range) it might bridge the gap a bit until you have all the implements ..... The key is start moving and releasing, there a 1000 of training videos out there. Walmart should b under a dollar a pound on KB's. 8 lb Rock or Shot in a long wool sock for some single arm hammer winds. Get creative! Maybe ask Santa Claus.

I MAY BE BIG , BUT I'M FAST
matt_t2004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt_t2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/14 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by The Queen The Queen wrote:

Are you asking if you need to bring your own equipment to throw at the Competition itself?  That answer to that is No, you are not expected to bring your own implements.  <span style="line-height: 1.4;">The Games will supply the equipment that all the athletes will throw in competition.  They will provide the Stones, Weights, Hammers, and Cabers.  If they are contesting Sheaf, they will provide the Sheaf bags and typically athletes bring their own forks, but you will be able to borrow another athlete's fork if needed.   </span>

This answered my question thanks.
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/14 at 7:56am
Originally posted by 17/20 17/20 wrote:

If you can purchase a kettlbell ( 35lb range) it might bridge the gap a bit until you have all the implements ..... The key is start moving and releasing, there a 1000 of training videos out there. Walmart should b under a dollar a pound on KB's. 8 lb Rock or Shot in a long wool sock for some single arm hammer winds. Get creative! Maybe ask Santa Claus.

Kettlebells are great as an exercise, but in no way simulate a HG weight. As for "moving and releasing", a KB is a horrible way to practice, unless you chain it to a real handle. But, if you really want to train with a KB, at least use a heavy one, not a 35. 

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/14 at 11:33am
I disagree wholeheartedly with Mr. Landrich.  
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/14 at 12:54pm
and that is why we all have opinions. If you have kettlebells, by all means use them. They are better than nothing. But, to buy one to avoid buying something else, that you will buy eventually anyway seems silly.

Oh well, to each his own

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/14 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by mike landrich mike landrich wrote:

But, to buy one to avoid buying something else, that you will buy eventually anyway seems silly.

I agree with that sentiment.  

I just don't agree that they "in no way simulate a HG weight".  They can be valuable as far as footwork and positions go.  I've even thrown them a few times in a competition setting as an extra event.  Not near as much difference as you'd think.     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic