FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

SGL News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SGL News
    Posted: 12/19/14 at 7:17pm

The Scottish Games League (SGL) is proud to announce that our application to incorporate into a 501c(3) nonprofit organization has been approved by the state of Texas, where we are headquartered.  We have been incorporated specifically to foster National or International Amateur Sports Competition.

The SGL has completed the major portion of establishing 12 regions across the country, each of which are implementing a Regional League Championship like the Texas Amateur Championship Series established this year in Texas.  Look for information coming out soon regarding a region near you.

Check out the FAQs on the SGL website for answers to some of the questions you may have:  Scottish Games League FAQs.

Stay tuned.  More to come . . .

grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/14 at 9:46pm
Awesome........
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/14 at 10:13pm
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/14 at 1:39am

Mike, you have done the Highland Games a solid.  I would strongly encourage other AD's who have been in contact with Mike and the SGL to consider the affiliation and the big picture implications for the Amateur ranks.

There really is no downside.
The man in the arena.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/14 at 5:12am
Very cool.  
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/14 at 8:22pm

The Scottish Games League (SGL) will hold a league series in each of twelve regions across the country during the 2015 inaugural season:  the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, South, Great Lakes, Midwest, Heartland, TACS, Southwest, West, Idaho/Utah, and Pacific Northwest.

Each region will have a schedule of eight games that will be counted in the region’s league series for the classes contested: Men’s Amateur, Men’s Masters, and Women’s Open.

The three champions from each region will be invited to the SGL Inter-Regional Championship to be held in the first half of 2016.

The schedules for each region will be published as they are finalized, and no later than the 31st of January.

Check out the SGL FAQs for more information:  scottishgamesleague.com/faqs

Stay tuned for more information!

Note: The regional boundaries may be adjusted as the schedules are finalized.

Edited by phatmiked - 12/28/14 at 9:58pm
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:02pm
This looks awesome. 
Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:21pm
If a mens masters class why not a womens masters class??? There are numbers!( yes full disclosure I have a vested interest..ie; my wife)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

If a mens masters class why not a womens masters class??? There are numbers!( yes full disclosure I have a vested interest..ie; my wife)

I'm sure my wife would agree
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:47pm
Dan, you're not the first to ask about other classes.
In our inaugural year we have chosen three classes that enjoy wide support from the Highland games community as a whole.

Unfortunately, at this time, not all regions have every class offered at every games.
As we grow and are able to support the inclusion of more classes in the league series, we will expand based on availability of games that offer the desired expansion classes, and take into consideration the preferences of the Highland Games community as a whole.
We are focused on promoting the Highland Games community as a whole and will work towards that end in the best manner possible.
We truly appreciate the support we've received so far, and hope that we can count on the community's support as we work on its behalf.

Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/14 at 9:52pm
Good stuff!  Excited to see how this all unfolds and grows.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/14 at 12:24pm
Very interesting...
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/14 at 2:24pm
Dan and Glen, honestly I also got my ire up a bit when the Women's Masters class was omitted in the first year. But what Michael says makes sense. I imagine many things will be cleared up after a full first season and whether or not I choose to co-chair here in the Midwest, I agree it makes sense not to start out too large. 

Also, in my opinion, we're incredibly spoiled here in the Midwest and even to an extent in the Great Lakes regions because Master's Women classes are available at nearly every Games. This may not be the case across the board and we need to keep that in mind. 

jp
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/01/15 at 9:08pm
So what is this, exactly?  Why is it good? What benefits does it provide local festivals and games?  Why would there be a need for a league and regions?  What would this means for games/festivals/AD's who aren't interested in this? Does this now just add 12 more 'championships'?  Pros? Ams? Pro/Ams?  There's quite a bit here that needs to be put out so people know exactly what this is all about.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/15 at 8:15am
Great questions.  I'll respond later when I have a chance.

Edited by phatmiked - 1/02/15 at 10:48am
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/15 at 10:45am
In the meantime, some of the questions are addressed in the "About the SGL" and FAQs sections on the SGL site:  scottishgamesleague.com
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/02/15 at 1:04pm
Thanks Mike! Staying tuned--and objective.
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/15 at 1:54pm
If nothing else, this will usher in more people to compete in our sport. If this was around when I was still an amateur, I would have LOVED this. The chance to gain points and win your region, much like a points system in racing or golf? I'd have been all over it. An influx or steady flow of new, and more, people in our sport helps festivals drive numbers at their gates. 
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/15 at 6:56pm
Agree with Mckim. This is awesome. I know a lot of guys in our region are fired up about it. I think it is great for the sport. Get to win and rep your region is great. Nice work Mike.
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/15 at 6:59pm
^^ +1.

I don't see a downside to this at all. There's no additional cost to a game or athlete, win-win imo.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/15 at 7:38pm
Thanks for the "endorsements" fellas.

Let me just throw this out there:  I am only one of the people working on this.  Right now the officers of the SGL "Headquarters" are me, BJ Ketchem, Holly Dickens, and Eric White.  We expect the board to expand by a couple of people in the near future.

And, most importantly, each region has Regional Chairs, anywhere from 2-4 at this point, who are working in their regions to identify games for their respective schedules, engaging ADs and festivals, providing information to athletes, tracking points, and working on developing prize packages, like we did in Texas this past year.

The RCs will be posted on the new site when it is launched on the 15th.  And, we are working to have all the regions' schedules ready to be published by the 31st so athletes can take them into consideration when planning their 2015 seasons.

cabertosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabertosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/15 at 10:26am
First off I think this is a great idea.It adds one more fun element to the games for me.
Question.I live in the Midwest region but compete in most of the other regions too. Could I win more then one region?
You f**ked up - you trusted us! Hey, make the best of it!
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/15 at 8:53pm
The points accrue in the region where the games take place, not necessarily where the athlete lives.  Athletes can earn points in multiple regions.  So, in theory, an athlete could win two separate regions.

This is due to the "passive entry" model we have now where all the athlete needs to do is register as they normally would for a games, show up and throw.  Their points will automatically be included in the rankings for the region where the game takes place.

Again, in theory, an athlete could win two, or more, regions.  This would take an incredible amount of travel and luck on their behalf.  If this turns out to undermine the nature of the league model, we will make appropriate adjustments.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/15 at 8:54pm
The 2015 SGL Southeast Region is posted:

SGL 2015 Southeast Region Schedule
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/15 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

The points accrue in the region where the games take place, not necessarily where the athlete lives.  Athletes can earn points in multiple regions.  So, in theory, an athlete could win two separate regions.

This is due to the "passive entry" model we have now where all the athlete needs to do is register as they normally would for a games, show up and throw.  Their points will automatically be included in the rankings for the region where the game takes place.

Again, in theory, an athlete could win two, or more, regions.  This would take an incredible amount of travel and luck on their behalf.  If this turns out to undermine the nature of the league model, we will make appropriate adjustments.

If someone travels and accrues enough points, then they deserve to win multiple regions imo.  I can't imagine a scenario where anyone would want to win a region by default, just because someone also won another region.  
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/15 at 9:43pm
I agree. 

I think it's highly unlikely.  But, it is possible. 
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/04/15 at 9:47pm
Theoretically (and I repeat Theoretically) from AD/Festival point of view, the only down side I can see is when two games are on the same date but in different regions and draw from the same pool of throwers.  If this idea takes off, then the regional point system may cause throwers to pick and choose games based on region rather than individual events.

Edited by McSanta - 1/04/15 at 10:39pm
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Mike Beech View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/15 at 9:12am
Originally posted by McSanta McSanta wrote:

Theoretically (and I repeat Theoretically) from AD/Festival point of view, the only down side I can see is when two games are on the same date but in different regions and draw from the same pool of throwers.  If this idea takes off, then the regional point system may cause throwers to pick and choose games based on region rather than individual events.

That is a totally valid concern. Thankfully,  the Regional Co-Chairs are working in concert to make sure this happens as little as possible. I know the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic have a lot of instances where this could occur.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/15 at 9:27am
So it's kinda like the same decisions athletes have to make anyway.

The man in the arena.
getyoukilt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getyoukilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/15 at 10:46am
Gas is down below two bucks. Bring it on Rob !
"     " - Harpo Marx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic