FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

MWC 2015 Entry is now limited.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MWC 2015 Entry is now limited.
    Posted: 2/18/15 at 2:27am
Hey-

We'll start closing down registration for MWC 2015 St.Louis now (with the only exception being the Men's divisions for 60+).

136 men are registered for the Competition Start List, plus 20 men are on the Standby List.

Women's divisions are all now closed. 45 women are registered to start.

All athletes on the Standby List will get the first openings, when available, in the Competition Start List for the Men 40-44 and Men 45-49 divisions. 

-K

K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/15 at 2:53am
Hey-

I had to start closing down the online registration for the MWC 2015 St. Louis. We have around 200 athletes on the Competition Start List, plus 20 more on Standby List now. 

The interest in the event is overwhelming and there are still more entries pending in the queue, but with these kinds of numbers we'll close the early registration and sort out the details.

I'll keep you all posted on any changes in the registration or plans.

-K
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/15 at 7:31pm
AMAZING!  Clap
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/15 at 9:00pm
MWC is a victim of its own success.  Thumbs Up
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 6:43am
Mike-

Each year we discuss and debate the concept of a qualifier or a qualified competition and with these kinds numbers of entries, we may be forced to get serious about it. This is the second straight year that we've had a Standby List within the first week of taking entries, for example.

I'll say that everyone has a different opinion on how to do it and what the impacts will be but my Ranking Number based on the previous MWC throws is the most direct metric of MWC performance in summary. I may post those Ranking Numbers on the Start List to show what use of a Ranking might do to the entry process.

Thanks for your support,

-K 

K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 7:05am
For example -

Only 11 guys have overall MWC Ranking points greater than 7,000.

Kerry Overfelt,  7,930
Braidy Miller, 7,909
Michael Dickens,7,776
Gene Flynn, 7,681
Mark Wechter, 7,614
Dirk Bishop,  7,431
Berle Conrad, 7,288
Brent Miller, 7,180
Myles Wetzel,  7,136
Mike Baab, 7,045 and 
Brent Abbott 7,029.

These would be our Top Ranked athletes from all previous MWC based on 9 events.

-K
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 7:56am
I really thought there would be a qualifier this year but kind of thought maybe the rush last year was because it was in Scotland. Obviously it was because you guys do such an awesome job with running the games.
I was wondering how you could do a qualifier? You have NASGA for us in the US and Canada and as you said the scores from previous MWC's but what about the athletes over seas that have never competed in a MWC?
In my opinion anyone who was serious about going would have been up at 12:00 waiting for the entry to open like I was.
There are haters on Facebook that have mentioned that it's not a legit world championship because first come first serve but I think even with a qualifier your top 10 or 15 in each class would be pretty much the same.
Your doing  great job Kevin, keep it up!
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 8:11am
Originally posted by wsciscoe wsciscoe wrote:

I really thought there would be a qualifier this year but kind of thought maybe the rush last year was because it was in Scotland. Obviously it was because you guys do such an awesome job with running the games.
I was wondering how you could do a qualifier? You have NASGA for us in the US and Canada and as you said the scores from previous MWC's but what about the athletes over seas that have never competed in a MWC?
In my opinion anyone who was serious about going would have been up at 12:00 waiting for the entry to open like I was.
There are haters on Facebook that have mentioned that it's not a legit world championship because first come first serve but I think even with a qualifier your top 10 or 15 in each class would be pretty much the same.
Your doing  great job Kevin, keep it up!

1) look up the term Hater before using it. No one hates Kevin or the WMC.
2) It being pretty much the same is BS. Now the top 15 may not rush to join immediately, but if they want to come they will join.  
3) For more legitimacy YES there needs to be a qualifying standard. It has grown to the point its needed AND if its truly going to be a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS then you need to have some qualifying measure to be able to throw in it.

And before anyone bitches at me about this post, I have supported the MWC since the beginning including judging the 40-44 and the 45-49 Divisions at the very first one in Ft. Smith.  And had qualifying # been needed this year I wouldn't have qualified period. So I am not "hating" on anyone.
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 8:31am
Glenn-

Remember that the MWC Returning Champions are still getting in and so the Start List is not even Final ... and yet some people are saying something about us not being legit. Well, I've heard it before and we'll never satisfy some of our critics. We're as legit as we are ever gonna be.

We're trying to bring together the best Masters athletes and we've traveled around the US, Canada and Scotland to do that. Some host locations are more popular or accessible than others and this year's locations is both popular and accessible for many. In addition, the US Midwest is still the region of the world that is home to the most number of Masters athletes who travel and compete at MWC. So, we are simply in the sweet spot for large numbers and a big turnout.    

So far, we have always found a place for every MWC Returning Champion on the field. That's my answer to the critics about the quality of the competition.

See ya soon,

-K

wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 8:33am
As I said, I thought there would be a qualifier this year. But , HOW DO YOU DO IT?
"Hater" That may be too strong of a word but I do believe there are a small group that do not like Kevin and will bash at him and mwc any chance they get.
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 8:40am
Glenn-

I'll bring a bottle of mead to the Shamrock Games next month and we'll raise a toast to the haters.

-K
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 8:41am
Originally posted by K Rogers K Rogers wrote:

Some host locations are more popular or accessible than others and this year's locations is both popular and accessible for many.

Yes, I agree and if I understand correctly we have a huge field this year.

I believe it's going to be a great one.

wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 8:42am
sounds great! See you at the shammies

Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 9:00am
Show me the list of the great throwers that were not able to get into the game?

Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

Show me the list of the great throwers that were not able to get into the game?

If that is the case, then it is not first-some, first-served. It cannot be both first-come and guarantee that the best throwers get in, unless a certain # of spots are reserved for the top throwers. If spots are reserved, that eliminates most of the bitching I've read. I've made that same criticism myself, with the caveat that reserving spots for the best throwers, and then letting the rest of us sign up would guarantee the legitimacy, and yet let some of us throw just for the "experience". 

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:26am
They let a bizillion guys throw, who are all these great guys not getting to toss there, list them.  Let us see the list of names and lets look at why they did not throw there.  Must be a bunch to even bring it up.  Come on, give us some of them even if you don't want to divulge the entire massive list.  Never and I mean never have I heard of some top thrower not getting in there to toss, IF HE WANTED TO?  But here is the chance, give us those guys that were kept out.  If you can't, then blow all the hot air at the back of my house, my toilet froze last night.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
agm_ View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:34am
How about a two-stage process? Invite the top throwers, give them a few weeks to respond, then open the registration to everyone else?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:45am
Sheesh... old man games are serious business.

Is the bitch really that the age class championships aren't fair?  looooooooooooool if so.   
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:55am
Hey-

The only spots reserved are for Returning Champions of MWC. That's how we've always done it.

Champions always get in at MWC and several of them are still meandering into the entry even today, but the questions of legitimacy will continue. I disagree of course and am not convinced that it is at issue, but I could be wrong.

I see no end in sight to the criticism. If we start at 40 years old, then people complain that we should start at 50. If we have 9 events, people complain that its too many and we should have only 5. If we throw the sheaf, then people complain that its not fair. If we use the 56 or the 42 or the 28 or the 21, then people will complain that its not the right weight. If we allow the spin in the WOB, then people complain that its not traditional. If we use vector line for the throwing sector, then people complain that its not the way we do it at home. If we only allow the 10 top throwers in the World, then the method for determining who those 10 people are would be criticized be for leaving out something or another. If we allow everyone to throw, we are criticized for not blocking some throwers from participation. If we gave away pie, some people would still complain.

So, we have a tradition - we allow every MWC Returning Champion to feel welcome and appreciated by keeping the door open for them at the entry.  If we are persuaded to make more changes in the future, then I can only expect more complaints and griping. Until then, we'll go with this design and endure the wrath of the unclean.

-K     
cabertosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabertosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:41am
Wait a minute. We're gonna have pie? Wooohoooo! My opinion is the best person on the day wins. That goes for any championship.
You f**ked up - you trusted us! Hey, make the best of it!
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 12:07pm
Holy shit. Are there people who just live to stir shit and bitch about how other people run things? Facebook bitching? Please. How weak-assed is that? I'm willing to bet a year's pay that I know who is doing the lion share of it.

Now, where are the people in the top 15 in each class that didn't sign up and get in? If it's important to you, you'll figures out how to use the internet enough to get signed in on time. Qualifier? How about the previous MWC. Or better yet, how about instead of bitching to your mo-bros on FB, you actually sign up to WORK on the MWC. If the shoe doesn't fit you on this, then no need to get butthurt. If the shoe does fit, then feel free to reach down and lace that bitch up. Damn. Just shut up and throw.
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 1:01pm
What kind of pie?
Jim Dougherty

Ned Pepper: I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.

Rooster Cogburn: Fill your hands, you son of a bitch.
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 1:03pm
I judge myself on where I am on NASGA at the end of the season. I broke into the top 100 last year. Hot damn.   
Jim Dougherty

K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 1:06pm
Hey-

This is only the second time we've ever had a Standby List to get in MWC. The first was last year MWC2014 in Scotland and this MWC2015 is just the first time in the states. So, the big unruly crowds at the gates have not been a long enduring problem in any way that I'm aware. The issue may be ripe for discussion, but if we make any changes to the entry process it would be for the MWC in 2016. 

We are 5 of the last 6 annual MWCs with over 100 athletes in the competition each year, ... in 3 different countries, I might add with emphasis. That's a pretty strong attempt at legitimacy in my mind. Its not like we're hiding from anyone. We've opened the door to the best throwers in the world to participate from coast to coast for over a decade and we've even traveled to new locations to meet them halfway. That's legit, right?  

Also, I've got the scores from many individual performances at MWCs compiled and presented in the form of a Records page on the website so people can compare our MWC performances with the best recorded throws from anywhere in the world in an attempt to show that some of our athletes deserve to be called Champions. That's legit, right? 

I'm sorry people question our legitimacy, but don't believe they are seeing the same foundation for the sport that I see. 

-K

wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 1:51pm
coconut cream I hope
or pumpkin would be okay too

Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 2:00pm
Kevin, don't waste your time explaining. It is what it is. Like it, or hate it , or go start your own MWC. I choose to love it. You are doing a great job. I hope to participate next year and shake your hand. --Jimn
Jim Dougherty

wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Moosie Moosie wrote:

I judge myself on where I am on NASGA at the end of the season.

Same here Jim my biggest goal is to set new PRs and move up the ranks on NASGA.
I want to do well at the MWC and have a great time with great guys. That's all!
God willing I won't get hurt or have a big life event that makes me have to withdraw like last year.
Moosie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 2:17pm
That's the ticket Glen. Good luck this year.   
Jim Dougherty

wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 2:32pm
Thanks

KTDupuis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KTDupuis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/15 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Moosie Moosie wrote:

...or go start your own MWC.

Nooooo!!!!!! Please, not that. Anything but that! Confused

Kevin and team are doing a great job. As the popularity of this game grows, aspects of the game itself may have to evolve. As a few have stated, the need for waiting lists is a pretty new "problem" for MWC. (if you can call overpopularity a problem). If SMAI implements a different selection critiera in the future, I am sure it will be vetted out properly, and in the best interest of the MWC and the participants.

Good luck to all who are going.

"I have a right to my opinion, and my opinion is that you have no right to your opinion" - G. Carlin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic