FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Thanks guys for all the advice ...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thanks guys for all the advice ...
    Posted: 2/21/15 at 11:06am
Hey-

Thanks to everyone for offering advice on here and through the email, facebook and text messages and phone calls and whatever about how to organize and operate the MWC, but please stop. Its just not as helpful as you might think. We cannot recreate the event nor should we overhaul it to accommodate any one special group of athletes, except for our MWC Champions.

We hold a special place of honor for our MWC Champions. That's how we do it. Short and simple - they get in - everyone else is simply a challenger and on equal footing. Champions and Challengers ... that's the way I see it. When you win at the MWC, you earn a privilege to future events.

I am clearly aware that I am surrounded by experts with more experience and knowledge than I have and that what we're doing with the MWC is flawed and that some people don't even consider what we do to be a true World Championship, but we're not going to do most of what has been suggested even by the most decorated athletes. The number of reasons why not to do some of these suggestions are too numerous to detail and nobody would read or listen to the explanation even if I did elaborate.

We have a model that has grown and evolved to the point that it attracts hundreds of athletes to anxiously enter and fill the roster in a few days time. We always honor Returning Champions by allowing them an open door at the entry and we've been able to get every one of them who expressed an interest into the competitions. MWC Returning Champions are the only ones who automatically get in because we work to save a place and to honor them.

Apparently there are a million ways to make our program better, but for now we have an admittedly low bar for entry. Our open-door policy has many problems and issues, but a change in that policy will only bring different problems and issues and so we choose to live with this particular set of problems.  

The changes we make in the future will be small and the course corrections will be minor. Please consider that I am bound by an agreement with my partner Bill Scruggs to keep an open door and to honor our Champions. It does NOT make it easier to do and it doesn't make me a blockhead for ignoring all the easier ways to organize this thing; but this is our way for the now.  

So, thanks for all the helpful ideas and constructive suggestions but our current deliberate course of action is based on our founding members ideas and wishes. I'm not convinced that we need to do any major redesign.

Again, that's for all your thoughts and ideas.

-K

Edited by K Rogers - 2/21/15 at 11:54am
Eric Snow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/21/15 at 11:36am
Kevin,

Thanks for what you do. 
You & your team provide an opportunity for senior sportsmen to compete & bring some athletic life to many of us. Personally, I've had two friends, who were about my age, die of heart attacks in the last three weeks. Both did not take care of themselves physically. 

I have a reason to train to try & beat Myles & the others come September. I am looking forward to it.

-Eric
Snowman
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/21/15 at 11:42am
I think some people aren't recognizing what the MWC really is.  Perspective, folks.    

The success speaks for itself, imo.  
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/15 at 1:07pm
^^ This
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic