FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Let's get serious for a minute ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's get serious for a minute ...
    Posted: 2/24/15 at 7:49pm
Hey-

If I find out that some women file an actual lawsuit against me over my decision to use the 28 instead of the 21, then I will shut down all the work that I have been doing for the Scottish Masters Athletics and the MWC.

I will give all the cash to the attorney and walk away from this nonsense.

There is no way that I'm working to host an event when some of the participants are plotting to bring legal action against me for my decisions as AD.

I will turn the lights off before I go and you can find yourself a new mule.

-K
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 8:04pm
Hey-

If you don't want to throw the weights in our contest, then please don't sign up. If you do decide to sign up, then don't bitch about the weights.

-K
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 8:50pm
If attorneys show up, just remember the sheaf toss was originally called the attorney toss.

Get a grip folks. Leaving a Baby Ruth in the swimming pool is a way to make sure nobody gets to swim.

Its not like you're going to get a sneaker commercial and be on Dancing with the Stars if you toss one versus another weight.

Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 8:52pm
Holy CRAP Kevin.   Cant believe your going through this.  Broad shoulders man.
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Hoss44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hoss44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 9:01pm
You know I am just an unknown. I lurk around NASGA, HASA, Ancient Athletics and a few other places without saying much...but I think that I will speak my peace and then move on.

I came to this sport back in 2003 at a now defunct games called the Arcadia Valley Highland Games in MO. Like a lot of others, I threw shot and discus in school and was totally mesmerized by the events I saw. I walked up just to ask what this was and how I could find out more info...next thing I know - I am competing Novice class. I miss those games under the pine trees at that state park, but what really stuck with me that day was the camaraderie, and the willingness to help me improve...even though it meant that I beat a few guys that helped me. I saw Craig Smith and Chad Braden throw A's that day and was in awe. They both helped me with my footwork on the HWFD and I felt like I had just got boxing lessons from Ali!

I also met a Master competitor named Dean Ross that is still a very good friend to this day. He has been one of my biggest supporters and encouragers over the years and look forward to hearing him yell out "Your blocking yourself" or "You pulled to late, you'll get it next time."

The Buffalo Scottish Games was my next games. I met Kevin Rogers & Merl Lawless here. They were both great ambassadors of the sport. Excited, energetic and great teachers. I took my first 1st place at that games, but what I truly remember is the time Kevin & Merl took with a new competitor and the love of the sport they instilled in me. I doubt they have ever known until now the impact they had, as a matter of fact they may not remember me at all (we have only talked a few times). There are many others that have helped and supported me and that I look forward to seeing each and every summer. I am never going to be a paid athlete, but I will do everything in my power to pass on what so many others have given me. Encouragement and sense of belonging.

The point is ....this sport is about people. The more I have read this week, the more I see that some on this forum have forgotten this. We should be supporting each other, not pulling each other down. Each of you and your actions has an impact on this sport...good or bad! Why someone would sign up and pay just to bitch is beyond me. There are hundreds of games now. Go find a different one if you don't like the rules. But don't bring down the sport and attack those who put in their time and effort to build it up. AD your own games and make your own rules.

The MWC must be doing something right, I can remember when there were not even 105 Masters...let alone 105 signed up for one game before noon!
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing.
- 13th Warrior
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 9:07pm
I don't even know what to say about this. 

Kevin, man, I sure hope to see you in St. Louis in September and get to take part in one of the best Highland Games Events on the planet, again.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 9:24pm
Holy FFFFF.

Please speak up if you are one of these women even considering a lawsuit so I can ban you from this board, and pass that information along to every AD I have a relationship with. No one needs that, and I wish bad things for you people.

Please let me know if there's anything I can help with, Kevin.
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 9:37pm
Thanks Craig-

Well, I guess the honeymoon is over when she's talking to the attorney.

I will shut the lights off on the entire program and turn my back on every one of them.

I'm not going to spend my free time with such people. They bring no joy to my life.

-K
turbo2themax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo2themax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 9:43pm
I have been a part of the discussions of changing the #28 weight to #21, and not once was a lawsuit even mentioned, only discrimination in reference of men getting the #42 at 40-44.

When I asked Kevin how the weights was changed in 2014 for the W45-49, his reply was "they started new", but in he felt the weight was not heavy for 40-44 because it would diminish the world records set. However somehow it doesnt if you are over 45. 

The Master Women overwhelming believe the #21 is the FAIR weight for 40+.

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Holy FFFFF.

Please speak up if you are one of these women even considering a lawsuit so I can ban you from this board, and pass that information along to every AD I have a relationship with. No one needs that, and I wish bad things for you people.

Please let me know if there's anything I can help with, Kevin.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS 

really find this so bizzare if someone sues...were a friggin fringe sport....dont like the rules..dont play...few games i dont like how there run,Ad,etc///you know what i dont go back....come on people please tell me this is not happening!
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 9:49pm
Hey-

If you don't want to throw the weights in our contest, then please don't sign up.

If you do decide to sign up, then don't bitch about the weights.

If you are party to a lawsuit over this issue, I'll make it a mission to keep you out of any future MWC.

-K

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo2themax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 9:58pm
The only person that has ever mentioned lawsuit is Kevin. 

If something is UNFAIR, it can only be resolved by change. If everything stayed the same as the first games ever put on....there would not be a masters class for men or women. Last year the womens 45-49 changed to the #21, and there was a lot of discussions before that happened. There are a lot of areas the only provide the #21 for womens masters now. Those that wish to throw the 28 can do so in the open class. We are hoping to standardize the womens masters to 21 for 40. 
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:00pm
Participating in the highland games is a privilege, not a right. Therefor, discrimination is a mute point.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:04pm
Hey-

You can standardize the weights where ever you'd like to, but I do not abide by your decision.

And if you think threatening me with a lawsuit is the right way to convince me to change my mind, then you are wrong. 

If you don't want to throw the weights in our contest, then please don't sign up. If you want to argue over the weights, then please let me know soon ... I'd like to take your name off the list.

-K

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo2themax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:08pm
Do you mean women 40-44 should throw open heavy weights while men 40-44 throw the reduced 42, and no one should ever try to make the games better? I thought the reason we have rules and regulations is so that it is fair for everyone? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo2themax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:12pm
NO ONE has threatened a lawsuit....you just keep saying that. I have only seen you being accused of discrimination because the men 40-44 get a reduced weight but women 40-44 do not. However it was fine last year to start the 45-49 women  with the reduced weight.
MotherForker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MotherForker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:14pm
I have an idea... How about ALL masters men and women alike throw the 42lb then it is fair Wink
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:17pm
No-

That's not it at all.

There's been many words spoken here and on facebook and I'm gonna assume that you are a party to much of it or you would not be here at this moment. So, I will summarize ...

No, I'm not convinced. If you want to keep up the debate, I'm not interested any longer.

Now the decision is yours, if you want to throw at the MWC then decide if you can do it without bitching.

Because if I hear women bitching at me during the MWC weekend, then it will be the last time that I let you in and it will be my mission to block your participation in any future MWC.

-K
adambrezina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambrezina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:27pm
Kenny-
   You are a good man, I wouldve already taken her off a list.  Nicer man than I am
Skinny guy trying to get big

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo2themax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:28pm
I have never heard anyone complain at MWC game...that has nothing to do with efforts to try to make this game even better by making is more FAIR. Discussions happened last year too, and it resulted in the change to the #21 for 45-49. 

I agree that some of the discussions deteriorated and personal remarks were made that were unprofessional and  unproductive on both sides, which is unfortunate. You are the AD and will make the final decision. I just hope you are able to be objective as you were last year when you changing the weight for the women 45-49.
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 10:47pm
Hey-

I have been called many things and accused of many things ... and some of them are not true.

But please don't follow any person who is trying to convince you there is some type of discrimination ... because its not happening. Their theory is flawed. Don't follow them because they are wrong.

Try to enjoy the idea of a women's tradition established by a Champion and Hall of Famer.

She threw the damn thing over 38' and impressed all the biggest men in the World.

It was cool back in 2003, show a little respect. She was first and its a record.

-K

rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 11:37pm
This makes me LOL. Not funny LOL, but this is some of the dumbest sh!t I've heard LOL. Talk about ruining the "FUN" for everyone else. I only say "FUN" because that is what this is supposed to be. Just show up, meet some new people, see some old friends, drink, smoke, get naked (if that's what you're into), and if there is time maybe go throw some stuff around a field for a few hours. What is there to complain about?!?!?!?!
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/15 at 11:41pm
Yeah-

You might be surprised ... the complaint list is longer than you would believe.

But don't let it get you down,

-K
Stahmixson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stahmixson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/15 at 2:53am
Ever been to Scotland ? They throw ridiculous stones, weights without chains or even longer, rules where you can not move your legs at all, and so on. Even here in the Netherlands we throw stuff that is different. But whatever...it is FUN, and it is theirs and ours games, and eveybody throw the same implements at each games. That is simply the charm of our games. We also don't keep any records of cabertoss, haven't we ? It is about the same for me. Don't wanna throw ? Don't show up ! Kevin has been a great AD for several years, and it will be impossible to please each and everyone.
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/15 at 5:13am
Don't let all of this drag you down Kevin.  Although I have not made it to a MWC yet, I truly appreciate the work that you and the MWC crew do to provide a premium venue.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
littleone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote littleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/15 at 9:02am
Are you kidding me? SERIOUSLY???

For everything that the ladies in the past have fought for to even have a place to throw and someone is going to pull this card???  Wow ya'll. Now I remember why I stopped being AD, but it wasnt because of the athletes..it was politics pure and simple.

I learned to throw with what we had... and glad that to have the support of those around me to keep going. I am a little person in size, but i dug in and went.
I remember on this very board the conversations if women should or shouldnt throw because, at that time,  Women couldnt throw in Scotland it wasnt traditional....why should we let them throw here?
Wth!??  Guess what ya'll, I remember when the MWC went to Scotland and the ladies went and they THREW in Scotland!! REMARKABLE!! Now THAT is change! Wonder how many ladies in Scotland took up throwing after that?

But, because you cant throw a weight 7# lighter your gonna make the ladies look like whiners? Loosing face here ladies.

You dont like it, dont go. Pretty simple. Find another sport because from what I have read here, you (personally) may not be welcome in very many places.
Kevin has been around doing this since before some of you ladies even knew what the heck this stuff was, lighten up would ya? There is a time and a place and a positive way to change things.

oh, and to keep this fair....dudes if you havent been apart of this sport for very long, and other than reading this stuff that has to do with the ladies.....dont share in these conversations. Its not about you or effecting your part of the field and adds negative fuel to the fire.
The ones who need to be talking about this need to be saying their peace on it.

With that, this retired old lady is going to go back into that....Being retired.

Sister Badger

"Lead, Follow or get the Hell outta my way!"
Bill Boyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/15 at 9:32am

You gotta laugh or built a bomb. One of the two.

I'd love to totally eliminate hammer shoes. They are the powerlifting shirts of the Heavy Events, but I know good and well, I'd be fighting a bunch of mofos if I really pursued that.
Gerry Reynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerry Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/15 at 1:17pm

I have said elsewhere that it is wrong to try to blame Kevin alone for the #28 continuing at MWC2014- this time for the 40-44 class; and there are a few things that need sharing. 

First of all, as AD of MWC2014; it is a matter of record that I was 100% in support of the decision to maintain the tradition established in 2003 and so was my Committee. 

Can I also remind folk that ultimately it was our HOST GAMES decision as to what was going to happen on our field. 

Last year - there was no sheaf and no spinning weight over the bar - (they remain the evil work of the Devil as everyone who is not going to hell knows) and it was ONLY thanks to Kevin's personal intervention and powers of persuasion that the 45-49 class using the #21 was introduced at MWC2014 at all. 

Not many people know that Kevin had a real hard time persuading us to rip up our schedule; scrap a whole pile of printed material, re-record our radio adverts, purchase an additional 3 trophies and 24 medals; and bus in and accommodate 2 extra judges just to reduce the number of women throwing #28.

Bottom line - we are asking trained Heavies who can carry substantially more in either hand while Christmas Shopping to throw an extra 7lb three times. 

Oh the horror! Oh the evilness! 

If that is all you have to complain about I can live with it. 

What you should be discussing is how you can HELP Kevin and HELP the volunteer Host Highland Games Committees ensure the MWC events survive.  

DarrylCampbell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylCampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/15 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Gerry Reynolds Gerry Reynolds wrote:

Last year - there was no sheaf and no spinning weight over the bar - (they remain the evil work of the Devil as everyone who is not going to hell knows) and it was ONLY thanks to Kevin's personal intervention and powers of persuasion that the 45-49 class using the #21 was introduced at MWC2014 at all. 

What about spinning sheaf? :D
Darryl Campbell
Gerry Reynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/15 at 4:17pm
Censored

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic