Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Dizziness and Spinning, WFD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dizziness and Spinning, WFD
    Posted: 4/29/15 at 11:25am
Hi folks.

Some of you already know I've been pretty beaten up over the years which included a severe neck injury and a two concussions (one of which was a category III).     

I've been throwing the hammer, practicing my glide shot-put, and WFH. All of which I can do without any difficulty.

The issue I have is the spinning required for the WFD. I can do one full rotation and get the weight launched without any difficulty whatsoever. Doesn't bother me one bit.

But I have a hard time completing more than one (as in two) rotation. The issue is not the weight. I get dizzy. I may be sensitive to the motion after the head injuries. Talked to my family physician and he says just don't do more than one. He has no problem with me competing, actually used to be the physician for a world class HGer who competed at Bethlehem.

How many people show up at the master level and do one rotation?

Thanks,

Chris

Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/15 at 12:05pm
One spin is totally fine.  
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/15 at 2:41pm
A one spin (or hop & pop) in the WFD is a lot like a stand throw in the stone. Most mid-level folks only get 10-15% more out of a full throw. Top level throwers get a bigger differential, and beginning throwers get less (sometimes a LOT less).
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/29/15 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Borges Borges wrote:

A one spin (or hop & pop) in the WFD is a lot like a stand throw in the stone. Most mid-level folks only get 10-15% more out of a full throw. Top level throwers get a bigger differential, and beginning throwers get less (sometimes a LOT less).

Thanks.

The one rotation hop-n-pop it is.

Hop-n-pop. Just call me the dough-boy from Pillsbury.
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 8:59am
Dude take it from me just enjoy being able to throw. 1 spin or not.  If that is all you can do, then do it.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 9:24am
You do what you can.  I can't look up really due to the heart and circulation.  Just sitting in a chair and looking up is hard for me, much less w the hammer.  My feet and legs are numb, again same issue, it is hard to feel anything with them.  You just do the best you can.  If you laugh and have fun, you won.  The question is, do you enjoy throwing?  If yes, then play though regardless and enjoy your friends.  Not all those golfers out there are great, yet the guys still have fun on the course with their buddies.  We are the same.  Kind of
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Silverback Silverback wrote:

You do what you can.  I can't look up really due to the heart and circulation.  Just sitting in a chair and looking up is hard for me, much less w the hammer.  My feet and legs are numb, again same issue, it is hard to feel anything with them.  You just do the best you can.  If you laugh and have fun, you won.  The question is, do you enjoy throwing?  If yes, then play though regardless and enjoy your friends.  Not all those golfers out there are great, yet the guys still have fun on the course with their buddies.  We are the same.  Kind of

I feel so much better now that I'm in the gym 4-5 days per week. I'm tired each night but its a good tired. Best I've felt in years.

Looking forward to my first HG in MD on May 9th.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic