Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Cannonball style weights for distance.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deakion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannonball style weights for distance.
    Posted: 4/30/15 at 1:52pm
We broke a 42lb weight for distance at the Thistle last weekend, I'm unsure were to get another one.

The weight is a cannon ball style, with chain and D handle 42lbs.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Irvin

And they shall know no fear.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:28pm
Steel. Or lead encased in steel?

1st choice..Mike Landrich( get in touch with him here or book of faces,mike landrich power systems) 1st class service,will work with you and personalize the weight
2 nd choice Bobby Dodd ( mjlonir..) don't know if he's still making steel weights but cadilac of steel weights..have had his ball #14 for 18 years and has been used in over 150 games.
3 rd choice..merl lawless( don't know if he still makes them..lead in steel encasing) have a42 for 15 years that I still use and had a 56( which I gave to Duncan M)
Hope that helps
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Deakion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deakion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 2:34pm
Its lead encased steel.
Jonathan Irvin

DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 3:49pm
B Dodd # 1
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 4:43pm
Those were cool weights too.  Time to call up Mike L and invest in his kind. I don't know if Bobby D is making them anymore.  If he is its the cannonball shape with D handles
Deakion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deakion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 6:30pm
Anyone have Bobby's info ?
Jonathan Irvin

Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/30/15 at 6:34pm
I am pretty sure he's not making them any more, could be wrong though...

Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
getyoukilt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getyoukilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/15 at 5:26am
VSA athletics has a 40# T&F weight that can be topped off with lead to bring the weight up. I have 4 of this type ( think they come from India) I had to replace the bearings with a solid bushing, $10 fix and spins on the chain just fine. Weight is about $150.

Amber sports in Katy TX, same as above. May give you a deal since he said they were dropping them.

A cheaper option is get an 80 pound dumbbell and cut it in half. Add ring and chain, weight comes out good and you get a spare.

The company that makes the "Dominator" brand indoor weight will make you one tungsten and lead, but they are expensive.

Someone with the Buffallo Heavies group in NY makes them as well.

I sourced tungsten ball bearings up to 11" diameter in China, you don't want to know the price.

+1 on the Landrich , and you have to try his hybrid handles.
"     " - Harpo Marx
Swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/15 at 7:05am
I purchased my 42 WFD from Landrich and was very pleased. He will customize it for you and is very responsive. Quick turn around too! Highly recommended.
Deakion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deakion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/15 at 9:33am
I'm wanting to keep the cannonball look. So if I have to have one made that's what we will have to do. Do you know the name of the company that makes the "Dominator" weight? Getyoukilt ?
Jonathan Irvin

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/15 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Deakion Deakion wrote:

I'm wanting to keep the cannonball look. So if I have to have one made that's what we will have to do. Do you know the name of the company that makes the "Dominator" weight? Getyoukilt ?

Not surprisingly, it's Dominator Athletics. 

http://www.dominatorathletics.com
Kevin Becker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/15 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Deakion Deakion wrote:

www.dominatorathletics.com

Steve Bartholomew is the owner. He makes lots of custom stuff, and quality is top notch. I bought weights from him when I was still in the track and field world. Give him a call and let him know what you're looking for and he can probably make it. 
getyoukilt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getyoukilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/15 at 10:18am
The VSA and amber sports ones I mentioned are ball types. Just add molten lead. I know there are other T&F weights for sale that are round but price goes up quick.
I have 2 fifty something pound kettlebells that I am looking to turn into 42's . After cutting off the huge handles I think they might be ok. You might look for something like that. I will let you know how it turns out. They have been doorstops for 12 years, I might as well get some use.
"     " - Harpo Marx
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic