Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Pleasanton 150th

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pleasanton 150th
    Posted: 6/11/15 at 1:42am

Hafthor Coming to Pleasanton

by Randall J. Strossen, IronMind Enterprises, Inc. © 2015

Hafthor Julius Bjornsson destroyed the Keg Toss world record at the 2014 World’s Strongest Man contest—launching the kegs at a weapons-grade pace. Bjornsson will go head to head with Mike Zolkiewicz in the 56-lb. weight for height in Pleasanton, California as part of the Caledonian Club of San Francisco’s 150th Annual Games & Gathering. IronMind® | ©Randall J. Strossen photoHafthor Julius Bjornsson destroyed the Keg Toss world record at the 2014 World’s Strongest Man contest—launching the kegs at a weapons-grade pace. Bjornsson will go head to head with Mike Zolkiewicz in the 56-lb. weight for height in Pleasanton, California as part of the Caledonian Club of San Francisco’s 150th Annual Games & Gathering. IronMind® | ©Randall J. Strossen photo

Caledonian Club of San Francisco Athletic Director Steve Conway briefed IronMind breaking news for the upcoming 150th Annual Gathering and Games.

“There are some recent additions to the already exciting show that the Caledonian Club of San Francisco has planned for the upcoming 150th Annual Gathering and Games which will be held on Labor Day weekend in Pleasanton, California.

“First, Bill Anderson, one of the legends of Scottish Heavy Events, has agreed to attend as a guest of honor. Bill will be accompanied by his wife Frances. 

“Second, Hafthor Bjornsson ‘The Mountain’ from Game of Thrones fame, will attempt to break his own world record in the 56 lb. weight over bar. There will be a special weight over bar event on Sunday afternoon where Hafthor will challenge the pro line-up from the 2015 World Scottish Heavy Events Championships, which is also contested that weekend in Pleasanton. Among those athletes is Mike Zolkiewicz the world record holder in the traditional Scottish 56 lb. weight over bar (contested as part of an 8-event competition). 

“These two giants recently went head to head at the Arnold Sports Festival in March, and in that face off, Hafthor beat Mike, while setting a new world record of 19’ 3”. Mike’s best is 19’ 2”. This is going to be a contest of epic proportions!

“There is one other fact that should be noted, this will be the farewell appearance of our announcer and esteemed colleague David P. Webster, OBE. David has been a mainstay at these games for many years. In fact, David, along with Malcolm Ramsay, past Chieftain of the CCSF, were the people who were responsible for creating the U.S. Open Invitational Scottish Heavy Events Championships, 41 years ago, that was instrumental in bringing these games to a world stage. For this and many other reasons David has been chosen as the Honorary Games Chieftain for the celebration of the Sesquicentennial CCSF Gathering and Games,” said Conway.    

Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 8:49am
Entries are going out...everyone who was there last year will automatically get one, I've had a number of people contact me that want to receive an entry form, I think I've saved all the names BUT if you don't get one by the end of next week OR if you think you could qualify and want to be considered please contact me ASAP. For everyone, hotel rooms are going at a rapid rate, many hotels are booked already IF you think you'll make the list I'd strongly advise reserving a room (you can always cancel). Thanks, Steve Conway - shajudge@aol.com
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 9:05am
That WOB competition is skewed. Make Hafthor compete in the rest of the events too.
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 12:12pm
I agree with Sean. It's one thing to have an exhibition at The Arnold but during the Highland Games worlds make all the competitors do all the events over both days and see who is the best at the end.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 2:35pm
I disagree with the above two.

He's not a highland games athlete, and has still thrown the 56 higher than anyone. 

I'm quite sure Zolk is welcome to come out there just for the WOB if he wanted....and if he hated money.

Thor is a draw to the games for some, I'm sure, so no reason to change anything imo. 
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 5:17pm
It's a stand alone event and not part of the overall. The pro's can choose whether or not they want to be part of it, the overall is done by noon on Sunday. This will start at 3:30 and have a separate prize payout. So far I've had nothing but positive, excited responses but there's always a few...
jeffloosle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffloosle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/15 at 5:49pm
I would pay to watch it in person!

Now if you could get Shaw & Savickas too - well, dang!!!
Andy Vincent View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:44am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I disagree with the above two.

He's not a highland games athlete, and has still thrown the 56 higher than anyone.  

I'm quite sure Zolk is welcome to come out there just for the WOB if he wanted....and if he hated money.

Thor is a draw to the games for some, I'm sure, so no reason to change anything imo.  

Originally posted by Steve Conway Steve Conway wrote:

It's a stand alone event and not part of the overall. The pro's can choose whether or not they want to be part of it, the overall is done by noon on Sunday. This will start at 3:30 and have a separate prize payout. So far I've had nothing but positive, excited responses but there's always a few...

Exactly.  I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape over this.  Sounds like fun!
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/15 at 11:57am
Originally posted by JoelT39 JoelT39 wrote:

I agree with Sean. It's one thing to have an exhibition at The Arnold but during the Highland Games worlds make all the competitors do all the events over both days and see who is the best at the end.
It would be a distinction without a difference. He could simply take token attempts in the other events. So what?

I'm sure lots of us would love to see what Hafthor could do in the other events but that isn't what this is about. Steve is just doing something fun to add interest to the games, and he is doing it in a way that in no manner takes away from the main event. I applaud him for it.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic