FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

IHGF World Championships

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/15 at 8:00pm
Crowd looks good to me.

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/14/15 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

Crowd looks good to me.

ok that shot was ok but the top echelon of our athletes..shouldn't that be even more? I mean pleasonton,Loon look like they have a bigger crowd..point taken though Nate
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Stahmixson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stahmixson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 5:20am
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Mike Beech Mike Beech wrote:

the best rivalry in its history.
No.

BTW, what happened in the OS?  Dan at 44'??  If he would have thrown his normal distance there, it would have been an easy cruise to victory instead of down to the WOB.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 8:10am
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

Crowd looks good to me.

ok that shot was ok but the top echelon of our athletes..shouldn't that be even more? I mean pleasonton,Loon look like they have a bigger crowd..point taken though Nate

The people that go to Pleasanton and Loon aren't JUST there for athletics. This crowd was.

I love HG. I really do. But I have a healthy perspective of exactly how well known and popular we are.

Enjoy the look of that crowd. That's pretty much as good as it's going to get without a full games backing.
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 8:31am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

No.

No? Anderson-Rowe, Vierra-Sandford, Valenti-Pauli, I think this is at least as good as any of 'em.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 9:03am
Barron-Barron imo.
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 10:27am
Vincent-Vincent?
Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm
Chad Ullom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Ullom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 10:32am
Crowd was great. It's a small town, 20k people, had 8k fans Saturday, all watching the games. Stayed full until well past 8pm when the keg finished, then stayed for the concert that night, I left at 11 and it was still packed.
Sunday, Cold downpour all day. Still had several thousand standing in the rain and cheering the guys on. I think the athletes were happy with the crowd
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 2:28pm

Barron-Barron imo.

On a scale from zero to Tupac v. Biggie that one ranks a solid Bill Buckley v. Gore Vidal.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 2:49pm
Tongue
Chad Ullom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Ullom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 4:24pm
All 12 drug tested BTW
Captain Slow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 5:49pm
By which anti-doping body?
Please, please, please dont f*ck about near or in electricity substations.
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/15 at 8:44pm

No.

BTW, what happened in the OS?  Dan at 44'??  If he would have thrown his normal distance there, it would have been an easy cruise to victory instead of down to the WOB.

I don't know about that, Craig, but the OS was bad for me. I couldn't tuck the stone (tweaked my wrist wrap placement the weeks leading up ... stupid move). Ugh. I get sick thinking of it again and it falling off my hands. Rookie mistakes made by a guy who should know better by now, you know?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/15 at 8:32am
I do know, we've all been there. 

Congrats on the win, brother.  
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/15 at 10:35am
Thanks, man!
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/15 at 1:58pm
And the crowd was huge Saturday. That hillside was packed full of 7,000 people, as reported. They were the loudest group I've ever heard. The reason it didn't look as big because you could only watch on that one side of the field (other side was a huge castle wall, which was awesome and helped with the acoustics). Also, the hammers and weights were by the cage which was away from the crowd a bit. 

When Scott turned that monster stick ... well ... I've never heard a booming cheer like that in the highland games, and I've been to a handful of the great games.  In terms of crowd engagement, excitement, numbers and cheering, this one belongs with the best in the US, like Loon, Pleasanton and others.  Something I'll never forget. 
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/15 at 2:14pm
Ok my bad for mentioning the crowd thing..I guess when I was watching it on the live feed the crowd look on screen didn't jive with what was really there..
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/15 at 3:15pm
No worries, man. My wife said the same thing! I guess the cameras didn't really pan the crowd or show tthethem, so you're not alone in your thoughts!
big MAC View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big MAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/19/15 at 2:32am
I picked a bad games to have my worst throwing in a while never getting off any really good throws, but nevertheless, World's is a different kettle of fish.

This competition was incredible. Seriously, I cannot think of a single thing to criticize, nothing.
The organisation was superb. The IHGF and AJERF/Jean-Louis Coppet ran a great show.
The photo's don't do the venue justice, utterly amazing.
As mentioned above, the crowd was over 8000 on day 1, and practically everyone stayed for the entire time. This wasn't a games with the crowd distributed around. Over 7000 people were there purely for the throwing. People drove 4 hours from Paris to come watch, and it got a level of press and advertising that I've never seen before. 6 TV Crews, and significant European coverage. Yes, you couldn't watch it on ESPN or CBS that day, but the sport is not at that level. Dan McKim remarked that the livestream meant that it was the first time in years his kids had seen him throw. 

A huge credit to the organisers and 230+ volunteers who put on an absolutely top class event.
As far as the throwing goes, the stones were difficult- a 10 inch diameter 17.8lb open stone. Saturday had uncharacteristic rain all day, we took 2 hours to do the heavy hammer, and yet the crowd never dipped below 1500-2000.  I've never seen anything like it. Even the Scots thought the weather was tough.

I'd also like to say props to the iHGF for being committed to inviting athletes from all over the world. It's fantastic to have a diverse field for throwers all over the world to work towards. To the next tier American throwers, consider moving to Australia. ;)

Best of luck to everyone for the rest of the season.
Stahmixson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stahmixson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/19/15 at 3:19am
This weekend IHGF World AMATEUR Championships in Norway.
I do not know if there is a Live Stream. Last year is was.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic