Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Kevin Becker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: Kevin Becker
    Posted: 6/20/15 at 3:13pm
I've decided to give this training log thing a try. For those of you I haven't met, I'm in my 3rd year throwing in the highland games, and this is the first year I've trained specifically for this sport. Before starting, I threw the wire hammer in track and field for about 12 years. I got relatively competitive within the US, but was still a long way from throwing far enough to make a US team. So after being pretty burned out with hammer, I took the advice of my college teammate Luke Crowley and signed up for my first highland games. I had more fun that day than I had had in years in track and field, and I was hooked!

Fast forward 2 more years, and this year has been off to a great start for me. I feel powerful again, technique is getting better, and I'm figuring out how to train for 9 events instead of 1. After a busy first half of the year I took about a month off after the Texas Scottish Festival to take care of some nagging injuries. I'm back at it now, and am gearing up to throw some big numbers in the late summer/fall games. I'm going to do my best to post my training here since I've been pretty bad over the years about recording my training. I look forward to getting insight from all the knowledgeable folks on this board!
Kevin Becker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/15 at 3:35pm
Training updates for the last week and a half:

6/10/15- First day throwing in almost a month, eased into things testing how the body would feel. Still having some patellar tendon pain so wanted to make sure it would be okay.

HWFD x 5, best of 36'1 and no knee pain!

LWFD x 8, best of 75'3"

Easy squats testing out knee

6/13/15- Time to get stones to a respectable level. Took video and trying to make improvements

Braemar x 8, best of 37'

Open stone (stand throws only) x 10, best of 43'1

HWFD x 5, best of 37'2"

Upper body lift

6/16/15- First hammer session in a month, lots of knee pain last time. Felt good today!

HH x 5, best of 100'1"

LH x 2, one of my blades broke on the first throw, tried one throw without but not worth it. Glad heavy went well, but wish I could have seen what the light would do!

6/18/15- Stones. Took video and got some good advice to try for next practice. Looking forward to getting these events better.

Braemar x 8, best of 36'9

Open (Stand only) x 10, best of 43'5

6/19/15- Distance weights. Should have been a rest day, but unable to train this weekend so doing it now.

HWFD x 6, best of 32'9 (I couldn't believe it, worst day with this in a long time. Glad I didn't measure until after I threw LWFD)

LWFD x 6, best of 80'1" (glad it went better than heavy weight!)

HWFD 1 turns to save pride x 4, best of 35'8"

It is taking me a little while to find my rhythm with the 56 again, feels like way too much work right now.

Deadlifts (2 hours after throws)-

225 x 5, 315 x 3, 405 x 1, 455 x 1

Goal was to work up to a heavy single to see where I'm at. At 455, my right hamstring felt crampy, so decided not to push any farther. Still wanted to do something, so I decided to try a EMOM workout since I'd never done it. I did a single at 405 every minute for 21 minutes. Not sure of the training benefit here, but it was something fun to try!
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/15 at 9:25pm
YES! Becker is here!

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/15 at 12:28pm
Where are you out of, chico?
...Josh
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/15 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Kevin Becker Kevin Becker wrote:

I've decided to give this training log thing a try. For those of you I haven't met, I'm in my 3rd year throwing in the highland games, and this is the first year I've trained specifically for this sport. Before starting, I threw the wire hammer in track and field for about 12 years. I got relatively competitive within the US, but was still a long way from throwing far enough to make a US team. So after being pretty burned out with hammer, I took the advice of my college teammate Luke Crowley and signed up for my first highland games. I had more fun that day than I had had in years in track and field, and I was hooked!

Sort of semi-related... Myself and Dan Bourque were out after a game in 2005 (iirc) and after we got paid he looks over at me and says, "I just made more this weekend than I did my entire 'pro t&f' career".  Crazy to me...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/15 at 8:56am
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

Where are you out of, chico?

I'm in Denton, TX. Moved here last August from Knoxville, TN.

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Sort of semi-related... Myself and Dan Bourque were out after a game in 2005 (iirc) and after we got paid he looks over at me and says, "I just made more this weekend than I did my entire 'pro t&f' career".  Crazy to me...

Sounds about right Craig. I never made a dime and spent loads of my own money on travel just to compete. Hoping I can share Dan's experience soon!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/15 at 10:20pm
Late evening throws tonight, making good progress.

Braemar x 8, feedback from last practice video was helpful and had what I think is a pr with this stone at 37'11

HWFD- Have had problems with orbit on first turn, so wanted to try some overweight training to see if it would help me relax more with the 56.

62.5lbs x 4, didn't feel awful, but still had orbit problems

57.5lbs x 6 (my HW is a DB head and weighs a little heavy), best of 38'2, more relaxed in first turn, and orbit was closer to normal. Starting to find my rhythm with this event again

LWFD x 3 at 77, 81, 80. Felt very good, wish I had a games coming up soon!

I bought almost 400 pounds of bumper plates yesterday for my garage gym and will probably try to get some olympic lifts in during the next couple days. I've stayed away from them due to some rotator cuff problems, but am hoping to get them going again!
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/15 at 9:20am
Luke speaks of you like some sort of sea monster, but then again, I sort of think of anything coming out of LaCrosse that way.
...Josh
BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/15 at 12:10pm
Glad to see you loggin on here Kevin... can't wait to steal all of your secrets!
Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/15 at 11:27pm
Here you go Luke:

Training Secret #1- Breakfast tacos. Before moving to Texas I didn't even know these were missing from my life. Since moving here and adding these to the training regimen, my throws have improved drastically and I've gained 14 pounds. Coincidence? No.

Lifting tonight:

Finally got to try out my new bumper plates in the garage gym. First time I've done any oly lifts since this shoulder and knee business, and they went pretty well.

Power Clean-
135x5, 185x5, 205x3x4- Shoulder still feels a little shaky at the top of the pull, so didn't go any heavier.

Front Squat-
205x5, 225x5x4, 275x1, 315x1- This is the best front squats have felt in a long time. Patellar tendon pain was almost non-existent so tried out some heavier loads.

Good Mornings-
135x5x5

TKE's-
4 sets of 15 each leg (an exercise from Jon Hereth to keep the knee healthy)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/28/15 at 9:59pm
Sunday afternoon throws:

Braemar x 5, best of 37'4"

Open (stand) x 8, best of 42'9"

Stones felt okay, not great

HWFD x 5, best of 38'0

LWFD x ~8, best of 83'4 (new training PR)

Excited about the training PR in LWFD. Throw felt pretty good, but finish felt off and was down right side which is unusual for me. Took some video to check out technique, throw in video was 82 low. Any critique is welcome. After several failed embed attempts, I gave up and just posted the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fkCv6XY48E

Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/15 at 7:04pm
Stop training please
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/15 at 7:09pm
I can't and I won't. Except for today. As I was measuring my throws yesterday a fire ant bit my hand and it's swollen up like a balloon now. Upper body lifting will have to wait a day or two I think. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/01/15 at 10:26pm
6/30/15- 

WOB Practice- Easily the best WOB practice I've ever had. I used to throw at a tree branch that was 16' and I only cleared it once or twice. I found a new branch in a better location that is 16'6 and threw there. Pretty much every throw I took had the height to clear it, just struggled with accuracy at first. Once I got it dialed in, I cleared 3 out of 4 throws in a row with 2 of them having height for 17. Unfortunately this practice ended quick because a storm rolled in and my last throw I tore off a big callus on my middle finger. Gotta start taking better care of my hands.

Went back to the garage to hit some deadlifts.

135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 365x3, 405x3, 455x1, 485x1, 505x1 PR, 525x1 PR

Pretty excited about the PR's. Until this year I never really trained deadlift, just focused on squat and olympic lift variations. It's been fun to do something different and I think it's helping out the throws too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/15 at 11:16am
Catching up on a few days here. Busy time at work so haven't been able to train a ton.

7/3/15: 

Should have been a hammer day, but I haven't gotten new blades since mine broke so I made it a wire hammer day! Only the third time I've thrown in the last 14 months.

16lb x 10, best of 65m (this is competition weight, it takes about 68-69m to qualify for olympic trials)
6kg x 4, best of 73.10m (when I was training full time for wire hammer, I only threw the 6kg this far 2-3 sessions a year. I don't understand how it's going this far with no hammer training)

6kg video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMt3gztdEMQ

7/13/15:

Power Clean-
135x5, 185x5, 185x5, 225x3x3, 275x1, 295x1, 315x1 

Video of 315 single: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmlMavGTXUQ

First time in a couple months I've gone heavy in cleans due to shoulder problems, but this was outstanding. Rep at 315 technique was ugly, but this was the easiest it has ever gone up. If I hadn't just gotten over 2 injuries I might have pressed on for a new PR. 

Front Squat-
225x5, 225x5, 275x5x3

7/8/15:

Late night throws-

Braemar x 6, best of 36'5. Didn't feel much pop today, think I've gone too long since practicing this event.

HWFD x 8, best of 38'1. Felt a couple good throws, but drive felt weak on most of them

LWFD x 8 2 turns, best of 79'7. Struggling to feel a strong finish on these. The throw doesn't feel bad, but I don't feel myself smacking forward into the board like I do on my best throws

LWFD x 10 1 turns, new 1 turn PR at 76'1. Goal here was to try to find a good finish. Hopefully next practice it translates to the 2 turn.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/15 at 11:38am
Solid training man! 

I miss wire hammer sometimes, if I had one I would throw it from time to time!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/15 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

I miss wire hammer sometimes, if I had one I would throw it from time to time!

If you make it back to Arlington next year bring your shoes and maybe we can squeeze in a Sunday morning practice!
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/15 at 1:46pm
I'd be good with that!!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
crazysaladboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazysaladboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/15 at 2:18pm
ooh...Ooh!  Pick me! Pick Me! I wanna throw that too!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/10/15 at 11:58am
All are welcome!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/12/15 at 9:45pm
Friday night was a gentle reminder that I'm not 20 years old anymore. I was tired after a long day, but wanted to get my planned workout in to stay on track. Even though warmups felt awful and everything felt heavy, I still decided to deadlift heavy. I worked up to singles at 455, then dropped back to 405 to hit a few quick triples. First rep of these I felt a small pop in my hamstring, dropped the weight and prayed it wasn't bad. Luckily it was just tight for about 24 hours and now feels pretty much fine. 

Lesson learned was when my body doesn't feel good I need to either rest or just get some decent volume in with lighter weights. 

Tonight after mowing the lawn I decided to try a few sheaf pulls in the driveway. I haven't thrown sheaf since Arlington on May 9th where I hurt my rotator cuff blocking funny in the sheaf. My shoulder has been mostly pain free the last 4 or 5 days, so I decided to give it a shot. Took 10 pulls on a 16lb bag, and had no pain in the shoulder! Turned it up on a few of the pulls and had some nice height. Hoping I can find someone who has a 20lb bag around here to take a few pulls on before Minnesota in August.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/13/15 at 9:24pm
7/13/15-

Open stone:
Stand throws x 5
Glide x 3, best of 45'10 (first time gliding since Arlington, pretty happy with this)

HWFD x 7, best of 40'5, and 40'4 (only the second time I've ever thrown this weight 40+

LWFD x 6, best of 85'10" PR!

I watched video of Scott Farr throwing WFD this weekend and picked up a good idea. I noticed when he swings the weight back behind him at the start instead of swinging it parallel to the trig, he stands at an angle and swings it up toward say 8:00. I liked the idea of this since it forces the low point back farther. Since this is something I struggle with, I gave it a try and it's safe to say it worked awesome. I'll need to keep working with it to fine tune the timing and placement, but this is definitely a change I'm sticking with. Wish I had a game sooner than Minnesota, just gotta keep grinding!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/15 at 9:45pm
7/15/15-

Lifting, keeping everything light and fast the next couple weeks. Getting back into the pattern of 2 weeks speed, 1 week heavy.

Power Cleans- 185x3x2, 225x3x3

Front Squats- 225x5x3, 275x5 (225 felt too easy, so moved up a little for a last set and felt solid)

7/17/15-

Finally got my new hammer blades setup and wanted to try them out. I spent the first 20 minutes of practice trying to find a spot in the rock hard ground they would go into. Finally found a spot, then the handle on my heavy hammer broke on the second throw. Light hammer went well, close to a practice PR. It's been a month since I've thrown hammers, so think they'll be flying nice once I get in a good rhythm. Finished with WOB.

HH x 2, best of 95'5"
LH x 6, best of 124'1"

WOB x 8-10, cleared my 16'6" branch on my last throw
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/15 at 8:27pm
Awesome hammers mr. hammer guy. oh ya, that wob is "pretty good" too Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/15 at 2:16pm
Thanks Justin! I'm working on getting that WOB from pretty good to great Smile

7/20/15

Braemar x 6

Open Stone x 12

Stones just aren't feeling great the last couple practices. Distances are decent compared to my usual marks, but I don't feel any pop and they look terrible on video. I need to invest some time in drilling these events and improving mechanics. Also, some additional pressing strength wouldn't hurt and my shoulder is finally allowing me to do that.

Bench Press (4:1:1:0 tempo)- 5x5

Supersetted 3 sheaf throws between every set of bench in my driveway. Pulls are feeling pretty good and pain free in the shoulder which is most important.

7/21/15

Power Snatch- 135x5x4, first time I've been able to do these in 2+ months, and no shoulder pain!

Deadlift- 315x5x5, felt good, moving nice and easy with good speed

If you're interested below is a good interview with Dr. Anatoly Bondarchuk (best olympic hammer coach of all time) about his training methodology. He openly criticizes the obsession with max strength in the US every chance he gets, but he raises good points. I've setup my training more with his approach this year and it has gone pretty well for me.

http://www.hmmrmedia.com/2015/07/training-talk-with-dr-anatoliy-bondarchuk/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/15 at 10:18pm
Back at it following a hiatus. 7/23 was my last throws practice before today and I actually hit a huge training PR in the HWFD at 42'2. Since then I spent several days packing and moving into our new house, then was sick for 4 days. Not quite the lead up to Minnesota I had planned, but nothing ever goes to plan.

I did some easy cleans and front squats Tuesday to wake my body back up (it wasn't happy), and got back to throwing today. Today was heavy hammer and braemar

HH x 6, best of 102'0 (I was throwing from under the shade of a tree, or I might have died from the sun)

Braemar x 10, best of 37'4 (This is creeping back up, think my pr with this stone is right at 38. Hopefully I can squeak out a little more at Minnesota!)

Rest tomorrow, then throws again Saturday morning!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Becker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/26/15 at 10:13pm
Minnesota Ren Fest Amateur Championships Write-Up

A little late on this, but I've been busy trying to get my fall classes started up. This was a very fun game. I love being able to compete against great throwers, and this game happens to be 90 minutes from my hometown so I got to spend some time with family. Also, I escaped the relentless Texas heat for a few days. 

My goal going into this game was to win, and I came up 2 points short. I had 5 solid events and two events that just weren't good enough. It was a good lesson that you can't have a weak event and expect to beat the best.

Heavy hammer- 100'5 for 3rd. solid throws, but felt like something was missing. Hats off to Damien Fisher and his big PR

Open Stone- 44'7" for 7th. With marks down in the field, I had the chance to steal some good points, but I just didn't capitalize

HWFD- 43'4 for 1st. Technique didn't feel the best, but it was flying. This was a 3 inch PR, but I think there is a big PR on the horizon in this event.

LWFD- 80'2 for 1st. Felt pretty good, thought it would be farther, but either way got the win.

Caber- 10:30 for 6th. Tough event for me. I hadn't touched a caber since May 9th and in general I'm still getting the hang of this event. I was in 3rd going into the final round and got bumped down to 6th. Training this event will be a big priority for me going forward.

20lb sheaf- 30ft for 2nd on misses. This was a PR, and I was also very consistent with accuracy. Braidy and I went to 32'9 so he could shoot for an age group record. I had some good pulls that were probably 31ish, but knew 32'9 probably wasn't going to happen.

WOB- 17ft for 1st. Things felt good, made 17 on my first attempt and went straight to 18'1 to attempt a new amateur world record. I had some good pulls probably in the 17'9 range, just didn't have the gas left at the end of the day for 18'1. One of these games it is going down!

Keg for distance- Extra event at the end of the day. Only 4 of us threw it since it was raining off and on, but I ended up with the win. I had never done this, and we had no warmups so I only did 1 turn. Very fun event, and I hope to have the chance to throw it again at another game!

Awesome experience overall with a good bunch of guys. I wanted the win, but life goes on. Big thanks to Kevin Dupuis for the invite and for him and his crew taking such good care of us. Training focus going forward will be getting back into some strength work and getting better at stones and the caber. I have two games next month, two in October, and then will shut down competition to get prepared for the 2016 season.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic