Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/15 at 7:40am

9/13/2015

Dynamic warm up, jumps

Heavy Weight for Distance

1. One Turns x 5
  2. Full Throws x 5

Weight For Height

1. x 5

Light Hammer

1. One Winds x 3
  2. Full Throws x 5

I really struggled with the my weight for distance throws on this day. Feet and hips weren't going where they needed to an as a result throws were bbbaaaaddd..... Weight for height felt solid. I don't have any standards set up, so it is tough to gauge how high they were really going.

On a way more positive note, hammer was awesome. All throws were consistent and went far (for me at least). Just have to keep working it to carry it through!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/15 at 4:57am
9/14/2015

1. Sumo DL + 60 lb Chain

---Moderate day

405 x 2 @ 7

435 x 2 @ 7-7.5

455 x 2 @ 7.5-8

2. Close Grip Bench

---Heavy Day

255 x 1 @ 7

265 x 1 @ 7-7.5

275 x 1 @ 8

3A. Wide, Neutral Grip Cable Rows --- 2 x 20

3B. Overhead Triceps Extensions --- 2 x 20

Shoulder, hip band distraction

Got caught up late at work and my only option was to get to the commercial gym. By the time that I got there I had just over and hour to get training in before the gym closed. I would have like to get a little more volume in, but on a time crunch, it just wasn't going to happen. Weights moved really fast and easy so I was happy about that. Even deadlift which was with a junky, bent bar. Accessory volume was low too, but not a big deal. Feeling plenty strong right now. Just have to transfer it to the field! McPherson in about a week and a half.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/15 at 2:24pm
9/15/2015

Stone

1. Wrist Flips x 5
  2. Blocking Drill x 5
  3. Left Knee down drill x 5
  4. Braemar's (with heavy stone) x 5
  5. Open Throws with heavy stone x 3
  6. Open Throws with light stone x5

Hammer

Totally forgot my tacky....It was pretty hot and I was plenty sweaty. I opted to just go through a bunch of winds.

Really solid day of stone. All throws felt great. Blocking has improved quite a bit and I feel like I'm transferring force into the stone more efficiently. Still a long ways to go, but I'll take the progress. Nothing too special about hammer.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/15 at 3:03pm
9/16/2015

Dynamic Warm ups, Jumps

Heavy Weight

1. One Turns x 5
  2. Full Throws x 5

Light Weight

1. Full Throws x 3

Hammer

1. Winds with 25 pounds to simulate the heavy hammer
  2. Light hammer - one turns x 3
  3. Light hammer - Full throws x 5

Encouraging day with the weights on this day. Made some strides which should help with progress going forward. Just a product of getting the reps in and continuing to study technique, etc.

Prior to my last competition I did pretty much no heavy hammer. It threw me off a little and I felt that the heavy hammer pulled me forward some. I don't have a true heavy hammer, but I loaded 25 pounds on a handle to simulate it. I'll probably do that one more time just to keep the timing down. Throws with the light hammer felt solid. Going to keep working the hammer and hopefully keep it consistent through the competition.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/15 at 11:24am
9/17/2015

1. Seated Box Squats --- 3 x 2

2. McGill Pullups --- 5 x 2

3. Box Squat

--- Straight Bar + 80 pounds chain

3 x 2 @ 275

3 x 2 @ 295

4A. Half Kneeling Landmine Shoulder Presses --- 4 x 5

4B. Chest Supported Rows --- 4 x 8

5A. TRX Facepulls --- 3 x 10-12

5B. Overhead Triceps Extensions --- 3 x 20

6A. DB Front Raises --- 3 x 12

6B. DB Hammer Curls --- 3 x 8

6C. Med Ball Slams --- 3 x 5

Finished up with shoulder and hip band distractions

Felt a little sluggish going in to the gym and through squats. Still moved ok. Would have like to have worked up a little heavier, but not a huge benefit at this point. Focused on keeping the weight moving fast. My AC joint and shoulder has been a little sore lately. I have been doing military press on this day, but decided to substitute the landmine presses. Obviously, I couldn't go as heavy as a military press, but I was still able to get some good shoulder work in. This movement didn't bother my shoulder much so it may stay in the rotation. As a bonus, it was a little challenging for the core/torso.

9/18/2015

I wanted to throw.... Its raining so not going to happen.....

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/15 at 7:24pm

9/19/2015

Dynamic warm up, "Sprints"

1. Weight For Height x 5

Heavy Weight for Distance

1. One Turn x 3
  2. Full Throws x 3

Light Weight for Distance

1. Full Throws x 5

Hammer

1. Winds with 25 pounds to simulate heavy hammer
  2. Light hammer one winds x 3
  3. Light hammer full throws x 5

WOB felt solid. I didn't have standards set up or anything, so impossible to tell what actual height the throws were. Today, I felt like I was finally starting to make a little progress on the weights for distance. I was a little all over the place on the HWFD full throws, but I was accelerating the weight much better than previously. Once I get a little better control, this should (hopefully) equate to more distance. LWFD felt much better and was promising. We shall see.

Hammer continues to be consistent. Nothing outside the norm positive or negative. Getting close, this session was one week out.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/15 at 7:27pm

9/20/2015

Headed up to Topeka to train with Scott Campbell today. Always a good time and a great chance to learn. Plenty of throwing volume today:

1. Sheaf toss x about 5... including 1 hanging up in the tree... Managed to get that down (thankfully). Throws felt a little off today. I was hooking them pretty badly and not overly accurate... or high....
  2. Braemar x 4-5
  3. Open stone x 4-5 - felt solid on the stone throws. Hopefully I can be consistent on both stone events at McPherson. I feel that these are my best events, so I need to capitalize on them.
  4. Light weight for distance - Started off with a few one turns. These really seem to throw me off and I don't get much out of them, at least on the light weight. After talking about it with Scott, I'll probably just stick to full throws. Did about 5 full throws after that. Felt solid.
  5. Light hammer - Just threw about 5 full throws. Working on keeping arms long. Feeling consistent here. Just need to consistently improve.

Really looking forward to McPherson. Should be a good time.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 7:57pm
Wow... realized I'm really far behind here... I thought that I had been updating... but obviously not! I did a few light lifting and throwing sessions the week of Mac, but nothing worth reading about. Here is my write up of the McPherson Games:

Dave Glasgow and Terri & Larry Ventress were the AD's for this game. The competition was remarkably smooth. We were well taken care of, had an awesome BBQ lunch, and started the day with a little scotch. In addition to 'normal' competitors, it was also the IHGF All-American Amateur Championships. To top things off, highland games legends Francis Brebner and Ryan Vierra were in attendance. Francis was announcing and Ryan was helping with some of the judging.

We followed a non-traditional order as the Amateur Championship class was following the the traditional order of events. Here is how my day broke down:

Heavy Weight for Distance - Started off with a rough event. Not my favorite event, but one that I have put quite a bit of work into. That work didn't really shine through as much as I would have liked. Best throw of 18'6". This was about a 1.5' improvement, but short of what I expected of myself. I wasn't getting square to the trig and most of my throws were very closed off.

Light Weight for Distance - In the same realm as HWFD.... Not exactly my strong suit here. I will say that I have felt much more comfortable with the light weight than the heavy weight. I had a pretty significant improvement here compared to my first games. Went 45' 3", about 9 feet better than last time. My form is significantly better with the light weight than the heavy weight. This is pretty evident when comparing distances (18 feet v. 45 feet), as they should be closer to a 1:2 ratio. So... prior to next season, I need to get bigger and stronger and my form needs to be much improved. Both weights for distance will be a major focus for me.

Weight Over Bar - I did not expect this event to be a struggle, but it definitely turned out to be. The handle on the weight was much thicker than any I have used (which isn't many). Also, the diameter of the ring seemed quite small. I had quite a bit of trouble getting a good grip on it. My hand felt like it wouldn't really 'fit' within the ring. I also typically hook grip and with the ring being thicker, I couldn't get it set well. Looking back, I probably should have ditched my glove. That may have been enough to make a difference. Regardless, I wasn't consistent with my release and this led to the high point of my throw being all over the place. Not a good thing when you're trying to squeak out every inch you can! While I was a little disappointed, this was a valuable experience. One thing that differs greatly from powerlifting, is the wide variety of implements, conditions, and other factors that can arise in the highland games. Learning how to adapt with (hopefully) come with time and experience.

Heavy Hammer - This felt solid. Managed to throw 66' 7" which is about a 6 foot improvement from last competition. I still have a long way to go to be competitive, but I'm progressing.

Light Hammer - Felt pretty solid, but didn't quite have the distance I was anticipating. Best throw of 83' 6". Between both hammers, I really feel much more consistent. I need to continue to work to dial in form, which will hopefully allow for more speed and distance. Again, I'll be working on getting plenty of reps in.

Caber - Didn't flip the qualifying caber. Just a disaster. Very disappointed in myself on this one.

Sheaf - Another disaster. Didn't get any throws in. The standards seemed narrow compared to the previous game that I competed in, but it is not like I have much experience to draw on. I had the height, but I think the standards could have been 50 yards wide and I still may have missed. Accuracy was just terrible. I need to get my hands on a fork and sheaf and practice much more!

Braemar - Went 28'10". Not horrible, but not where I expect of myself. In practice, I was between 30 and 32, but just didn't quite perform that well on competition day. This is about a foot under my result from my last games.

Open Stone - Ended the day on one of my favorite events and one of my best for the day. Threw 35' 3" for a solid PR compared to previous games. An observation - I threw a standing throw for my first throw to make sure that I got at least one legal throw in. My final two throws were glides and felt solid. I only gained about 1 foot of distance throwing with the glide. The throws felt solid, so (for me) they weren't subpar. I feel like I should be getting more distance out of this. Obviously, technique needs to be refined! Just another thing to add to the off-season list.

Overall, I was relatively happy with this performance. I dropped the ball on a few things, but made some pretty decent strides on others. I have a ton to work on this offseason. As of now, highland games will be my focus. I will change a few things up from powerlifting training, but much of it will be very similar. Some priorities/changes will be:

1. Perform jumps and throws during the off season
  2. Increase shoulder strength and increase overhead work. For multiply powerlifting training I do essentially no overhead work
  3. No longer competing in a weight class sport. I will take the next month or so to do some mild leaning out, but then I'll work on adding decent mass until the season starts up again

So there is a somewhat brief recap and some of my thoughts and plans. Again, Mac was an awesome competition and I'll be back!!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 8:08pm
I did a day of front squats in here... but I can't find the sheet with my weights and sets written down. This is quite distressing haha. Regardless, my legs, especially quads, were (and still are) more sore than I have been in some time.

This is from 10/6

20 minutes low intensity cardio

1. Light Weight for distance x 10 full throws

2. Light hammer x 5 full throws

My quads are super sore today! I was all over the place throwing weight for distance. I'm sure partially because I took a little time off, but soreness (Bambi legs) obviously had a huge part too. No big deal, just trying to get some reps in today. Super nice out, so had to take advantage.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 8:10pm
10/7

1A. Close Grip Bench

--- 2 Count pause

--- Heavy Day

215 x 4 @ RPE 7

235 x 4 @ RPE 8-8.5

245 x 4 @ RPE 9.5+ --- Foot slipped on the last rep of this one... things got a little sketchy for a minute, but I managed to finish the last rep in approximately 10 seconds haha

225 x 4 @ RPE 9

205 x 4 @ RPE 9

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 3 x 15

2A. Close Grip 1 Board Press

--- Trained by myself so I just put the board under my t-shirt. Used a soft touch on the board to make sure that it didn't move during the set.

185 x 6

185 x 6

135 x 6

2B. Band Rows --- 3 x 15 --- actually hooked up and EZ curl bar to a band choked around the base of my rack. Worked out pretty well.

3A. Reverse DB Lunge --- 3 x 6 - Tossed some Fat Gripz on the dumbbells to get a little grip/forearm work in

3B. Single Arm "Suitcase" Barbell holds - 2 x 10 second holds on each side with 135. I think it may be a better idea to start a little lighter and go for longer time. This was a little awkward.

Complex --- 8 reps for each exercise. 3 rounds with 90 seconds between each round.

-Power clean from the floor

-Push press

-Squat

-Push press

-Zercher Squat

Pretty solid day of benching. I was totally beat after this. I think that the foot slipping took a ton of energy. My arms were just dead after that set. The complexes got a little hairy despite the weight being super light. All the weights are light, but I've got to work my capacity back up. Not worried about the actual weights at this point. Those will come. Just have to push through for the next couple weeks.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/15 at 8:11pm
10/8/2015

1A. Deficit (1.5") deadlift

--- conventional, belt, straps

365 x 5 @ 8.5

365 x 4 @ 8

365 x 4 @ 8-8.5

365 x 4 @ 8-8.5

1B. Band Facepulls --- 3 x 12

2A. Bench @ 65%

3 x 6 @ 210

2B. Single Leg Dumbbell RDL --- 3 x 6 each

--- Used 2 dumbbells this time. Normally I use one. Not a huge deal either way. Fat Gripz to make holding on the them a little harder.

3A. Barbell Shrugs --- 3 x 15

3B. Band TKE's --- 3 x 10

3C. Bird Dogs --- 6 holds for 10 count each side

Complex:

-RDL

-Bent Over Row

-Muscle clean from the hang

-Reverse lunge

-Thruster

I did 8 reps of each movement. I did 4 reps/leg for the lunges, rather than 8 though. I did 3 'sets' of this with 90 seconds between each. I was toast again.... but maybe a little less than last time. I'll add another round next time this complex comes up...

Solid training day over all. Legs are still sore (especially quads) from the front squats, so I wasn't expecting huge numbers for DL. Numbers (as predicted) weren't great, but solid volume. Bench is a little lower volume than I would like to get, but I really started to fatigue out. The last rep of my third set was a grinder, so I didn't want to push it. In hindsight, I should have just done 2 sets of 4-5 rather than that last set of 6. But at least I didn't miss a rep. Sometimes the meathead takes over a little bit though. Feeling decent getting back into training more frequently. Should start to adjust pretty soon. I will see if I can add some more frequency to the main lifts after this microcycle is over (3 weeks).

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/15 at 9:01am
10/9/2015

1A. Military Press

3 x 5 @ 110

1B. Band Pull Aparts --- 5 x 10

2A. Squat @ 65%

4 x 6 @ 265

2B. Barbell Front Raise --- 4 x 10

3A. DB Tate Extensions --- 3 x 15

3B. Side Planks --- 10 second holds, five holds on each side

Complex:

-Power clean from the floor

-Zercher Squat

-Push Press

-Squat

-Push Press

--- Eight reps on each movement, did the series three times through. 90 second break between each.

Solid day of training. Military press was not heavy, but it is my first week back doing it, so I'm going to be cautious. Some times overhead pressing starts to bother my shoulder, so I am going to just take a slow linear progression here. I'm also focusing on getting plenty of mobility work and 'prehab' movements. In the past, overhead pressing has helped build my bench well, so I would like to be able to continue training it.

The squat work felt decent. Nice and easy. Legs were still minimally sore, but loosened up as the sets went on. Moved through the accessories and onto complexes. The complexes were the easiest they have been so far. Time to add another set. Things are moving along well.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/15 at 4:46am
10/12/2015

1. Snatch - just worked up to a few really light, quick triples

2A. Front squat

--- pause, close stance, no belt

---Moderate Day

225 x 5 @ RPE 7

240 x 5 @ RPE 8

240 x 4 @ RPE 7.5

240 x 4 @ RPE 8

2B. Rear Delt Fly --- 4 x 12 (Fat Gripz on there)

3A. Single Leg Squat --- 3 x 5 (each)

3B. DB Curls --- 3 x 8 (Of course... just left the Fat Grips on the bar)

3C. McGill Curl ups --- 6 holds x 10 second each side

Complex:

-RDL

-Bent Over Row

-Hang Muscle Clean

-Reverse Lunge

-Thruster

---Did each movement for eight reps. Four times through with 90 seconds between each. Easiest one yet.

Front squats felt better. I didn't push the weight as much since last week I was sore for almost an entire week. I think that I'm back in the swing of things because I'm not sore today (about 12 hours later). Working on getting free standing pistols in. Did a set of the squats assisted and then the rest free. The free ones are still super high right now, but I'll get there. Super happy with the complexes getting easier. I'll keep adding volume and once I'm doing 5 x 8, I'll up the weight. Another solid day in the books.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 8:49am
10/13/2015

1. Light weight for distance - started with a couple one turns, then moved to full throws. Just got about 10 total throws in.

2. Light hammer - about 8 throws

Wasn't the greatest LWFD day. Technique was pretty ugly. Hammer felt surprisingly good. I'm not pushing the throwing too hard currently. When its nice out and I have the time, I'm going to take advantage. Pretty soon.... its going to be unpleasant to be outside haha. I'll enjoy the awesome fall weather while I can.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/15 at 8:17pm
10/14/15

1A. Close Grip Bench

-- 2 Count pause

-- Light day

185 x 6 @ RPE 6-7

205 x 6 @ RPE 7

215 x 6 @ RPE 8.5

215 x 6 @ RPE 8-8.5

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 5 x 10

2A. Close Grip 1-Board Press

185 x 8

185 x 8

135 x 12

2B. Band Rows --- 3 x 15

• Choked an average band around the base of the rack and hooked an easy curl bar through it for rows

3A. Reverse DB Lunge --- 3 x 6 (kept the Fat Gripz on the handles. Just trying to get some forearm and grip work in!)

3B. Suitcase Barbell Holds --- 3 x 15 second hold each side

Complex:

• Power clean from the floor
  • Push press
  • Zercher Squat
  • Push Press
  • Squat
    • Did each exercise for 8 reps. Completed the complex 4 times through. 90 seconds rest between each complex.

Solid day of training. Triceps are worn out! This is a weak area, so they are going to get some work. The numbers are a little down which is frustrating, but considering the push presses in complexes and overhead pressing this isn't a big shocker. The complexes are getting easier each time through. Excited for this progress.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/15 at 3:40pm
10/16/2015

1A. Deficit DL (2 mats - 1.5")

--- Heavy Day

---belt, straps

365 x 4 @ 7.5

405 x 4 @ 9

375 x 4 @ 8

375 x 4 @ 8

375 x 4 @ 9

1B. Band Face Pulls --- 4 x 15

2A. Bench @ 55%

5 x 6 @ 175 (55%)

2B. Single leg DB RDL --- 4 x 6 each

--- Used 2 dumbbells. Fat Gripz on the handles to get the grip work in!

3A. Shrugs --- 3 x 15

3B. TKE's --- 3 x 12 each

3C. Bird Dogs --- 10 second holds, 6 holds each side

Complex:

• RDL
  • Bent Over Row
  • Muscle hang clean
  • reverse lunge
  • Thruster
    • 8 reps for each movement. Rested 90 seconds between each series. Did the series 4 times.

I was a little disappointed by this session. Felt sluggish the whole way through. Not sure for a specific reason. Sleep was a little less, but not really bad enough to impact my training session much typically. Probably was just due. I guess a below average day has to show up some time. I got the work done, just not as heavy on the deads as I expect. The rest is light enough that its mainly just grit the teeth and get it done. Bench is obviously super light at 55%, but the increased volume and frequency of having these lower percentage days really helps me. On to the next!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/15 at 8:24pm
10/18/15

1A. Military Press

--- 3 x 5 @ 115

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 4 x 12

2A. Squat @ 55%

4 x 6 @ 225

2B. Barbell Front Raises --- 4 x 8

3A. Overhand Band Triceps Extensions --- 3 x 12

3B. DB Side Raises --- 3 x 10 --- Did these holding onto the rack and leaning away like the video below. Also, used Fat Gripz and the wrist cocked down. Attempting to get some big delts haha.

Complex:

• Push Press
  • Squat
  • Push Press
  • Zercher Squat
    • Each exercise for 8 reps. Completed the complex 4 times in total. 90 seconds of rest between each series.

Not an overly exciting day. Very light over all. Military press felt great. Obviously the weight is very light, but I'm just focusing on proper shoulder movement patterns and staying pain free. Accomplished this. Just putting in volume for the rest of the work. Complexes probably were the easiest yet. Just one more week of these complexes and then it will be time to change.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/15 at 8:25pm
10/20/2015

1. Snatch - a few light triples again. I need to get some more bumpers if I plan on going much higher. My bumper selection is pretty limited right now.

2A. Close Stance Front Squat

--- Pause in the hole

--- olympic shoes, no belt

--- Heavy Day

225 x 4 @ RPE 7.5

250 x 4 @ RPE 8-8.5

260 x 4 @ RPE 8.5-9

240 x 4 @ RPE 8-8.5

2B. DB Rear Delt Fly --- 5 x 10... keeping with the theme - Fat Gripz on the handles

3A. Single Leg Squat --- 3 x 5

3B. DB Curls --- 3 x 10

3C. McGill Curl ups --- 10 second holds - 6 on each side

Complex:

• RDL
  • Bent over row
  • Hang muscle cleans
  • Reverse lunge
  • Thruster
    • 8 reps on each movement. Five times through. 90 seconds rest between each complex.

A little disappointed in my squat. Was expecting a little heavier, but just not there. One thing that I will say, my form is starting to improve. The rack position is getting more solid each session. Obviously though I'm far from an efficient front squatter compared to my back squat. The improved upper back and quad strength should definitely help though. The single leg squats are a work in progress, but I hope to be able to knock out some solid pistols in time... and it will take a little time...

Added another set on the complex. Got through it well. Each time I add a set, its only the last set that I feel like dying. Maybe mental? Maybe physical? Either way, its improving. This will stay in my sessions in some form for a while.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/15 at 7:51am
10/21/2015

1A. Close Grip Bench

--- 2 count pause on chest

--- Light Day

185 x 6 @ RPE 7-7.5

195 x 6 @ RPE 7.5

205 x 6 @ RPE 7.5-8

210 x 6 @ RPE 8

195 x 6 @ RPE 8

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 5 x 10 - Alternated hands pronated and supinated each set. Something that I have been forgetting to do. Always good to vary to movement just slightly.

2A. Close Grip 1 Board Press

185 x 8

185 x 8

145 x 12

2B. Band Rows --- 4 x 12

3A. Reverse DB Lunge - 3 x 6

3B. Suitcase barbell holds --- 95 pounds. I did 3 holds for a 15 count on each side

Complex:

• Push press
  • Squat
  • Push press
  • Zercher squat
    • Each movement for 8 reps. Did the series 5 times through with 90 seconds between.

My triceps are a weakness, so they must be punished with plenty of volume. The weights are unimpressive here, but the volume should begin to add up and hopefully spur some progress along. This should carry over to both benching and throwing. Another day of complexes in the books. Felt solid. I think that the overhead work, even though it is very light should add up and be beneficial as well.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/15 at 7:23am
10/22/2015

Dynamic Warm up

Light Weight

1. Full throws x 10

Stone

---All throws done with lighter stone (about 14#)

1. Wrist Flips x 5

2. Block Drill x 3-5

3. Left Knee down throw x 5

4. Braemar throws x 5

5. Open throws x 5

Light weight felt decent. Still needing to work on getting a stronger block at the end of the throw. I attempted some Modified South African throws. I'm thinking that this may be a reasonable change for me. My strengths would be more on the side of speed/athleticism currently rather than size and/or strength. I will attempt to mess with the MSA some and see if it carries over more than that glide.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/15 at 7:47am
10/23/2015

1A. Deficit DL - 2 mats (1.5")

--- Belt, straps

--- Light day

275  x 6 @ RPE 5-6

315 x 6 @ RPE 7

335 x 6 @ RPE 7.5

345 x 6 @ RPE 8

315 x 6 @ RPE 7

1B. Band Face Pulls --- 5 x 12

2A. Bench @ 65%

5 x 4 @ 210

2B. Single leg Dumbbell RDL - 4 x 6

--- Used 2 dumbbells. Fat Gripz on the dumbbells.

3A. Shrugs --- 3 x 15 @ 225

3B. Band TKE's --- 3 x 12

3C. Bird dogs --- 6 holds for 10 seconds on each side

Complex: 

• RDL
  • Bent over Row
  • Muscle Hang Clean
  • Reverse Lunge
  • Thruster
    • Pretty much the same set up here. 8 reps on each exercise. Ran through it 5 times. 90 seconds between each series.

Solid work today. Didn't push the DL too hard today. When I have a light day for DL, I tend to make sure to not over do it. I feel that the deadlift is harder to recover from, so taking 1 out of 3 sessions a little lighter helps me keep from getting too beat up. Also, I'll start increasing the frequency soon, so this will become even more important.

Bench was slightly lower volume on this day, but arms were feeling a little fatigued. Still happy that I got decent volume in. For me, volume builds the bench more than anything, so keeping a high frequency with a relatively high volume is important. On this day, it is also important that I don't have any 'grinder' type lifts. This will set me back and hinder my next main movement day.

As for why I have the Fat Gripz on essentially all the time:

1. Most of the sessions are done on my own equipment and not in a commercial gym. While it would be nice to have a full set of dumbbells, I'm not there yet. I use an adjustable/plate loaded set of handles. So primarily, I'm lazy and just leave the handles on.
  2. Place more stress on the muscles and less on the joints. Especially important since I normally use these on accessories. My goals with accessories are typically to build the needed muscles without beating myself up too much.
  3. Build grip strength. When I compete in powerlifting, I pull with a hook grip. I have had shoulder surgery in the past and still have some bicep tightness and problems. This causes me to not really feel comfortable supinating that arm. This leaves me unable the same mixed grip which I don't like, due to the possibility of developing some imbalances. Also, I honestly feel that I can pull more (especially sumo) with a hook grip since I can set my back better. Pulling 5 sets of 6 with a hook grip though.... not going to happen. Thumbs would just be hamburger. So, I use straps and do other movements, such as high reps shrugs and use Fat Gripz, to build my grip. I implement the hook grip if getting close to a meet and doing triples or less. Once you learn it, it seems that it can always come back.
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/15 at 10:01am

10/25/2015

1A. Military Press --- 3 x 5 @ 120

1B. Band Pull Aparts --- 4 x 12

2A. Squat @ 65%

--- 4 x 6 @ 265

2B. Barbell Front Raise --- 4 x 8

3A. Overhead Band Triceps Extensions --- 3 x 12

3B. DB Side Raises --- 3 x 8

Complex:

• Power Clean from the Floor
  • Push Press
  • Squat
  • Push Press
  • Zercher
    • Again, each movement for 8 reps. Did the complex 5 times through. 90 seconds between each one.

Solid day of training. Felt sort of slow/sluggish, but weights moved fine. I think that my overhead mobility is improving by focusing on more overhead movements and working on some soft tissue and mobility work outside of training. I'll progress it linearly until that stops working. At that point, I will reconsider how I want to implement overhead work, but I'm thinking that I'll probably rotate it similarly to the bench. Hoping that I can maintain overhead work. It typically helps builds my bench and definitely won't hurt my throwing.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/15 at 10:02am
10/26/2015

All throws with the light stone:

1. Wrist Flips x 5

2. 2-Foot forward throws x 5

3. Left Knee Down Drill x 5

4. Braemar Throws x 5

5. Full Throws x 5

Throwing sessions may have to be a little shorter.... It was getting dark by the time I got through this. I messed with a modified South African for my full throws. I'm thinking that this may be the way to go. It will require a fair amount of work, but since the prospects of me growing to 6'5" are pretty low I need to take advantage of any strengths that I may have. Currently, I have speed/athleticism on my side much more than size and strength. I'm going to keep going here and see where it ends up.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/15 at 10:03am
10/27/2015

1A. Snatch --- 3 x 2 - Very light still

1B. McGill Pullups --- 6 singles

2A. Safety Squat Bar Squat

--- Moderate stance, olympic shoes

--- Light day

255 x 6

265 x 6

275 x 6

275 x 6

2B. Rear Delt Fly --- 3 x 8-12

3A. Bulgarian Split Squats --- 2 x 5

3B. Hammer Curls --- 2 x 8

3C. One Arm Farmers --- 2 trips each side

Complex:

-Muscle Snatch

-Row

-RDL

-Front Squat

-Push Press

--- Each movement for 8 reps. Ran through the whole thing 4 times. 90 seconds between each.

Had to move back to the commercial gym for this session. My own equipment is in a storage unit... no lighting... no heat. Not going to work in the winter. Thankfully, all things considered, the gym is pretty decent. Hopefully by spring we will be all moved and settled and the home gym expansion can continue. Being at the commercial gym does give me access to a few things that I don't have yet, So I'll take advantage of that.

Looking to push the snatch a little bit soon. My form is still not great obviously, but its reasonable enough to start increasing the weight. The commercial gym also got a combo/Crossfit type bar that should be sufficient of me to use. Not a true weightlifting bar, but far better than the average gym bar.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/15 at 10:04am
10/28/2015

1A. Close Grip "Towel" Bench

--- Heavy Day

255 x 4 @ RPE 8-8.5

265 x 4 @ RPE 9-9.5

235 x 4 @ RPE 7.5

235 x 4 @ RPE 7.5-8

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 6 x 10

2A. Close Grip 1 1/2 Bench

--- How I perform these reps: bring bar to chest and pause. Then press half way up and pause. Bring bar back to chest and pause. Then press back to lock out. That counts as 1 rep.

3 x 5 @ 165

2B. Band Row --- 3 x 15

3A. TKE's --- 3 x 12

3B. Overhead band Tricep extension --- 3 x 12

3C. Side planks --- 6 holds x 10 second each side

Unfortunately, had some work stuff come up and I wasn't able to get complexes in. I was happy with the benching work. For the towel bench press, I just rolled up a towel and used that for a board. I train by myself 95% of the time at least. Its much easier to slip a towel under your shirt compared to keep a board there. It does compress and you don't get the same rebound off of it as using a board. The close grip 1 1/2 benches are just to add mass and get lots of work on the triceps. Again, my triceps are a weakness, so I am going to attack them with volume.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/15 at 10:28am
10/30/2015

1A. Pause DL -- 1 count pause off the floor

--- straps, belt

---Moderate day

315 x 5 @ RPE 7-7.5

345 x 5 @ RPE 8-8.5

355 x 5 @ RPE 8.5

355 x 4 @ RPE 8.5

1B. McGill Pullups --- 6 singles

2A. Bench @ 65%

210 x 6

4 x 4 @ 210

2B. DB Row

70 x 8

85 x 8

100 x 8

130 -- 2 x 8

2C. Shrugs -- 2 x 15

Complex:

• Muscle Snatch
  • Row
  • RDL
  • Front Squat
  • Push Press
    • 8 reps on each movement, 4 times through overall. 90 seconds between each series

3A. 45* Back Extensions --- 3 x 10

3B. TRX Triceps Extensions --- 3 x 10

Weights on DL were a little lower than I would have liked/anticipated. This is the first time that I have done this movement (from what I can remember). This was a pretty tough movement, I really focused on keeping my position during the pause. Easier said than done.

I had forgotten how horrible commercial gym benches are. I tried looping bands around the pad, but this didn't help much either. I was struggling to keep position for 6 reps, so I switched over to just doing more sets of 4. I see plenty of floor pressing and inclining in my future haha. DB rows are pretty much my least favorite exercises...so now that I have access to heavy dumbbells I should probably do them. Just a rough lift. Need to build a big back!

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/15 at 10:46am
10/31/15

1A. Military Press

3 x 5 @ 125

1B. Band Pullaparts --- 6 x 10

2A. Squat @ 65%

4 x 6 @ 270

2B. DB Lateral Raises --- 4 x 8

3A. DB Roll Backs --- 3 x 8

3B. Band Pallof Press --- 3 x 10 each

3C. Single Leg Squat --- 3 x 5 each

Rather than complexes... I decided to go with death by Prowler. Felt good to go to the brink of death... don't get that feeling often. No need to do that often, but good boost up that pain threshold every now and then. Other than that, happy with the steady, linear military press progress. Just getting the volume in on squat. Continuing to move in the right direction.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/15 at 4:59am
11/15/2015

1A. Low box Safety Squat Bar Squats + 40 lb chain

--- Moderate Stance

--- Light day

225 x 6 @ RPE 6-7

245 x 6 @ RPE 7-7.5

260 x 6 @ RPE 7.5-8

260 x 6 @ RPE 8

225 x 6 @ RPE...forgot to write it down, relatively light though

1B. McGill Pullups --- 10 singles

2A. Close Grip Incline

155 x 10

3 x 10 @ 160

--- Trained w/ a bench that had a fixed incline that was relatively steep. Also, pretty low to the ground. Overall, a tough (and humbling) bench to use! Due to the incline, I couldn't quite touch my chest comfortably with a close grip.

2B. Lat Pulldowns --- 4  x 15

3A. Side Planks --- 6 holds for 10 seconds each side

3B. DB Hammer Curls (w/ Fat Gripz) --- 3 x 10

3C. Straight Arm Lat Pulldowns --- 3 x 10

Complex:

• Muscle Clean
  • Row
  • Reverse Lunge
  • Push Press
  • Zercher Squat
    • Forced to step it up a little bit today. Went heavier since I basically had to, no 10 lb bumpers haha. Did each exercise for 8 reps and the entire series 4 times through. Felt the weight addition for sure!

Trained with my brother at Kansas City Stone & Barbell for this session. Used the Rogue SSB for the first time. I'll be honest, I didn't like it all that much. The padding is pretty thin and has a space in it, so if it rolls/moves while your getting set up, you can end up with the steel pressing on your AC joint. As such.... my AC joint is pretty sore today (2 days later). If  you're looking for a Safety Squat Bar, get the EliteFTS one. The quality is significantly higher and price is the same. I did notice that the Rogue bar weighs 70 pounds. I always count specialty bars as 45, because I never know how much they weigh. That boosts my confidence a little haha.

Spent the rest of the time wrapping knees and getting my shoulders and triceps strong! Feeling pretty decent right now.

I keep falling behind with my logs here. Training has been a little more sparse over the past 2 weeks due to a bunch of work type stuff, but I have still been plugging away. Hopefully things will settle down a little and I'll do a better job posting here.

AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/18/16 at 6:49pm
1/18/16

Various Med Ball Throws

1A. Squat + 40 lb chain
Moderate day
370 x 3 @ RPE 8
385 x 3 @ RPE 8.5-9
385 x 2 @ RPE 8-8.5
385 x 2 @ RPE 8-8.5
385 x 2 @ RPE 8.5-9

1B. McGill Pullups w/ extra 20 pounds - 1 single. The plan was to do 10 singles here, but unfortunately I pulled a lat deadlifting about 1 week ago. It was feeling better, but I felt a slight pull at the bottom of the rep. Not worth pushing it at the present.... So I switched over to lat pull downs and I hit 4 light sets of 8

2A. 1 1/2 Close Grip Bench
185 x 4
195 x 4
200 x 4
200 x 4

2B. DB Reverse Lunge
4 x 6 (each leg) @ 55's

3A. TRX YTM's --- 3 sets of 5 for each movement
3B. DB Curls --- 3 x 10
3C. TRX Fallout's --- 3 x 5

Going to start posting here again. Training has been very consisted, posting obviously has not. Feeling good and strong. Working on adding some weight to be a little more competitive. 

Throwing has been pretty rare/inconsistent at best. When the weather and my schedule line up, I try to take advantage.
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/16 at 12:28pm
So obviously not doing anything consistent with keeping up my log... Training has been going well. Getting ready for KC Highland Games on June 12. I'll start with the past 2 days:

5/9/2016

1A. Safety Squat Bar Squat + 40# chain
Moderate day
290 x 5 @ RPE 8
305 x 5 @ RPE 8.5
305 x 4 @ RPE 8
305 x 4 @ RPE 8.5

1B. McGill Pullups - 10 singles with 20# of extra weight

2A. Football Bar Bench + 40# chain
Light day
185 x 6 @ 7-7.5
200 x 6 @ 8-8.5
190 x 6 @ 8-8.5
185 x 6 @ 8

2B. Lat Pull downs --- 3 x 10

3A. Incline DB Bench - 3 x 20
3B. Facepulls - 3 x 15
3C. 2 DB Single Leg RDL - 3 x 8 each leg

Faded on bench. Felt weak there. Otherwise, relatively solid training session

5/10/2016 - Throwing

Stone
1. Wrist Flips x 5
2. Standing Front's focusing on looking and throwing 'up' x 6 (light stone)
3. Left Knee down drill x 3 (light stone)
4. Braemar's x 3 (22# stone)
5. Pause full throws x 3 (Light stone)
6. Full throws x 5 (light stone)

Hammer
1. McKim 1 wind drill x 3
2. McKim drill full throw x 3
3. Full throws x 5

Stone felt great. Hammer... ehh... and inconsistent. Weather was great though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
  Share Topic