Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Barry Siragusa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: Barry Siragusa
    Posted: 7/19/15 at 8:57am
Alright. New to this forum. I have been doing strongman training for a few years. Trained other things before that. I was at the Amateur Heavy Events WC's in Norway and got totally hooked.  

Today I did a combo of light strongman/events. 

Started out with natural stones up to a 4 foot platform. Series of 3, (170 lbs, 215 lbs, 250 lbs) X 6. 

Then moved to a light caber (10 footer weighing 80 pounds). Worked on pluck and balance to begin with. Moved to tossing afterwards. I have been throwing a bigger one, but am struggling with the toss technique. Duncan McCallum suggested I move to a small one and work technique.

Then did Braemar Stone (22.5 lb). I threw with both my left and right, hoping to avoid injuries. (good idea or total BS?) Distances varied from side to side obviously. I throw with my right normaly. Hit between 28-30 feet with my right.

As I said, I am new to the highland games scene. I want to avoid bad habits and bad training. Feedback and criticism are badly needed!

I wanted to be a neo-deconstructivist but mom wouldn't let me.
Bear Siragusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:33am
Fefor Husafell Stone... That is all. 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/15 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Bear Siragusa Bear Siragusa wrote:

Then did Braemar Stone (22.5 lb). I threw with both my left and right, hoping to avoid injuries. (good idea or total BS?)

It's not gonna hurt you. 

It's also likely not gonna help you from a distances standpoint. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/15 at 9:27am
That makes sense. Was thinking about balance more than increasing distance when throwing with the left.
I will probably drop reps on the left and focus more on the right. 

Day before yesterday was a deloading day with some light bench for reps close handed, and wide grip (50kgs,3X5) each, some tricep curls, good mornings and and unweighted lat pull ups. 

Today was a hike. Then squats 50kgs until fail, deadlift ditto. Looking for explosiveness. 

Headed to a strongman comp tomorrow to help rig the events and move the weights around. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/26/15 at 3:54pm
Just a short and sweet today. 
Better than nothing. 
Light and explosive.

Overhead press 5X5 @120 lbs
Standing rows 5x3 @120
Curls 5x10 @45 lbs
Tricep extensions 3x5 @ 45 lbs

Tomorrow is caber and hammer. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/15 at 12:02pm
Stones all day. 

Atlas stones. 4 sets. 

Braemer Stone was feeling good but I should have done that before I did Atlas Stones.  

Lifted 80kg Stone overhead as that is an event in the Stones of Strength. Need another 20kgs to match the WC weight. 

Finished with some caber. Still not happy with the sprint. 

Might throw the neighbors dog for distance if it doesn't stop barking and coming into my yard and peeing on my cabers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/15 at 3:34pm
Bicep dumbbell curls 5X5, @ 46 kgs. 
 Tricep extentions 5x5 @ 26kgs
Bench @ 60kgs 5 x 5
deadlifts 5 x 5 140
etc, etc. 

Poured all day. Otherwise I would have thrown today. Instead I was a sissy. 

Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/15 at 7:48pm
Welcome Bear.  What do you teach?  Good luck in the games, a great group of people.  Glad to see another mammal about.

Mule
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/15 at 3:04am
Hey there Mule! I teach English, History and Biology at a Middle School here in Norway. 
The games people I have met so far have been awesome. I am really looking forward to training with some others and getting to a games myself soon!

How about you? What do you do when you are not throwing weights?
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/15 at 12:32pm
Insurance adjuster, dad of three and Cheryl is my best half and cooks the food on my thread.  I am in Alabama, home of the Crimson tide and we have a place to train if you matriculate to this area of the globe.  All the best and cheers.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/15 at 3:15pm
Thanks! Let me know if you are ever in Norway! We have a workshop coming up in Oct. With Francis Brebner. You should come out! 

Today was Caber. It is starting to feel smoother. The balance is getting easier and I feel like I am starting to be able to feel the sweet spot for tossing. 

Also did tireflip for 20 reps on an 700 pound tire. 
Ended with Husafell stone until I lost my lunch. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 3:19pm
Did some light upper body yesterday. 

Didn't do anything today. 

Getting after it tomorrow. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/15 at 10:22am
Internet has been down. Still here. 

Trained some major back and explosiveness. 

Watched some of Duncan's Youtube and got inspired. Threw light hammer and heavy hammer. A old man came along and threw farther. 

Tried a challenge caber today. 61kgs and 5.3 meters long. The wind was blowing and so was I. Needless to say, no turn.

Looking forward to making the transition from talentless hack, to just hack. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Siragusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/15 at 3:18pm
God, been way to long since the last update. 

Been training.

Did a lot of over head pressing
explosive jump squats
explosive deads. 

Lots of throwing until the snow came two days ago. I will keep rolling with the Braemer and WFH in the snow. 

Goal is to do ok in the Scandinavian Qualifier in July for the Amateur WC's. 

Drinking French Wine... seems appropriate tonight. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic