FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

What handle do you hate most?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What handle do you hate most?
    Posted: 8/05/15 at 12:43pm
I am going to have Mike Landrich retrofit my T&F 56 lb weight with a different handle, as the current one is a two-handed-sized triangle (PS, Mike you don't know this yet, I'll contact you soon)

I think I want to put a handle on it that I really don't like...sort of like practicing with the biggest caber you can...I am thinking if I hate the handle it will be one less thing to get in my head when I throw in a games and find that the implement is awkward...it will be less or similarly awkward as my training implement

Shapes? Thoughts?
John
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/15 at 1:49pm
I think what would server you better is finding out what the prevalent handle is for the part of the country where you compete (if there is one) and getting one of those.  For example, I have never thrown a game in the Southeast that didn't use ring handles, so that is what is on all my practice implements. 

That said, when I competed in Texas at the beginning of the season, I threw with triangle and D handles just fine.  Perhaps I'm not good enough for it to make a difference or perhaps ring handles are the worst case.  Your mileage may vary.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/15 at 4:20pm
All I know is that Jake Sullivan prefers the D...
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/15 at 8:45pm
Handle doesn't matter that much IMO. Get whatever is comfortable and learn the positions with it.

2 pennies
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/15 at 10:34am
I'm thinking of getting a variety of handles and training with all of them so when I go to different games my technique doesn't get worse just because of a handle. I have enough suck without that dynamic too.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
Damien Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/15 at 2:54pm
I'd go with whatever allows you to get the most practice reps in, because it really shouldn't matter that much. You may have to modify your hook a little between a thin ring handle and a thick D-handle, but its not as though the throw technique changes between handles. If you chose a handle you hate its probably gonna take away from from working on positions in practice.
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/15 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

All I know is that Jake Sullivan prefers the D...

Still waiting for the hamsters in Jake's brain to catch up with this.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Damien Fisher Damien Fisher wrote:

it really shouldn't matter that much. 

It shouldn't, but D handles usually gave me another 2-3 feet in the 56# (but nothing at all in the 28# - go figure). Angry
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 3:59pm
^^ And they took away 2-3 feet for me.  
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/15 at 2:01pm
Small diameter ring handles. Like holding a FFFFFing razor blade.
Damien Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/15 at 11:40pm
^^^ This!!!

I meant more so that the handle shouldn't change how you throw the implement. Correct footwork, orbit, etc, will be the same regardless of handle type
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 10:35am
lmao, this is the first I visited the thread and saw what Geoffrey Cast wrote.

Small diameter rings are the worst. Large diameters are meh, but they're doable. I do, in fact, prefer the D handle. All of my big throws are with either a D or a triangle. 90'2 in Pton was a triangle and 48'8 in Estes was a D.
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 1:05pm
I keep both the ring and D handle to switch them out for the games I'm going to, but, I always throw better with the D handles, and my hands like them better.

Don't get a handle that will tear your hands up and that you "hate." Get something comfortable that will allow you to get reps in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic