Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Newbie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

First time competing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoldFast7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First time competing
    Posted: 8/31/15 at 12:15pm
Hi everyone..
My name is Chelsey Sherwood-Dunham and I'm from sussex New Brunswick Canada
I was wondering if anyone would have some training tips that could help me prepare for my first
Compitition next July at the Fredericton New Brunswick Highland Games festival.. I think it's an amazing event so full of culture and history and really looking forward to a new challenge. I'm competing in the womans catagory obviously lol.. I would really like to hear how you all train and prepare for a compititions.. Any information would be greatly appreciate it

HOLD FAST!
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/15 at 11:30pm
Hi Chelsey,

Such a broad question! How old are you? How much experience do you have, if any, in track/field throwing events? How much, if any, strength training do you do?

Now in my 9th season of competing, I like a mix of strength training (heavy for me but not all out maxes) and throwing practice. I happen to have the implements on hand (but no standards for WOB and sheaf) and can conveniently practice right outside my fence: I don't have to load stuff up and go anywhere else. For me, I've been practicing one heavy day (Heavy WFD, Heavy Hammer, WOB, and both stones) and two light days (Light WFD, Light Hammer, Sheaf, and both stones) each week. I do a few drills to prep for the WFD and hammer before doing those two. I take about an hour for each practice, aiming for a minute of rest between each throw (including retrieving the weight). The last practice before a weekend's competition I always do light events.

If you can hook up with a track/field throwing coach nearby, it would be a great start.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 7:48am
Originally posted by HoldFast7 HoldFast7 wrote:

Hi everyone..
My name is Chelsey Sherwood-Dunham and I'm from sussex New Brunswick Canada
I was wondering if anyone would have some training tips that could help me prepare for my first
Compitition next July at the Fredericton New Brunswick Highland Games festival.. I think it's an amazing event so full of culture and history and really looking forward to a new challenge. I'm competing in the womans catagory obviously lol.. I would really like to hear how you all train and prepare for a compititions.. Any information would be greatly appreciate it

HOLD FAST!

If you haven't already, I would check out csaf.ca and look at their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/196826321647/).  The best way to learn is to throw with people that know what they are doing.  Joe Hall is your man in the Fredericton area.  

Also, I prefer just to jump in the fire.  So do a games whenever you can.  The 2015 Canadian season is basically over.  The 2016 Freddy games aren't until the end of July; contact Dirk Bishop about throwing in Perth-Andover in May 2016.

My $0.02 ($0.03 CAD).
www.sportkilt.com
HoldFast7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoldFast7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 11:22am
Thank you so much for your responses!! Really appreciate it! I have done some heavy events but nothing serious more for fun.. I will deffiantly be contacting joe hall for sure. Having someone to give me a little guidance would really help.. And point me in the right direction.. :)
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 12:34pm

more for fun..

^^^ don't lose this!

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
HoldFast7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoldFast7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/15 at 4:43pm
Hi rob.. You had mentioned in ur response that I should get in contact with Joe Hall.. Would you happen to know were I could get his contact info or email or anything? And thank you for giving me the website.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/15 at 9:06am

Hi rob.. You had mentioned in ur response that I should get in contact with Joe Hall.. Would you happen to know were I could get his contact info or email or anything? And thank you for giving me the website.

Check your PM.
www.sportkilt.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic