Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Keys to Heavy/Light weight for distance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keys to Heavy/Light weight for distance
    Posted: 9/18/15 at 9:06pm
What would be the 3 most important cues/drills/points of emphasis/keys to success that you would have for throwing HWD and LWD?

I understand that some consider them 2 completely different events. I kinda agree with that, however, I still suck at them both. I am a high B, low A, class thrower. I've been doing this a few years. I've improved a great deal in all events, except these 2. I would love to qualify for MWC in a couple years, if they go that route, and these 2 events hold me back.

I need things to focus on in practice, otherwise, I just reinforce bad form. Help!!!
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/15 at 10:05pm
Line. Drills...line drills..line drills..learn to sink,spin,replace feet....my training partner and I set out to dominate the highland games with no throwing background( both decent athletes..me state champion in drug tested powerlifting..training partner all American football player/ top ranked amtr boxer) well our first practice I went 11/29, and he went 13/39.. We were humbled and actually thought we had bit off more than we could chew!..we bought a lot of video,sought out throwing studs like 17/20,mr natural,red rage and drilled the shit out of the wfd,s. Line drills with sinking really set it off (I ended up hitting 35-9/66 while my training partner hit 38/74 ). Keep at it..throw tons( I mean shit load of reps).. Might even want to throw the 42 a lot more(56 beats the body up/ can get a lot more reps in with 42 and recover...keep plugging away!
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/15 at 9:05am
First you have to learn to drop your hips weather it be starting like that like Sandford did or dropping them like Vierra.

The other thing that is even more important is to feel the weight. Catch it back and feel it into the sprint, get in the power position and catch it back again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic