Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Light weight division and weigh in's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light weight division and weigh in's
    Posted: 9/27/15 at 8:27pm
Now that the MWC and the USLW champs is over its time to stir up the hornets nest.

I have a huge issue with weigh ins the day before a games. Every time I had to weigh in it was the morning of the game. Why? Because When you actually throw, not the night before, is when you have to be <200 or <190.

The whole idea is you THROW AT THAT WEIGHT. So I am asking all AD's who run a US LW Championships, a World Lightweight championships and the MWC to make the weigh in the morning of. If guys travel and can't make weight, then they shouldn't be throwing in that class. 

And yes if its a 2 day games you must make weight both days.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/15 at 8:36pm
Just think it's. Healthier and safety issue to weigh in the night before. I mean how much can you gain?? 
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/15 at 8:45pm
Nope
berby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 2:00am
I have gaind 14 by the end of the day after morning weigh inn. And yes dan its safer to have 24hr weigh inns. If you cant time your weight loss thats your problom not all the other guys in the class.
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 6:22am
God Forbid guys actually throw at the weight they are supposed to.
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 6:40am
Brian-

If you have any more issues with me or the way I do things then I'll find a solution for you, but it may not be the one you want.

You are way more trouble than you are worth. Keep your issues to yourself or piss off. 

-K 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 7:22am
It's not my issue, its a class issue and it is something that several wish to have addressed. Its being asked of any AD holding a championship, not just you.

Can't wait for Buffalo next year now that I am about done fighting Cancer. I am a Bills fan so that will make the trip that much better.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 8:28am
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

Just think it's. Healthier and safety issue to weigh in the night before. I mean how much can you gain?? 

Honestly? If you know what you're doing, about 20# in 24hrs.

The only reason health and safety come into the equation is if you have guys doing major weight cutting. If they are walking around 2-3# over during mid-day, then weighing in before breakfast, they're probably making weight easy.

Olympic weightlifting does weigh-ins day of. Usually within 2hrs of lifting. There's your competition weight.

Powerlifting and MMA do 24 hour weigh ins. Weight cutting is an art form at the higher levels. 242s competing as 220s. 220s competing as 198s. This is reality.

I've got no dog in this fight, but claims of health and safety are ridiculous unless guys are cutting more than 10# to make weight.

That being said, if it's 24hr weigh ins, I say learn to game the system.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 9:50am
OK. A few years back at a Biggest Loser contest at work-dropped from 245 to 219(came in 3rd). If I buckle down and drop from 248(now) to 215 to 220 range will do the 24 hr weigh in while dropping water weight(have read the powerlifting giants who do this ie; Kroc,JM Blakely,brian Carrol) then carb/rehydrate up and throw. Sounds like a plan(im serious and think it would be good for me!)im on the treadmill as we speak(fasted/am cardio)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Powerlifting and MMA do 24 hour weigh ins. Weight cutting is an art form at the higher levels. 242s competing as 220s. 220s competing as 198s. This is reality.

Not all PL is 24-hour weigh in: USAPL/IPF are 2 hour.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 12:22pm
Thanks for adding to the conversation.
jimgem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimgem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 2:47pm
I will gladly weigh in the morning each day of a competition like we used to. I will weigh before each event in my kilt because I am a TRUE lightweight. ( I'm a lightweight drinker also so that makes me a cheap date) Big smile  If you want to loose 10 20 30 or more pounds to compete with me lets weigh in each day of the competition. Safety ? maybe it would be safer and healthier to weigh under 200 all year !

Jim Spalding
MWC LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION  X8
GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by jimgem jimgem wrote:

I will gladly weigh in the morning each day of a competition like we used to. I will weigh before each event in my kilt because I am a TRUE lightweight. ( I'm a lightweight drinker also so that makes me a cheap date) Big smile  If you want to loose 10 20 30 or more pounds to compete with me lets weigh in each day of the competition. Safety ? maybe it would be safer and healthier to weigh under 200 all year !

Jim Spalding
MWC LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPION  X8

It can't be put any better than that. Thanks Jim!Clap
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/15 at 5:56pm
Brian-

Drop it and leave us out of all your nonsense. Please don't use our name in your blather.

We are not changing our program and if you don't like it then you don't have to participate.

-K 
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 8:26am
Well put
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 11:32am
Cutting weight in the Heavy Events. Good lord. I can see a pound or two because you are close to that BW, but 10+ pounds? If that's the case then just throw with the rest of us.

BTW. As in all cases, the AD decides what and when. End of story.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 11:39am
As a lightweight who has only ever cut weight once, and it was a whopping 2 pounds, I have absolutely no problem with people cutting to make weight. If they are willing to put forth the effort to gain that advantage, all the power to them. To me, the people who complain about weight cuts sounds comparable to someone who refuses to lift weights, and then complains because they aren't as strong as their competitors and that's not fair. We as athletes have to make a conscious decision to take advantage, or not to, of certain things made available to us.
As for when weigh ins are held, my thoughts turn towards consistency. Either do day of, or night before at every competition. Either way is fine by me (although I recognize my opinion is only mine, and I'm not saying we should do one or the other. I honestly don't care which we do.) But to reach consistency, we are pretty much gonna require either a governing body (how many times has that been argued about?) Or a lot of cooperation. I'm not an AD, so my dog in the fight of how games are going to be run is fairly nonexistent. But those are my thoughts. Now that I've written them I don't feel like they offer any solutions, but rather just a point of view from one of the Lightweight Athletes.
rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 12:23pm
Two things (mind you this is from a 300# man who really doesn't give two sh#ts):

1) 24 hour weigh-ins are just downright stupid...in any athletic venture.  Weigh-in morning of.  Bring what you got.

2) Eat more and this problem goes away. LOL
www.sportkilt.com
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 12:58pm
Nope
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 3:23pm
Never understood the 24 hour weigh in for LW class. Kinda ruins the purpose the class was created

Jeremy Gillingham

"Go Big or Go Home"
Sponsors:   

http://www.stoutbarbell.com/Home_Page.html

http://www.backinact.com/newpatients.htm
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 4:11pm
Hey-

We'll do weigh-ins the same next year as we did this year ... same as we've done since MWC 2003.

Don't like it don't come.

-K
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 5:34pm
From a Strongman promoter/HG AD perspective, I will add one thing that I don't think was mentioned. It is much easier to get weigh-ins done the night before and get score sheets ready to go vs one more thing to do the morning of the event. I have more than enough to do without weighing in athletes, some of whom may be a fraction over and will sweatsuit up and run around in the sun to shed the last few ounces, resulting in multiple weigh-ins. Sometimes you just need to man up and say "Oh well , that's just the way it is" and throw/lift/whatever.

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
Sara Fleming View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sara Fleming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/15 at 6:40pm
I'm not good at losing weight.  I'm good at gaining weight, especially when I travel.  I appreciate the time cushion.

I also coach weightlifting and powerlifting at the national level and those who are good at cutting weight in a short period of time are also good at recovering in the two hour window.  I don't think it would make much difference to be honest.  

But for those of us who are not so good at the keeping the weight at bay (I will gain 5 lbs throughout the day, 8-10 lbs from a day of competing and recovery eating/drinking) the 24 hours is good.  Especially if I have to travel.  For example, for this competition, I dieted down to 150 and then had to go all day Thursday without eating and drinking minimally (even though I'd done a water cut) and weighed in at 152.8.  For us masters women (in peri or full blown menopause) a 24 hour weigh in greatly reduces anxiety.

Anyway, thanks for maintaining the standard, I, for one, really appreciate it.  

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 10:29am
lol, this thread is just silly.

This isn't powerlifting. This isn't strongman. This isn't Olympic weightlifting.

This is the Highland Games. The grandfather of all strength sports. Do you think they had 24 hour weigh ins 1000 years ago?

However, in modern day politically correct America, we have to appeal to the masses and create as many chances to get a trophy as possible. I can only assume we'll also create a Transgender class soon as well, right? More records for AGM to keep track of. More classes. More opportunities for trophies. I can imagine the hard work the AD's have to go through. It sounds exhausting running all of that.

1) if you don't walk around <200 (or <190) then wtf are you doing competing with those that do?
2) if you feel the need to cut 10-15lbs to make weight, then wtf are you doing competing with those that don't?

Once upon a time, people worked hard to achieve greatness. Now we just keep adding more and more classes so we can all call ourselves great. Smh.
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 10:41am
Nope-

It's not it at all.

We have 150 people who what to compete. We need to have some type of logistics to move 150 people through 9 events in 10-12 hours. The weight class is simply a product of our logistics. It does not mean what you think it means.

I matched up all the people with their best competitive peers to improve the competition.

-K
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 10:47am
AND ...

It worked.

We had many new record throws.

Because the face to face matchups by age and size stimulates the senses.

That's what its for.

-K
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 11:00am
It seems like not everyone knows why this got started...again.  So...

Wechter won the MWC lightweights and is 220lbs.

BUT  

He weighed in at 199.6, fair and square, like everyone else.

You can see where this is going...

Kevin and the MWC have indicated that current weigh-in process is not going to change for that event. 

So, the little guys have two options it seems:

1)  Eat more food and squat more to get bigger, then cut to make the class just like lifting, fighting, etc...
2)  Take a stand and don't come because you don't like the rules. 

kthxbye

K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 11:05am
Yep
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 11:22am
I propose that will eliminate weigh-ins altogether, and just check for the much sought-after "thigh-gap."  
...Josh
berby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/15 at 5:41pm
Cant have every person in the same class. I love that all ad. Have say of thare games it eliminates 100 mr percent of all crap game day. Mr. Rogers im looking forword to getting older and seeing you on the field agen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic