Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

making homemade hammers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steroid-Free since 1985.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norkasd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: making homemade hammers
    Posted: 10/25/15 at 9:06am
  I have found some 8 lb steel weight plates with a one inch diameter hole in the center at a junk store.  I am planning on either duct taping or tack welding the plates together and used a 48-50 inch PVC pipe with a T piece, a knuckle, on the bottom for the weights to sit on.  My question is are the size of the plates much different from the actual head of a real Scottish Hammer and would there be added friction if the size difference were too great?  Thank You
throw50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/15 at 8:35am
Throwing something is better than throwing nothing.

I suspect that what you build will hold up for a while, but you'll eventually need to reach out to Mike Landrich to get a real hammer head

If you can throw into a plowed field or sandy beach, your implement may hold up longer
norkasd View Drop Down
Steroid-Free since 1985.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norkasd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/15 at 8:35am
Good advice.  I do have a sand pile.  
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/15 at 8:59am
If you don't have access to a welder, good old JB Weld epoxy will hold the plates together solidly if you score them up prior to mating them.  I still have my first 22# hammer made from JB Welded 5# plates.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/15 at 1:39pm
this will definitely be a good beginner tool; the difference in the size of the plates vs a ball will make it fly different and it will feel different while spinning, or at least mine always did. Duct taping it seems like a good idea, just keep an extra roll handy because you will bust your tape every time you go to train. I also found my gym plate hammer always landed about 3-5 feet shorter than an actual hammer will. wind resistance? really don't know why. Personally I always liked that part, it made competition day feel even more satisfying.

I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/16 at 3:30pm
I love using a plate-hammer! It is harder to throw because it has a larger moment of inertia than a lead filled ball of the same weight. I would recommend leaving the plates loose to slide up the handle, however. Less torque on the handle on impact means less broken handles. Just my $0.02.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/16 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Jeremy Robinson Jeremy Robinson wrote:

I love using a plate-hammer! It is harder to throw because it has a larger moment of inertia than a lead filled ball of the same weight.

I proved that empirically today.  I threw my plate-built 16# and my Landrich 16# back to back during practice, and the Landrich hammer definitely feels lighter and easier to wind.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Jeremy Robinson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/16 at 10:12am
Lol, yeah, competition hammers feel like magic when you've been training with the plates. Same with HWFD.
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/16 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Originally posted by Jeremy Robinson Jeremy Robinson wrote:

I love using a plate-hammer! It is harder to throw because it has a larger moment of inertia than a lead filled ball of the same weight.

I proved that empirically today.  I threw my plate-built 16# and my Landrich 16# back to back during practice, and the Landrich hammer definitely feels lighter and easier to wind.

Tom

It's magic. That's why mine fly so far, despite what the scales say!!Wink
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic