Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Caber Scoring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 2:03pm
Steve, 

You're reading things into my post that simply weren't there. I was just following up on Joel's very well thought out approach to picking cabers from the pile of sticks that he has. It's pretty self evident that no judge can pick a stick that isn't there, I think I might be able to explain that to a plankton. But where the right stick is available I find that great judges tend to pick that one most of the time. Lesser judges end up switching far more often. Joel's approach is excellent because it offers a quantitative scheme for choosing cabers that can help in the selection process (although it is certainly no substitute for experience.)
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
throw50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throw50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by Joel Sim Joel Sim wrote:

Finishing the cabers the way Mark Markley instructed me was a huge success & I only had 1 out of the 15 get broken.

I used the bradshaw ratings to decide which cabers would be used for each class.

What is the caber finishing technique, and what is the bradshaw rating?
Joel Sim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 6:21pm
Thanks Guys, it's by far not my first rodeo, BUT there's always something new to consider & as the AD I need to set my Judges up to succeed. I don't have a lot of very experienced judges so I try & make things as easy for my entire staff as possible. A feweek extra hours of work from me before the festival is priceless on game day.

Throw50,
Peel & sand enough of the caber to get to fresh wood. Soak it in a Linseed oil & turpentine mixture (3:1) for as much oil as it will drink. Towel off the excess & glue the cracks with titebond II. Coat in an outdoor spar finish, the more coats you have time to apply the better.

The Bradshaw rating is Length * weight * taper * 0.55, where taper is found by dividing the top of the caber from the bottom according to the balance point. This is used several places to help guide the Judges & Athletes but an AD should know his/her sticks & Athletes. As has been mentioned several times, this is a guide & the judges / athletes experience should be part of the deciding factor.

One thing not mentioned yet, as I read back through Juli's thread, is the function of the AD to set a limit on which stick the Atheyes can use. In my experience this applies to the Mens Ams as they want to keep trying the bigger sticks. AD's have to set a limit to protect both the Athlete & their cabers.
Sims66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sims66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 7:28pm
I had an epiphany... can someone write an app to rightly calculate the attempt angle based on a video of the attempt? All a side judge would need is a phone with the app. Don't save the video and move to the next person... thoughts?
Be at War with your vices, at peace with your virtues and begin each year a better person - Benjamin Franklin
Captain Slow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/21/16 at 1:06pm
That sounds a cracking idea. Judging the angle always causes issues at comps. Should have a bribe factor put in for fun.
Please, please, please dont f*ck about near or in electricity substations.
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/21/16 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Sims66 Sims66 wrote:

I had an epiphany... can someone write an app to rightly calculate the attempt angle based on a video of the attempt? All a side judge would need is a phone with the app. Don't save the video and move to the next person... thoughts?

I have seen some use an inclinometer or angle reader app on smart phones that relies on the accelerometer inside somehow (the one that rotates the screen display from portrait to landscape).  I remember it being used at MWC 2013 in Albuquerque for our group.

One problem with judging and measuring  from video is the angle from which you shoot the attempt.

In the last year or two, Merl Lawless and his judging crew have successfully used a digital angle reader to side judge caber tosses (Harbour Freight, about $20-$25, especially if you have one of their 20% off coupons).  When I asked him about the procedure last fall, he told me that his crew had (at the time) side judged over 150 caber tosses using the angle reader.  He was very enthusiastic about using them.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/16 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Borges Borges wrote:

In my opinion, selecting the 'right' stick for a group is one of the toughest tasks for any judge. Being able to consistently choose a stick that only gets turned by the top three or four people in a group is one of the hallmarks of a great judge.

This, and other posts, speak of "judges selecting cabers."  This indeed is a tough task, even when the caber is marked with the correct Bradshaw Scale (which it often is not.)  A much better system, l feel, is having the cabers pre-chosen by the AD.  l can simply look at last year's Games results and pick out the most suitable caber for each class.  The judge gets his/her scoring sheet and the best caber is already listed on it.  No unturnable cabers and no shoot-outs!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic