Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

athletes paying entree fee

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: athletes paying entree fee
    Posted: 3/30/16 at 2:05pm
question how many games charge the athlete to compete,how much?...and what do they recieve in return?..ie..lunch,tshirt,etc..?
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/16 at 4:34pm
Most games in New England have the athletes pay the entry fee to the festival...you get a tshirt usually and water/gatorade...games with better budgets give meal vouchers but thats about it....some games like Altamont treat athletes to the beer tent afterwards(love the Ad their Bill Schmitt,and before him Ted dandrow...they make sure the athletes are rewarded with liquid libations for their hard work entertaining the crowd
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/16 at 5:17pm
When I was an AD of a games in Mass...small not for profit games..nominal fee to me the AD..took my fee bought water,gatorade,t-shirts,hand towels and fruit for the athletes...wound up costing me money...you know why I did it was wanted the athletes to feel good and a couple hundred bucks wasnt going to make or break me
JUST BRING IT /

throwing stones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throwing stones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/16 at 8:08pm
dan this is scotty evidently i have 2 accounts on here lol...ive AD panama city fla and now my hometown game and i dont charge athletes at either and i do lunch,water,gatorade,weapons 3 deep and medals and yes i come outta pocket evey game...i asked the question because my board wants to charge athletes and give them a shirt but my point is tha twe are reeally just charging them for a shirt....i suggested if they wanted to have a shirt well we have pay pal etc they can pay with...ive been in the games since 2001 and only been to 2 games that charged...just getting some info before our plannin for next year...thanks
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/16 at 11:17am
I hear ya. One famous New England games when I started competing had an archaic rule that athletes had to park milestones away and take a shuttle bus(really ducked for logging equipment) but over a 3 year period the athletes took over a lot used by pipersCry. This game attracted numerous top 10 amtrs but the commitee really didn't care. We got our parking by force/even though we had to pay entry with nothing in return. If it wasn't for the quality of athletes going wouldn't have bothered. 
JUST BRING IT /

WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/31/16 at 10:08pm
Years ago, the Claw started inviting Pre-Elite Champs, Runners-up, Caber Champs, and field record setters to return and compete the following year.  They got travel money, $25 for expenses, and free registration.  Right off the bat, there were those who would send in an entry but not bother to show up on Games day.  They had signed up on the odd chance that they just might feel like competing that day or their work schedule might change.  What the hey, they weren't out anything if they didn't show!  They could care less that they might cause someone else to not be able to preregister!

l reinstated the $25 entry fee but raised their expense $$ to $50 and the number of no-shows went down dramatically.  They just had to have to have a dog in the fight!!  As much as l'd like to have the Claw be entry fee free, l just don't think that it would work out!

But we were talking about what they get for their entry fee.  Well, at the Claw, for $25 they get entry into the Games, a special t-shirt, lunch, lemonade or drink, medals, a class trophy, prize money (for Champions, Runners-up, Caber Champs, and new field record setters), being adjudicated by world class judges and scoring staff and an opportunity to get invited back the following year!!

Edited by WALLY.OLECIK - 4/01/16 at 9:38pm
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
scotty johnson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty johnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/16 at 8:37am
we make at the gate,on vendors,clans by charging them...i feel a majority of the people are here to see the athletics 1st,so i feel like we are making money off of them at the gate....i see it like college or highschool sports...we dont charge the team to get in the stadium ,and they get perks,food,jackets,trophies.maybe a simple way t look at it on my part?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/16 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by scotty johnson scotty johnson wrote:

i feel a majority of the people are here to see the athletics 1st...,

l wish that that were the case, but no!  Maybe it's just the majority of the people that you know that follow the athletics but the pipe bands draw the biggest crowds.  And they still pay entry feesThe athletics arena at the Claw seats 1700 spectators and it empties out during massed bands!

l hate that but that's just life!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

The Queen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Queen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/04/16 at 1:33am
The Portland Highland Games charges an Athlete Entry fee of $35, which gets the Athlete entry to the games on both Friday and Saturday, a t-shirt, Lunch, Water/Gatorade, plus the opportunity to compete and earn Medals and Overall Prizes.  
Nearly all Amateur Athletes pay an entry fee to compete in events: Runners, Bicyclists, Golfers, Strongmen and Women, etc.  Even High School Students have to pay a fee to be a part of the school team.  These fees help cover the costs of having the event.  

swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/16 at 12:56am
Originally posted by WALLY.OLECIK WALLY.OLECIK wrote:

Originally posted by scotty johnson scotty johnson wrote:

i feel a majority of the people are here to see the athletics 1st...,

l wish that that were the case, but no!  Maybe it's just the majority of the people that you know that follow the athletics but the pipe bands draw the biggest crowds.  And they still pay entry feesThe athletics arena at the Claw seats 1700 spectators and it empties out during massed bands!

l hate that but that's just life!!
Wally the Massed pipe bands are only for a small period of time whereas the Heavies draws a crowd throughout the whole weekend.  In Victoria the Heavy Events gets the biggest crowd out of everything at the games,  during the challenge caber you can here our crowd at the other end of the park (the dance chair was just telling me last week she always regrets missing it because she can hear the roar of the crowd at the dance stage) but that is because we have promoted it and built it up in the local community each year.  Ever walk over to the piping area when the massed pipe bands are not playing, not many people over there watching their whole competition.  
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/16 at 1:02am
In Victoria we charge an entry fee of $30 and the athlete gets a t-shirt, entry into the games for the whole weekend, water, Beaver Buzz (Canadian energy drink), certified judges, and trophies for the overall.  From looking at other sports entry fee for Highland Games are pretty low, most strongman comps I have seen the entry fees are $75 or more.  

With all the work that an AD does to put on the games and make sure everything goes smoothly I don't think he should be paying out of pocket for anything, not saying I never have but it should not happen.  
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/09/16 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by swollenknuck swollenknuck wrote:

With all the work that an AD does to put on the games and make sure everything goes smoothly I don't think he should be paying out of pocket for anything...,

This goes without saying but here it is again anyway!  A Games is terribly shortsighted if it does not properly fund its athletic events.  They need to be reminded that the title "Games" refers to the athletics.  Without the athletics, it's just a festival!!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic