FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Insurance for Highland Games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insurance for Highland Games
    Posted: 4/13/16 at 4:28pm
If you are hosting a Highland Game event only, or a one day festival with Highland games. What liability insurance type/coverage/company do you get it from?  Cost?

Throw Far! Throw Loud!
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/16 at 8:04pm
I went with what I was comfortable with given the size of our field, number of contestants, and our crowd size expected.

Remember if someone gets smucked whether it be an athlete, volunteer, or someone in the crowd they will sue the game, the land owner, and you just to name a few.  Thankfully we preach safety, safety, safety and have not had this be an issue.

Watch your event line up and know the capabilities of your throwers.  Scope out their throws on NASGA (great resource) and not just their word.  I have reconfigured my throwing grounds from year to year depending on whether jackwagons like Mike Dickens or Nate Parker or John Pilling or even one of the Crawford brothers are going to compete.

A million dollars is always a good start.
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
Gerry Reynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerry Reynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/16 at 6:08am
Here at Inverness we measure World Record plus 25% for our safety zones 
As usual - it is what you have got protecting your crowd, judges and competitors from the hammer and that ridiculous spinning WOB technique that deserves most attention on the field
City of Inverness (Scotland) Highland Games Secretary July 1999 - present.
Montana View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/16 at 11:43am
I agree with both of the replies.  I have been hosting small backyard games for the past five years, and haul my gear to a couple of festivals throughout the summer.  I always have the liability waiver for the athletes and discuss what you posted about safety.  Thankfully, I've never had an safety issue.  We decided to go a little bigger this year and have food vendors, beer, piping demo, kids highland game practice, etc.  I got 2 million insurance through Event Helper website.  City law required 1.5 million liability.  Cost right under $300 for a one day event.  

Throw Far! Throw Loud!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic