Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Caber rating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caber rating
    Posted: 4/25/16 at 1:42pm
Who remembers how to rate how many points a caber is worth? I have one I am making and would like to paint all its details on it, but have no idea how to determine its points. I remember there was supposed to be some equation...?
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/16 at 3:11pm
I hate it when both my NASGA search button and my Google search don't work too...

Here it is, but I'd search on here because this has been discussed a bunch (at least 5 threads I can remember) and you'll get different opinions and formulas (iirc, mark mcvey posted one a while back). 

Quote The caber rating is L*W*T (women) and .55*L*W*T (men), where L is length in feet, W is weight in pounds, and T is taper factor, calculated as follows: balance caber (find center of gravity). T=U/L, where U is the length from CG to the fat end, and L is length from CG to lower end.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/25/16 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I hate it when both my NASGA search button and my Google search don't work too...

I know, right? So frustrating!

Thanks for the help.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/26/16 at 6:43am
My $0.02 on this subject: in applying this formula for a full range of athletes over a number of competitions with many cabers, I've found that it doesn't properly account for caber length. If two cabers have the same rating figure, the longer is tougher to turn. The simplest modification is to multiply by length:

Rating = L^2 * W * T

This will mess up the numbers (a pro caber will now rate more like 30,000), but the purpose is to permit comparing cabers in a meaningful way.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic