FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Happy 40th Anniversary NASGA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy 40th Anniversary NASGA
    Posted: 5/02/16 at 7:52pm
I'm posting this on behalf of the Legend:

40 years ago on the first Saturday morning in May before the Savannah Games, the NASGA was formed. In the 70’s and 80’s, the athletic events “were the Scottish Games” because of their novelty and rarity. Heading the meeting was Ed Holcomb, AD of the Charleston Games and Gordon Varnadoe of the Savannah Games. Two purposes: first to get some standardization of the rules and secondly to get the Pro Athletes their share of the prize money.

Present were Fred Vaughan, who would become the first American to win a game in Scotland. He was also the first American to throw 40’ and 80’. Ron Short who would win over 100 Caber events when we had less than 10 games a year. Pete Hoyt who Sports Illustrated listed as the U.S. Beer Keg record holder. He had been shot, discus and hammer thrower in college. Rev. Arnold Pope, caber tosser, weight lifter who has lifted into his eighties. Gordon Varnadoe, caber tosser, highland wrestler and sports promoter. He was in the latest master 75-79 weight lifting. Ed McComas at 42, that year would win the world masters shot and discus.

In August of that year, Vaughan, Short and McComas would go to Scotland and learn how to throw and the rules.

Pro’s special thanks to Vaughan, Hoyt and Varnadoe for their effort of getting money into the game,

Most important thanks to Kurt Pauli who established the NASGA site and his maintaining of the site.

Ed McComas
-Admin
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/16 at 2:38pm
Thanks Ed, Kurt, Jim, Fred, Pete and everybody else who's had a hand in helping out this sport. Happy birthday NASGA!
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/03/16 at 5:56pm
WOW!  40 years already!  Seems like just the other day!!

Clap  HAPPY ANNlE!!  Beer
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
Larry Satchwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Satchwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/04/16 at 8:36pm
Thanks Kurt for this site and thanks to the founders. Great guys I miss seeing. Satch
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/16 at 8:12am
Have used and enjoyed this site for so many years now.  Thank you
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/16 at 9:19am
I am grateful for this branch of my chosen family.   It is an invaluable resource for training, morale, and community.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/16 at 2:08pm
Hey-

We are all deeply indebted to the men and women who helped build this site and this sport.

Thanks and good luck in the next decades.

-K
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/16 at 5:27am
Thank you everyone.  Lot of awesome history contained here.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Harvey B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/16 at 12:01pm
Those were the days my friend, I can remember Ken Fisher (R.I.P) and I couldn't wait to get our hands on the results and locations of the games. A lot of driving through the night to make the opening throw on Saturday morning. Congrats on 40 years and many more to come.
The power of Zeus
Grudaire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grudaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/16 at 6:06pm
Had it not been for the Altamont Highland Games, you and Ken never would have known about the Welli Boot Chuck in Kingston, Ontario as well.
The cabar wasn't too big, you weren't strong enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic