Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Stone- Distances with varying weights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stone- Distances with varying weights
    Posted: 5/15/16 at 9:39am
I have about 5 stones that I throw, ranging from about 12lbs up to 24lbs or so. When my strength training cycles are heavier or higher volume, I prefer to throw lighter stones due to it being easier on my elbow. I do understand that the competition weight must be thrown more frequently in-season, but I find the lighter stone great for developing foot work and speed.

HOWEVER, I feel like the distance drop is greater than it should be from light to heavy. I can routinely throw my 12 over 60', but my 18 only about 40' and my 24 about 33. Partly I think this could be due to the shape of the stone and how well it feels in the hand, but I think I'm missing something.

Any ideas what would lend to such a drop from the ultra light stuff to the competition weight stuff? Is it as simple as speed?
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/16 at 10:20am
Well, the 24# is twice as heavy as the 12#, so all else being equal, it seems like you would get half the distance from a stone twice as heavy (or thereabouts).  

Are the throws you describe all standing throws (no approach)?

My hammers used to be much closer to being proportional by weight with the 16# (heavy) hammer being the reference distance (16#, 12#, and 9#), although I never could get the 9# to go nearly as far as the proportion would suggest.  The WFD is not quite as proportional for me either with the 28# or 21# compared to 14#. 

Stones for me are the worst: I don't get anywhere near as far proportionally with an open stone (standing or approaching) compared to my Braemar stone.  My best biomechanical guess is that the energy used to accelerate my body reduces the amount I can apply to the stone.  I'm working on it, however.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/16 at 12:09pm
Tough to compare with stones of greatly varying weight. Some old school shot putters say that you should test an #18 ball and a #14 ball against your #16. Whichever is closer to your #16 is the one you should work the most because you lack strength in one case and speed in the other.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
jwalla16 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwalla16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/16/16 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Borges Borges wrote:

Tough to compare with stones of greatly varying weight. Some old school shot putters say that you should test an #18 ball and a #14 ball against your #16. Whichever is closer to your #16 is the one you should work the most because you lack strength in one case and speed in the other.

This is a wonderful tip. I will test this. But, as the above poster noted, stones are all different, and the shape could hold you back as much as the weight.
DJTennison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJTennison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/16 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Borges Borges wrote:

this is awesome!

Like the above posters too, I've found the shape of the stone is as much if not more responsible for my distances varying in games... In training, I would play around with the weights and take this approach. I've found that training with a heavier open stone has added some distance to my throws as i train with an 18lb shot very often. 
Alaska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/16 at 2:27pm
Excellent tip! I'll take that and run with it. I think I'm on the right track. My 18lb stone is really similar in shape to the games stone, so I'll use that one on a regular basis and let it fall where it falls.

I only compete in one games, and the stone is always the same, so sticking with the closest thing I can find to that seems smart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic