FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Lightweight Records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight Records
    Posted: 6/07/16 at 11:54am
Just a question for future reference... if a LW breaks a Record do they get re-weighed as well to make sure they are still a LW when the implement was thrown?

Edited by bigirish01 - 6/07/16 at 3:21pm
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 12:02pm
NO
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 12:04pm
Cool.... But wondering what Carlos thinks about it
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 12:35pm
Doesn't matter what Carlos thinks about it(if you only wanted his opinion why not PM him) rules state only weigh in the am pre-games(some masters games weigh in the nite before) that is unless your getting the pot ready so it can be stirred. LOL
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 12:49pm
Im not looking for an issue here. Ive never seen this addressed before. Im just looking for more then one opinion. Thanks
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 2:12pm
Then address the guys that keep the lightweight records..they have a page on FB(Mark Howe,Mark Mcavoy,Farr I think are involved)  carlos doesnt deal with lightweight rules

JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 3:25pm
I have a better idea. Why don't you stop telling me how to approach this. I've heard your answer. Now I'm waiting for some others.( Not just Carlos)
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 4:25pm
BITE ME!
JUST BRING IT /

Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 5:21pm
Careful Jay, the lightweights get grumpy from lack of food.

And now a list of things I care less about than lightweight records:

1) Masters records
2) ????

Can't think of anything else.

Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
berby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 5:25pm
Lol
litlchiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote litlchiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 5:36pm
Rules only state they get weighed before the competition starts. Just like any other sport, after they are weighed they put some weight back on. I don't think they can put much weight back on because they have to weigh in no more than 3 hours before competition starts. 
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by litlchiz litlchiz wrote:

Rules only state they get weighed before the competition starts. Just like any other sport, after they are weighed they put some weight back on. I don't think they can put much weight back on because they have to weigh in no more than 3 hours before competition starts. 

Not true. Some games let them weigh in the day before. And there isn't even general agreement as to whether it's under 190 or under 200.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
litlchiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote litlchiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/16 at 5:53pm
your right some games let them weigh in early, if the games let them weigh in the day before, then the scores will count on NASGA but will not count towards LW national championships. And if I remember correctly world record throws would not count as well.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 10:19am
Ive seen LWs gain 8-12 pounds in a matter of hours
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 10:48am
Do they reweigh boxers/mma fighters/weightlifters after their competition? I'm fine as an AD/judge with the athlete weighing in before the comp and then not reweighing after a record
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 10:57am
Well since I've gotten so much great input here...as usual. We will be weighing the Athletes to verify and records.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 12:11pm
At the Rio Grande Valley Celtic Games Grant, Chad and staff did not reweigh Teresa after she broke several records.  
I think Dan makes a good point, in other sports they do not reweigh after a comp. 

What about powerlifting?  Do they reweigh if someone breaks a class record?
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 12:42pm
So basically an athlete who barely makes weight at day of games weigh in, can throw set a record but must be carefull not to drink too much gatorade/ water (or eat breakfast or lunch)because if he's over the 200(or 190) limit by days end his record wouldn't count. That is idiotic! Let them make weight the day of the games and your good to go. Jay why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? Did you contact the lightweights on FB page and run your ludicrous idea by them? I'm sure they would give you an earfull
JUST BRING IT /

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 12:46pm
All I did was pose the question..... Of course the LWs would oppose it.
If you are a true LW would it matter? If you have to lose weight to enter a class and then worry that you drink too much fluid ... your probably not a LW...
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

What about powerlifting?  Do they reweigh if someone breaks a class record?
No, I've never seen it happen in USAPL (however, the person might get selected for drug test).
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
berby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 2:33pm
I have gained 19 pounds well on the field after weigh-ins. And it still doesn't matter it's all part of the game
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 2:47pm
Lightweights are required to weigh in within 3 hours preceding the competition. Once they have successfully made weight, they are eligible for records and invitations to championships. This is how it has been in the past, and as far as i know nothing has changed. I've never heard of a lightweight being weighed in again to verify a record, but I can see where the question came from. For anyone with questions regarding the rules for lightweights, there are a couple good recourse that I would suggest turning to. Adam Larson and Mark Howe have set up a Web page that has all the rules outlined that differ from the heavy weights, and either one of them would probably be happy to answer your questions. Another good resource would be to ask the AD for the current years Lightweight National Championships. This Year it is Joel Simm. Being the AD for the championships requires that person to be knowledgeable of the rulings for Lightweights, and I'm sure they would be happy to answer questions as well. There is also a Lightweight Highland Games facebook page that I'm certain holds more interest in this subject than the NASGA forum. Sending Carlos a PM would also be a good option if you're looking for his requirements for <190 records, but I have a feeling the answer will be the same, as I've never heard of him requiring an athlete to weigh in for a second time after the record was broken.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 2:50pm
^^^ Now at least that's a good constructive answer... Thanks Scott
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 2:53pm
Not a problem!
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 2:57pm
Actually Scott, in the years I worked as an AD I never allowed a lightweight class on the field. I'm a traditionalist. The only thing that should ever be weighed on the field is a throwing implement.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 3:18pm
and FYI : In Powerlifting lifters will be re-weighed in the case of a Tie. So it does happen. Throwing is not lifting however. Lightweight class is fairly new and rules are not set.
If you are a true LW it shouldn't matter when you are weighed. Your class is defined by your Weight.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
Slfarr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slfarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 3:30pm
My mistake, Calros. I was thinking of AGM. I assumed the question was directed at the man in charge of keeping the world record page up to date. I have no qualms with you not running lightweight classes. That's your decision as the AD of your games and your decision has my respect. If an athlete wants to compete as a lightweight, they will have to find a games with a lightweight class.
swollenknuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swollenknuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/16 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

BITE ME!

Wow, what a constructive response.  It is no wonder that hardly no one ever uses this forum anymore.  It is sad that a few have ruined what used to be a great resource for throwers.  Is there even a moderator on here anymore?
Ray Siochowicz

AD Victoria Highland Games Association

www.victoriahighlandgames.com

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/16 at 11:39am
Originally posted by swollenknuck swollenknuck wrote:

Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

BITE ME!

Wow, what a constructive response.  It is no wonder that hardly no one ever uses this forum anymore.  It is sad that a few have ruined what used to be a great resource for throwers.  Is there even a moderator on here anymore?

+1
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
berby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/16 at 7:01pm
I have never seen a re weighing at a powerlifting meet ever.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic