Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

NASGA Forum Dead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Sim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/17/16 at 3:43pm
Thanks guys.

I've reminded everyone on my Utah Throwers fb page about this forum, & I'll start directing more of the newbies I meet here also.
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/18/16 at 10:43am
dont post much except for in my own log, but Nasga 2016 > Nasga 2015.
seems to be on the rebound a bit, I'd say this thread illustrates that.
jammin on the one.
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/19/16 at 10:00am
Agreed, Jasen. Years from now, scores of historians will look back at 2015 as being a low ebb in NASGA history. Kinda like America in 1968.
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by JoelT39 JoelT39 wrote:

I'm with Jay. Life is just too short to be criticized by someone no where near a top level so the best move on. These people may have something good to contribute but sometimes it's better to listen and ask constructive questions then talk. 

Joel, if I followed that rule during competition, you guys would think it was too quiet on the field ;)

Like Craig said, I think there's honestly less trolls here than on a lot of places. But really, highland games attracts a lot of weirdos and LARPer types.

Be honest. How many Mjolnir tats and pendants did you really think you'd see in a lifetime? Cuz I'm way over quota. And I'm not talking Bobby Dodd's gear.

Any activity that brings out that crowd is gonna push out some of the overly serious.

I'm lookin at you, track guys ;)
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 3:40pm
Sean... Ive been on the field with you.. we were a good match for shit talkin...lol
However, there is activity that brings a crowd and activity that shuns a crowd...
At first it was funny.... "hey did you here how so and so dissed that guy?"
But then it gets old... and no one wants to have to deal with it.
The Proof is the decrease in Pros and other top athletes posting here.

Sure the Forum isn't dead..... Its got a great database and calendar...
but if there's a few trolls that control the complexion of a thread.... it starts to make people think twice.
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 4:26pm
Sean, we defiantly don't want you quiet on the field, it would probably mean there was something VERY wrong. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/16 at 10:07am
Originally posted by bigirish01 bigirish01 wrote:

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

If someone is trying to throw 45'+ in the HWFD, how much help is the guy that throws 25' gonna be? 

The question is.... if someone is throwing the HWFD 25' How much help can the guy throwing 45' be?

I think the question was phrased correctly by Craig.

He's talking about people that *want* to throw 45ft HWD and then people who are only throwing 25ft being aggressive about how their way is the best evar.

I don't necessarily disagree with you either though about 45ft throwers helping 25ft throwers (HWD, obv). There are some big throwers that keep it (knowledge) to themselves (or PPV only) which, unfortunately, doesn't do anything for the sport or it's rising athletes.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/16 at 12:21pm
But Jake! How are people going to rake in the massive dough that flows freely in highland games if they just GIVE away the gems? ;)
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/16 at 4:17pm
I'll give all the gems away to anyone that is willing to make an effort to get them. 
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/16 at 12:13pm
Students of the sport tend to find a way. Athletes, especially technical ones, love flapping their gums about this stuff. It's fun to dissect and compare notes.

Most just don't make it enough of an area of study. "Throw harder" is a huge hit with a lot of the folks out there.

But back to the original topic...forums in general are a ton slower than they used to be, but there's information here and still some "if you build it, they will come" effects, even in this place.

Start up some decent topics and you might be surprised who or what crawls out of the woodwork for it.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/16 at 7:59pm
Glad to see you back posting Sean.

Here comes old timer back in the day rant, As someone who waited for the next issue to come out, or called information and found the person and called them and asked them questions way back in the day, I find it comical that people have trouble finding info when so much at the click of a button is available.  And if you go out and treat people decent and build relationships they will bend over backwards to help you.  I drove one day from Alabama to Ohio to practice as I thought it would help me.  Amazing how the more you try the luckier you get. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
MrPeanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrPeanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/28/16 at 9:54am
It's not dead. I visit on a regular basis.

Folks just need to remember the Highland Games community is relatively small.

This forum has been very helpful for me.

Even a broken old man can learn to throw a hammer. I ain't dead yet!
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/16 at 4:43pm
When all else fails, the Wayback Machine is always a treat, especially if you are jonesing for some late 90s NASGA.

Homepage:

https://web.archive.org/web/19981212031236/http://www.nasgaweb.com/

Message Board circa 2000 (check the author of the top post): 

https://web.archive.org/web/20000823144919/http://www.nasgaweb.com/messageboard/index.html

1997-1999 Games Results:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000823144939/http://www.nasgaweb.com/results/index.html

The news and notes are always enjoyable, too. Sorry about my lack of linking skills.

"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/16 at 8:53pm
Beau, I am in nostalgic heaven. I had no idea this all existed! Brilliant, thank you. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/16 at 9:29pm
Let's bring her back.  

My mom used to say, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". 

I've seen a more recent equivalent....Don't be a dick.
Ryan Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ryan Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/13/16 at 6:08pm
This is my first time here in probably 6 months. Miss the old NASGA. NASGA before trolls. Really comes down to the same 3 trolls every time. Facebook isn't to blame, people went there to avoid the trolls. Two of the three don't have Facebook and the other has no friends so he can't comment. Been real nice. If there was a way to just eliminate these guys on here I think it would come back to life. If not.. it will remain dead.
John Gallagher- "MASS MOVES MASS"
Rob Logan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/16 at 4:40pm
I have enjoyed reading Craig's log, from the beginning, all of his surgeries and whatever else.

Jake's log is good for technique and a lot of tips. but if you don't know wtf he is saying with regards to positions and specific parts in a throw it won't make sense.

I would say the lack of content is one reason why YouTube is more popular now than forms. You can YouTube search "light weight for distance throw" and have 100s of videos show up. Some are good videos and some are not so good. Instead of asking a random person on a form that doesn't seem very populated, who knows if you will even get a response and instead you can just go to YouTube and watch how it is done.

Same thing for Instagram too. At the end of the day, people just need to sign up for a game and learn to throw. That isn't a flashy answer but more than likely that's gonna be the answer they get if they post here.

Gym
https://www.facebook.com/Stout.Barbell?fref=ts

Training videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/xb100

vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/16 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Beau Fay Beau Fay wrote:

Message Board circa 2000 (check the author of the top post): 

still posting the same types of updates and getting the info out there, thats long term commitment for sure.
jammin on the one.
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/18/16 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Ryan Stewart Ryan Stewart wrote:

This is my first time here in probably 6 months. Miss the old NASGA. NASGA before trolls. Really comes down to the same 3 trolls every time. Facebook isn't to blame, people went there to avoid the trolls. Two of the three don't have Facebook and the other has no friends so he can't comment. Been real nice. If there was a way to just eliminate these guys on here I think it would come back to life. If not.. it will remain dead.

Boom! This is the truth!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic