FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Stone putters Came to Iowa Irish Fest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stone putters Came to Iowa Irish Fest
    Posted: 8/07/16 at 10:13pm
Field records at Iowa Irish fest are respectable as the likes of Luke Crowley and Nathan Burchett have thrown at this event.

The match up could be termed weight throwers vs stone throwers with Josh Roslik and Ross Bunchek being the weight throwers and a bevy of stone throwers (Gavin Ball, Julian Vandervelde, Dan Jessop, and Taylor Hurry) coming to town. 

Braemar:
4 people broke the field record - 1. Gavin Bell, 2. Julian Vandervelde, 3. Ross Bunchek 4. Dan Jessop

Open Stone: 1. Julian Vandervelde, 2. Gavin Ball, 3. Dan Jessop, 4. Ross Bunchek

Interesting so far as the stone putters nailing the top spots -- Now for the weights.  Unfortunately, it is a shitty tiny field not conducive for big throws -- Was not going to contest LWFD but they decided to use the 42#:

HWFD (56#) 1. Ross Bunchek, 2. Josh Roslik,  3. Gavin Ball, 4. Julian Vandervelde

LWFD (42#) 1. Ross Bunchek, 2. Gavin Ball,  3.  Josh Roslik 4. Dan Jessop

A tight race so far with Gavin 8 pts, Ross 9 pts, Julian 12 pts, Josh and Dan both at 17pts.

Sheaf up next and it put a hurting on the order - It was a repeat of last year's shot out between Josh and Ross both getting close to topping the uprights and the crowd was eating it up.  This year, Josh beats out Ross.  Kris Davis Grabs 3rd, Dan Jessop and Julian Vandervelde finish 4th and 5th.  Gavin "I think he hates Sheaf" Ball no height the event (ouch).

Ross 11 pts, Gavin 17 pts, Julian 17 pts, and Josh Roslik at 18 pts

WOB followed -  1. Gavin Ball,  2. Ross Bunchek,  3.  Josh Roslik, 4. Julian Vandervelde

Ross 13 pts, Gavin 18 pts, Julian 21 pts, and Josh Roslik at 21 pts

Caber and stupid stone is left

Caber - used two cabers, the final caber is a short pig - 16'1", little taper, 125 plus pounds, and 927 pts

Ross Crushed that caber w/ 2 12:00 and Gavin scored a 2:30 for second place followed by - Matt Faltis, Josh Roslik, and Julian Vandervelde

Ross 14 pts, Gavin 20 pts, Josh  25 pts and Julian 26 pts

Yup, the stupid stone is in competition -- it is a light stone, just 70lbs

Gavin wins and adds 1' to the field record beating out Julian by 1 inch, both taken on the final throw; followed by Ross, Josh and Dan Jessop.

Overall 1. Ross Bunchek, 2. Gavin Ball
, 3. Julian Vandervelde, 4. Josh Roslik
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Hapy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hapy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/16 at 11:54am
Very cool. Thanks for the write up!
Real Men Wear Purple

Tinky Winky Throw Far!

Central Vermont Strength Association
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/16 at 11:43pm
Now for the Ladies turn!

The women who attempted to defy gravity with feats of strength and agility at the Iowa Irish Fest were a diverse lot this year.

It was two contests in one: Super A women of Amanda Owens, Candice Mann, and Victoria Bunchek competed with newer throwers Jenn Bruns and 16 yr old Alisha “I won’t date a boy who can’t out throw me” Braden.

They were joined by Midwest master women throwers Jen Leach Charlesworth, Teresa Merrick, and Kate Brown.

Just like the men’s side, the field records are respectable because this event has been lucky enough to have some superb women throw here.

Despite the small field size, we tried to keep the women like the A men as close to traditional order as possible.

Braemar Stone

Women As: 1. Amanda Owens, 2. Victoria Bunchek, and 3. Candice Mann … Amanda was close to taking Candice field record.

Women Masters: 6. Jen Charlesworth, 7. Kate Brown, 8. Teresa Merrick

Open Stone:

As: 1. Amanda Owens, 2. Victoria Bunchek, and 3. Candice Mann again!! Nebraska Stone dominance! Amanda increased the field record by 3%, with a very nice 43’ 4.5” put.

Masters: 6. Jen Charlesworth, 7. Kate Brown, 8. Teresa Merrick – Order déjà vu

HWFD
{I am not a big fan of handicap throwing (Masters throw the 21 lb against the amateurs’ 28lb weight ) in a non nine-event games. However, I get to support some great masters throwers by doing this.}

As: 1. Victoria, 3. Amanda, and 4. Candice
Masters: 2. Jen, 5. Kate, 6. Teresa

NO Light weight for Distance due to small field size

Over all after three events:
As: Amanda 5 pts, Victoria 5 pts, and Candice 10 pts
Masters: Jen 14 pts, Kate 19 pts, Teresa 22 pts

Height events are up next!!!

SHEAF

I am sorry, but 12’ is a ridiculously and stupidly to low starting height for sheaf. Next year, if you want to start at 12’, then you will be throwing the 12lb sheaf rather than the 10lber! Or maybe I will go back to the golden age and use the men's light sheaf of 16lbs.  Okay, got my rant out of me. Bad Santa!

Remember, it is about who is the best not about getting a mark. BTW, everybody cleared 14'!!!!

Now back to the event!!
The crowd gets into the sheaf event, tiny field with bleachers and those bleachers are all full with people standing around watching. A great atmosphere for height events!

As – shoot out between Candice and Victoria was great, with these ladies emptying their gas tank a bit with an ending height of 26’ After this event was over, the cross bar was set at 6” over 12# record but the sheaf magic was gone. Sorry for putting you ladies on the spot!
Victoria 1st, Candice 2nd, Amanda 3rd.

Masters: Teresa 5.5, Jen 7th, Kate 8th

Over all after four events:

tight overall competition in both groups
As: Victoria 6 pts, Amanda 8 pts, and Candice 12 pts
Masters: Jen 21 pts, Kate 27 pts, Teresa 27.5 pts

WOB – standing only
A’s: Victoria Bunchek wins it with a monster 16’ toss setting a new field record, followed by Amanda and Candice.

Masters throwing their 21lb weight: Jen Charlesworth and Kate brown tied at 12’ with Jen winning on count-backs.

Over all after five events:
As: Victoria 7 pts, Amanda 10 pts, and Candice 15 pts (looks like a battle for 1st)

Masters: Jen 25 pts, Kate 32 pts, Teresa 33.5 pts (looks like a battle for 3rd best masters)

Caber time – I have a hard time judging cabers for women, my apologies for the open stick (13'11", 53#, 485 pts), which was to big of an opening stick for an open class.

A’s : Amanda clocked a 12:00 and 2:00 turns, Candice nailed one for 12:30 and Victoria turned it twice at 1:00.

Nobody else turned this stick. Pulled out the second stick, which was a 15'-5", 50#, 543 pts, a very turnable caber but no turns on this stick. You will get revenge on it at QC games. The day was getting long!

Over all after six events w/ just the stupid stone to go:
As: Victoria 10 pts, Amanda 11 pts, and Candice 17 pts -- as it should be, coming down to the last event!!!

Masters: Jen 31 pts, Kate 38 pts, Teresa 39.5 pts

Irish two handed super heavy stone throw – a.k.a. STUPID STONE { If I had a sand pit, I would use a heavier stone but on grass, a lighter stone makes differentiate the throws a bit easier rather than making it about the mark. }

Victoria, using her Portland Stone experience launches a 17’-4” throw on her first throw breaking her field record of 16’. Amanda rose to the challenge on her second throw with a toss of 17’-6.5” toss and followed it with 17’-7” toss on her last throw. Candice finished third.

Masters - Jen 12’-10”, Kate 11’-5”, Teresa 9’-8”

Over all:
As: Amanda Owens 12 pts, Victoria Bunchek 12 pts, and Candice Mann 20 pts with Amanda winning based on more 1st place finishes

Masters: Jen Charlesworth 43 pts, Kate Brown 45 pts, Teresa Merrick 47.5 pts

So the question becomes, if I ran a masters division, would the results change? ANSWER - NO

A’s: Amanda 11 pts, Victoria, 12 pts, Candice 19 pts

Masters: Jen Charlesworth 9 pts, Kate Brown 15 pts, Teresa Merrick 18 pts

--------------------------------------------------------------
Like the men, you ladies rocked the field with an entertaining competition.

Special thanks to Candice for stepping in and doing a professional job of judging and to Victoria for helping work the crowd.
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic