Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Masters World Championship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleGehman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masters World Championship
    Posted: 5/24/17 at 2:27pm

Recently some have asked if I was going to the Masters World Championships in Iceland next month. It looks like the answer is no, because I’m not invited. Here’s the full story.

January 3 I signed up for MWC, and was told by the Eventbrite website that registration was full, and I was on the wait list. Now, according to the MWC website, the registration period is January, so not only did I sign up within the parameters, I was relatively early in that.

I’ve seen how people have fallen off the MWC sign-up list in past years. Because of injury, etc, there are often drop outs, and I wasn’t concerned that there would not be a spot for me. On January 31 I emailed Kevin Rogers directly, asking about getting to the start list, so I could make travel plans. He said he wanted to help, and that he’d release my entry on the website. That never happened. I tried multiple times to register, and told Kevin that I was unable to get past the registration website. The last contact I had from Kevin was February 1, saying that he didn’t see my registration on the website.

During our contact, I had told Kevin that my dad had passed on 12/26/2016, and that I had been in Ohio with family dealing with that, and that was part of the reason why I hadn’t signed up sooner. His response was “Sorry to hear about your father. Its been 4 years since I lost my mother and it still hurts. I released your ticket back on Jan 5 .... please look for an email from Eventbrite on that date with a link to take your spot and register.”

I assumed I was ok, even though I never got the Eventbrite email, and wasn’t able to pay. I did send a few more emails offering to pay to finalize my entry, but I never heard anything back. I’m glad I didn’t take my acceptance on faith and book two $900 plane tickets.

I still haven’t heard anything. There’s been no update on the MWC website regarding changes to the start list. Last week, I emailed Bill Scruggs, who started MWC, asking for his help, and still, nothing.

So, here we are, one month out, and I have no indication that I’m on the list to go, as I was told I was. The only thing I see is that I’m on the wait list, as are 14 others. And I’m pissed.

I get that our sport has no governing body to appeal to, and, for that matter, neither does the MWC. Kevin has final say and can do whatever he wants. That’s reality. But what should be a World Championship has become a Fun-Event-in-an-Exotic-Place-with-the-People-Who-Were-Best-at-Signing-Up-Fast. I’m not the only one affected by this, and quite realistically, 2 of the top 3 rated throwers in our Men’s 55-59 age group won’t be going because we are both still on the wait list. And the other thrower is a past MWC champ! I’ve been on the podium 2 of the last 3 years! How can anyone justify a system that fails to let the top throwers into a class when they followed the rules and signed up within the allotted time? For me, one of the biggest draws here was the World Championship aspect. How many times in life do we ever have a chance to either compete for, or even win a World Championship?

I’ve waited 5 years for this one. In 2012, I missed the 50-54 age group by 2 weeks. This time, I’d have turned 55 two weeks before the MWC. For me, it meant a chance to not have studs like Berle Conrad and Brett Abbot in my class, for once. Don’t get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed competing against Berle (2 MWC wins), Brett (1 MWC win), Gene Flynn (2 MWC wins), Alistair Gunn (1 MWC win), Mark McDonald (2 MWC wins), Chris Rusher, Randy McClure, and a bunch of others. They’re great guys and great throwers. They are also a little younger than me, and this was my first chance in a long time to get away from them (except Mark), and step up to throw against Myles, Rick, Hans, and Eric, also previous champions. But that’s not going to happen. Disappointed? You bet. Feeling strung along and discarded? Ditto.

I have nothing against those who did make the cut. Throw well, and I’ll miss seeing you all. I’ve supported the MWC since 2005, only missing the two years in which I had back and shoulder surgeries. I’m not special, and I’m not asking for special treatment, but I have established my credentials as a legit contender, with 3 third-place finishes, and I’ve finished top-4 or better since 2010. Two weeks ago at Beltane I hit numbers that would have won the 55-59 class at the Buffalo MWC last year. So, I deserve a chance to be there. And if the rules absolutely don’t allow that because I wasn’t sitting at my computer when the ball dropped New Year’s Eve, then I should have at least been told the straight story.

I’ve been disappointed in life before, and I’m sure the Lord will test me with more disappointments in this life. No biggie. But the MWC trophies I have, and the medals, and the patches I’ve worn on my kilt all these years, won’t mean to me what they used to.

Partner in JDJ Caber Co. "Proudly serving the Scottish Heavy Athlete with fine cabers for sale. No orders too large or too small."
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/17 at 3:28pm
Nt Kevin,but previous winners(MWC Champ) are exempt from qualifying ? No..that was the premise I was told...now Im just a hack but a 5th place finish with the top 4 spots being studs would be more rewarding than getting to the podium because guys arent in your class/missing  NO?
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/17 at 10:41am
Is it too late for me to sign up ? Dale, calm down bro.!
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/17 at 3:54pm
Dale-

Please accept my apologies for being so slow and late to your answer. You deserve to be in the competition since you are a top level athlete that I've known personally for many years, there is no doubt about that, but there was a mass entry on Jan 1 and your submission came in after we had already reached a limit. I told you that I'd try to get you in and I've not stopped that wait list yet.

I'll review all my records again this weekend to see if I can find a way to get you in. No excuses from me but no guarantees either. I'll close the waiting list if its not a workable solution to mass entry issues. It's tricky, and I honestly find it difficult to keep all my promises to get people in too.

Sorry for your frustration with me. I know that its not easy planning without knowing an answer from me. And I'm finding it harder and harder to spend all my free time with responding to questions and complaints. My response time has slowed way down compared to the early days. I guess my days are numbered managing this event. I'll retire soon and let some new blood run the MWC.

Good luck in your training,

-K

K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/17 at 4:19pm
Dale-

Good news, there were 2 athletes who dropped out of the M50-54 group for Iceland. That leaves us with 11 at the current time. We could likely get you in.

Are you still interested?

-K
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/17 at 4:20pm
D-

You are in the 50-54 age group, right?

-K
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/17 at 4:22pm
Oh, you're in the 55's ... sorry about that. 

I'll review the records for 55-59 next.

-K
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/17 at 4:32pm
Dale-

More good news, we currently have 9 athletes in the M55-59 and could get you in if you are interested.

However, we'll probably close the rest of the waiting list without getting the rest of the people in. I'll spend some more time on that final list this weekend.

Just let me know if you want to compete.

-K 
DaleGehman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleGehman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/17 at 7:59am
Kevin,

Thank you for the apology, and I appreciate your honesty. I'm sure it's not easy running WMC. I'll see if I can get a flight and let you know asap.

Dale
Partner in JDJ Caber Co. "Proudly serving the Scottish Heavy Athlete with fine cabers for sale. No orders too large or too small."
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/17 at 12:32pm
Your post is really almost insulting to athletes, at least to me.  I thought you threw with me at the worlds in Saline?  Or am I mistaken.  Just adding up numbers and saying your going to beat people is not right.  
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/17 at 3:39pm
Dale, how those flight plans going bro.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleGehman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/17 at 8:05pm
Myles, did not say I would win, just that I deserve a chance to go. There are four former champs in our class, so it is a tough group. And we threw together in Saline and Kansas. Good times.
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/28/17 at 2:19pm
Moonwalk .....
Bill Boyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Boyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/17 at 3:34pm
Dale,

I wouldn't let the process ruin this year's awesome MWC experience/locale. If I could throw like you, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Good luck!
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:03pm
Ya know Dale, when I read through this I thought, "awwww, that sucks." Even though, as a standing Masters World Champion and knowing that Kevin has said there is always room for Champion's I chose to register on morning 1 of day 1 to ensure my spot. It seems understandable you were occupied with family responsibilities but, yes, it's always better to get in there asafp.

I wondered why you didn't just find Kevin's phone number and handle this off-line but at the end of the day, who cares. Your letter here seemed heartfelt, even though I despise when anyone of any age uses the word "deserve." 

Your dedication to being a Masters thrower is unquestionable and your public appeal to maybe being in position to get the win this year seemed to work as I noticed your name on the start list.  Good on ya.

Imagine my surprise; however; at what has transpired in the last hour or two in regards to MASTER'S THOWERS at your own Games in Gaylord this upcoming weekend. I asked to throw Master's implements with Sue, Ruth, and Kate knowing it was incredibly late notice and was sincere when I thanked Jason for his getting me in so late. What I was NOT prepared for was the fact that, while we can throw Master's weights (and y'all are kind enough to measure our throws), all of our throws will be recorded as 0.

No scores. For throwing. Masters. Women? Yes, just women. Although I am making an assumption here that the Master's group (presumably Men Masters) will not be marked 0. 

Your sincerity and whining seems to be very "me" directional. That's fine. Gaylord is your and Jason's sandbox. But you came here and whined to whomever would listen about the disappointment of your situation which seems quite hypocritical. 

But I'm not whining. I'm just calling a hypocritical plea from a Masters thrower hypocritical. 

Juli Peterson
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/12/17 at 11:13pm
Julie,

I wish you had called me. anyway the classes offered at my game here in Gaylord are Masters, A, B, and Women. I do not have a Women's Master class. I was asked as a favor to allow for the throwing of Masters Women's implements, even though I do not offer the class, as a time up before MWC. I said okay but in the events that use a different implement they would get a zero. I was told that was okay as the wanted to throw as I was told to get ready for MWC. I wanted you to know where I stood.

I am sorry you are unhappy that I do not have a Women's Master class. I do think it unfair to demand to throw in a class that is not being contested. I cannot show up in Saline or Dublin and throw Light Weight if Merl or Rich do not offer the class.

this is not Dale' s decision. I am the AD. good luck in your training.

sincerely,

Jason Cherry
AD Gaylord
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/17 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Juli Peterson Juli Peterson wrote:

Gaylord is your and Jason's sandbox. 

Juli Peterson

Uh huh. To be fair, taking throwers money and telling them up front that they may throw but their throws will be recorded as a 0 is odd to me but hey, it was my choice to not attend.

My response is directed to Dale whom, even if his only role is as Assistant TO the athletic director obviously has a role in putting these Games on. Don't care that you don't have a Masters Womens
class. DO care that someone who basically whined enough on NASGA to get his way won't encourage an AD to extend some fairness for other Masters throwers. 

Juli Peterson

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaleGehman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/17 at 9:12am

Juli,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not coming. Last night Jason called me about your entry, and I was very enthusiastic to have you join us. I described to him when I met you, at the Arnold, and I how I enjoyed seeing you since at MWCs. As Jason described, we are only offering 4 classes, men’s A, B, master, and women. We’ve had a few senior women competitors ask about throwing the 21# rather than the 28#, for those 2 events, and our offer was to say that’s fine, but for purposes of the overall champion those 2 events would have no scores. It seemed like a reasonable accommodation when we didn’t have the resources to offer a full-on master women’s class, and we were told that was acceptable by the other affected throwers.

We’re pretty proud of the Gaylord Highland Games, and what it’s become in just 8 years. We do offer a women’s class, which not all competitions do. In fact, the women’s class is the largest this year we’ve ever had, and larger than the As, Bs, or masters. Can we do more to support women throwers? Probably. But we’ll need some help, and so we’ll keep a spot on the organizing committee open for you if you’d care to help us.

Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by DaleGehman DaleGehman wrote:

Juli,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not coming. Last night Jason called me about your entry, and I was very enthusiastic to have you join us. I described to him when I met you, at the Arnold, and I how I enjoyed seeing you since at MWCs. As Jason described, we are only offering 4 classes, men’s A, B, master, and women. We’ve had a few senior women competitors ask about throwing the 21# rather than the 28#, for those 2 events, and our offer was to say that’s fine, but for purposes of the overall champion those 2 events would have no scores. It seemed like a reasonable accommodation when we didn’t have the resources to offer a full-on master women’s class, and we were told that was acceptable by the other affected throwers.

We’re pretty proud of the Gaylord Highland Games, and what it’s become in just 8 years. We do offer a women’s class, which not all competitions do. In fact, the women’s class is the largest this year we’ve ever had, and larger than the As, Bs, or masters. Can we do more to support women throwers? Probably. But we’ll need some help, and so we’ll keep a spot on the organizing committee open for you if you’d care to help us.

First off--disclaimer: I was not at the Gaylord HG nor do I expect to attend in the future (outside of my travel radius).

However, it seems somewhat rigid to say that "we only offer a women's (open) class, so if we allow you master's age women to throw the lighter implements for those two affected events, you'll receive a '0' for your score".  If you are going to offer a men's master's class, you should better accommodate a women's master's class.

One format that we have used quite a bit in this part of the country is the Neis-style handicap open.  In this format, the class is a single women's class, but the master's women throw the 21# HWD and WOB.  Their throws (distance/height) are scored without regard to the difference in weight.  Therefore, a 30-foot HWD throw with the 21# weight beats a 28-foot throw with the 28# weight.  Of course, a 32-foot HWD throw with a 28# weight would beat the 30-foot thrown with the 21# weight.  And a 30-foot HWD throw with the 28# would tie in placing with the 30-foot 21# HWD throw.  The points placings in this style of Open class would be the same as if everyone threw the same weight, and the other events (LWD, hammers, stones, caber, and sheaf) would remain the same.

I hope the ADs at the Gaylord HG will consider using this format in the future to better accommodate the growing number of master's women throwers, especially if the event is going to offer a master's class for men.

Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/17 at 3:18pm
Straw man arguments. Nothing to do with my post. But by all means, talk amongst yourselves.

jp

tosabarbell.com
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/13/17 at 3:59pm
Sorry to have strayed off topic.
Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Biggmatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggmatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/15/17 at 9:31pm
Actually Jason, in the email you wrote my wife you wrote this:

"Also I do not have a woman's master class.  It is two flights of all women (scored together).  Sue, Ruth and Kate are going to throw the women's master weights (they are bringing the implements).  We will run the tape on the throws but a zero will be recorded for the overall.  Just want you to know ahead of time."

You are implying that NONE of the masters women's throws would count because you don't have a women's masters class. If you are going to count the other 6 (or 7) events and score them, what is the difference if you do the other 2?   I have helped enter scores from games.  It would take NO extra effort on your part.  

Matt Wanat 

jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/17 at 4:14pm
results?
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/17 at 4:26pm
M 40-44 Anrew Kirchen 2nd Rob Murderburg
M45-49 Mike Dickens 
Frank Henry won his class  
M under 200 40-49-Mark Howe  
W 40-44 Bomholtz(Germany),2nd Josee Morneu(canada),#rd Beth Burton(Usa) 4th Alison Tostvien(Maine) 
W 45-49 Erica Hay 
W 50-54 Juli Peterson 
W55+ Denise Houseman(8th World Title) 
W 40+under 155 Teresa Nystrom(athlete of the comp)

JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic