Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Newbie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

What is a reasonable goal for a Newbie?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a reasonable goal for a Newbie?
    Posted: 10/02/17 at 5:45pm
I'd like to set a goal for the Braemar stone, to give me something to work towards. As in, "by next September, I'd like to throw X feet". Right now, I can probably huck a Braemar stone 15 feet with zero training. What would be a good goal for a years worth of dedicated strength training and practice? 20 feet? 25 feet?
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/17 at 7:13pm
This is a great little piece of work put together by Sean Langford, a Canadian thrower, and it's a really good representation of where you rank with the throws and distances associated with them. 

http://www.antigonishhighlandgames.ca/understanding-the-distances/

Also, where in NH are you? I live in Dover and even though my season just ended I'm always up for helping people out or having someone to train with!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
NHElliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/17 at 10:37am
Great link. Sadly, he doesn't have the Braemar as one of the throws, but good reference for the others.

Glad to hear there are other throwers in NH! I'm a little to far away from Dover, but look forward to meeting you and other folks at the Queeche / Loon Mtn. meets next year.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/17 at 11:51am
For Braemar, anything over 30' is a great throw for an amateur. 

Anything over 25' is good, especially if you do not have a background in T&F. 

Hope to meet ya some day as well! 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/17 at 12:39pm
What would be a good throw for a left handed lightweight who doubles as a go-go dancer? No throwing background...heaviest thing thrown was sequined G-string at schmoes???asking for a friend
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/17 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by dWood dWood wrote:

What would be a good throw for a left handed lightweight who doubles as a go-go dancer? No throwing background...heaviest thing thrown was sequined G-string at schmoes???asking for a friend

I can answer that one!  26' in platform boots; 22' in cleats.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/17 at 1:17pm
thnx!(is that from actual real world practice...lol)Wink
JUST BRING IT /

english viking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote english viking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/17 at 3:32pm
25 feet
Larry J Readman
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/17 at 10:03am
If you're a normal size human being (220+), then I would think after a year of dedicated training for the braemar stone, you should/could be out in the mid/high 30's (maybe to 40) foot range.   
NHElliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/17 at 12:45pm
Sadly, I'm a smaller than normal human being (5'8" and 190 lbs) :) (Its why i never made it as a go-go dancer, dWood)
Looking to beat PRs, not necessarily the rest of the field. This has been a helpful thread, thx!
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/17 at 3:06pm
no disrepect just alittle levity aimed at Jeff Kaste....dont let size fool you lots of guys I know around that size can do damage(ie;vintage Mark Howe,JVG)..when I started in the games my training partner was 335 and I was 225..we trained for years together and while his numbers the first few years were close(he was slightly ahead of me) by the end of our amtr careers were similar and he was up to 365 and me 235-245...our first few years we went into each game just trying to beat our own marks,,just enter a comp..you will have a baseline now go out train and try and beat that baseline
JUST BRING IT /

NHElliott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NHElliott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/17 at 7:12am
Thanks dWood, that's encouraging and solid advice. Should be a lot of fun training this winter!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic