Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Hammer shoulder injury PLEASE HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case3307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hammer shoulder injury PLEASE HELP!
    Posted: 9/14/18 at 10:12pm
So last may (2018) I dislocated my shoulder throwing the hammer at a competition. I added in an extra wind over what I normally do trying to add distance on my last throw and chaos ensued. I lost control of the implement and the low point of the orbit drifted past center and over my left side and when I released, it was too late/ too high/ and at a bad angle and I dislocated my shoulder.

I took time off from lifting and throwing did some mobility/rehab, got back in the weight room and eventually started throwing again with no issues in practice. Then 3 months to the day of the first dislocation I competed and it happened again, only this time the throw was good, everything was where it should be low point stayed slightly to the right side of center, release was well timed, and my shoulder came out again.

So I have just skipped the hammer in my last 2 comps, seen a sports medicine doc who is fairly confident I have torn my labrum. I have an MRI scheduled next week, and potential surgery afterward.

I am wondering if anyone else has had similar experience with this type of injury? If so how was the surgery? How long was the rehab? How have you prevented it from happening again? I'm feeling pretty hopeless and pessimistic right now, any info anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/18 at 9:01am
Sorry about the injury , that’s always the big suck. Only idea would be to try throwing with your other hand, I’ve known a bunch of guys with torn biceps who came back ok throwing off-handed. Good luck!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/18 at 11:44am
Partial or full dislocation?

Labrum tear and fix is a super easy arthroscopic surgery.  Couple months and you'll be back in business.  Myles had that surgery a few years back and was back to heavy deadlifting in like 6-8 weeks.  Maybe he'll see this and comment.    

The surgery will prevent it from happening again, and without it I suspect it will happen more and more often, as dislocations often do.    

In any event, this is a minor injury, address it and keep moving forward.  It's part of the game we play.  

jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/18 at 11:06pm
I blew out my labrums on the front and back of my throwing shoulder. I threw in 5 more competitions, which might have not been the brightest move. I had surgery March of 2017. I threw in a games in October of 2017. Knock on wood, everything has been good. I have a kevlar rope in my shoulder now, so it's not going anywhere now.

The surgery is pretty easy. Do the prehab and rehab stuff. Be patient, but make sure the doctors and therapists know what your goals are. And make sure your throwing technique is good. My injury happened on a PR stone throw. The technique was shit though, so POP went the shoulder.

Good luck
Josh Plumb
I may not be good, but I'm consistent
case3307 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case3307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/18 at 1:52pm
C Smith in answer to your question

Full dislocations both times. The first time it just popped out and hung there out of socket for a few minutes until I tried to stand up then when I pushed down on the top of my leg with that hand it popped back in. I actually didn’t know it was out or I probably wouldn’t have done that.

The second time when I released it popped out all the way then went immedialty back in on its own.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/18 at 10:03am
Is it dislocating during the winds or on the release? Also, is it the left or the right arm? Are you winding lefty or righty?

Curious because I am a righty, I wind righty, and have had 2 labrum repair surgeries (Bankart, not SLAP) in my past on my right shoulder before I did highland games. I have never had an issue with throwing hammer, or any throwing event. I cant throw a baseball or football, but heavy events, no sweat. 

More information could be helpful in lending you some advice. Thanks!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
case3307 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote case3307 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/18 at 10:00pm
It’s my left shoulder. It only dislocates on the release the winds feel totally fine. I’m right handed so I start with the hammer on the ground off to my right pull across and wind for 3 winds and release over my left shoulder and that’s when it dislocates.

After some extensive research and hours watching hammer vids online I think the problem is that I have been releasing more “back” than “up”. If found a great breakdown series of hammer on YouTube where the guy instructs to hit your low point on your final wind, then it’s like a two had med ball toss straight up. The momentum built from the winds is enough to carry it back and over your left shoulder, and its a big lift st the end that makes for a good release angle and throw. Haven’t had a chance to try this yet as you will see if you read the medical explanation below, but it sounds like a solid explanation and I think will remedy things when I do begin to throw again.

Medical update.

I went in for the MRI and had the surgery last week. Turns out I had a “large anterior labrum tear”. They put 3 anchors in and suchered it back down. I also sheared off a flap of cartilage that had to be removed during surgery. They said my rotator cuff looked great and so did my biceps tendon and everything else. Not sure if it was Bankart or slap since they didn’t use either of those terms when they talked to me. And despite reading a ton about both of those online neither one really sounds exactly like what they did. My post op appointment is a week from today and physically therapy to follow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic