Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Andy Crowley take 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/19 at 2:58pm
8/28 deadlifts
6x3@395 1×12@395
These started off bad and got progressively better. I've been having trouble off the floor lately, so I want back to my old technique and that seems to have improved things greatly.

1.5" deficits
4x3@395,405,405,405

Snatch grip shrugs
3x8@275,315,315, 1×12@225

Landmine rows
3x6@180

Dumbell rows
2x5 each arm@100s my hands hurt
Andy Crowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/30/19 at 2:06pm
8/30 another bad feeling squat day. Very sore upper and mid back from Wednesday's workout.
Bar x15, 135x10, 225x5, 315x5, back pump setting in. Throw on a belt for 365x3, 405x2, 335x6x3, 335x6. Not good but at least I got it done

Front squat 4x3@245

Stiff leg deads 4x8@245

Then I ate a seafood chimichanga. I, to the F'n love, seafood chimichangas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/19 at 2:05pm
9/3 deads/OHP

Deads 435x5x3. Last set was supposed to be an AMRAP, but these felt so terrible overall, I just did another 3 and called it good with a few in the tank.

OHP 4x3@155, 1x5@155
Z Press 4x8 @95
Landmine rows/press superset
3x12 each thingie @120

I squished two workouts into one since this will be a short week with yesterday being a holiday, and tomorrow birthday dinner with the parents, and Thursday Packer game. Not ideal, but it'll do.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/19 at 9:15pm
9/3 later. Throws

42lb heavyweight. Took a whole lot of reps. Everything felt nice and smooth and linear but didn't go very far except one 40+. The amount of beans to amount of distance was pretty good though. Translating what Luke told me to do in the 28 seemed helpful with the 42. I also forgot my chalk so I was a little tentative.

15.5lb stone. Lots of reps again. Best stand 37' best fulls 40+ nothing over 42. Felt good just kind of blah as far as energy goes.

Wob pulls with no hook grip. Lots left out front. The last 5 or so I got to arc. Not sure how high they were going but that wasn't really the point. I'm really hoping I'll get another competition this year. I'm looking at you, Brian Hare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/19 at 10:08pm
9/6 another Friday, another blah squat workout. This is a discouraging pattern. I'm going to blame it on poor sleep this time. I was all sorts of jacked after the Packer game. Combine that with my dog insisting on sleeping directly on me and I didn't get to sleep until 2am, up at 5 for work, work 12 hours, right to the gym. If anyone reads these and thinks "what's with the long winded entries? Just log the lifts and get on with it rabble rabble rabble." Well I'm looking for patterns. What sets me up well for strength/throws and what doesn't. Also, for Jeff Kaste. Luke stopped logging and I feel like that's left a void in Jeff's life. A snack void, mostly, but a void nonetheless.

Anypoop, squats.
Barx15, 135x10, 225x5, 315x5, belt, 365x3, 405x2, 435x1, 375x4x3, 375x5

Front squat
275x4x2

Stiff leg deads
275x3x8

I think I'm going to give the juggernaut a rest after this cycle. I've been running it for over a year. I don't think the program has stopped working, but I need a change. I'm thinking some iteration of 5/3/1 probably with Boring but Big as I feel high reps are helpful. That should be changey enough. I'm sure I'll return the loving arms of the juggernaut eventually.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/19 at 1:23pm
9/7 throws
42- lots of throws. A few over 40. Most in the 38-39 range. These felt really good especially out of the back. Even my walkthrough warm ups were going 36-37. That tells me I'm at least able to hit decent positions. Also, where set up the trig there was a pretty good uphill slope after about 36 feet so that's cool.

15.5lb open stone. Front throws up to 34. Stands up to 38. About 6 fulls between 39 and 41. I'm happy enough with that.

Wob pulls. I think I've found the technique that works for me. I just need to drill it until it's repeatable every time then I can work on adding mustard at the right points in the throw. Right now it's still inconsistent especially if I try to give it some gas. I know my problem is that I don't sit on then weight long enough and I pull too soon which puts it into a long arc that leaves it out front. I know this. I cue myself every time and execute about 65% of the time.

Took some one turns with the 42 at the end with a strap just to see how it feels. I think I understand how to throw these now, but the strap still messes with my release sometimes. Other than that, it was the best one turns have ever felt.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/19 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Andy Crowley Andy Crowley wrote:

Also, for Jeff Kaste. Luke stopped logging and I feel like that's left a void in Jeff's life. A snack void, mostly, but a void nonetheless.

Luke punched a hole in my heart with his big, meaty claws when he stopped logging. You're the wall putty that is going to fill that void. 

And for that, I appreciate you. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/19 at 9:13pm
I appreciates you appreciating me.

9/9 OHP
barx10, 95x8, 115x5, 135x3, 155x3, 165x2, 175x2, 185x1
175 was supposed to be a 3+, so that's disappointing. The first two reps were pretty easy, but then I had to breathe. I lost my brace and ended up pushing the bar out away from me. There was no coming back from that. Oh well.

Z Press
95x8, 115x5, 125x2x4, 115x5

Landmine press
135×3×10
Single arm
90x10

Single arm lateral raises
20s x3x12

Skull crushers
75x3x10

Cable pushdowns
3x10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/19 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

Originally posted by Andy Crowley Andy Crowley wrote:

Also, for Jeff Kaste. Luke stopped logging and I feel like that's left a void in Jeff's life. A snack void, mostly, but a void nonetheless.

Luke punched a hole in my heart with his big, meaty claws when he stopped logging. You're the wall putty that is going to fill that void. 

And for that, I appreciate you. 

Also, did Luke tell you about his former penchant for punching holes in things or was that just a coincidental analogy? I think there is still a t-shirt tacked to the wall in his old room covering a meaty claw sized hole.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/19 at 7:13am
HAHA completely coincidental. But I think that somehow, I always knew...
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/19 at 9:43pm
Ha, can confirm.

Deadlift
Came in feeling poopy after work. Tight back. No motivation. Considering that, I'm pretty happy with how today went.

135x10, 225x8, 315x3, 365x3, 405x3, 435x1, 455x1, 475x3 was supposed to be 3+ but it wasn't. The reps weren't grindy at all, but I felt a little tweaky tweak where my right hamstring meets my right butt. Nothing serious, but I wanted to keep it that way.i didn't have time to roll the bottom of my feet on my la crosse ball before hand, so that may have contributed. Nothing loosens up my hammies like rolling out my feet. Try it. I dare ya.

Snatch grip shrugs
225x10, 275x3x10

Landmine rows
4x10@135

20 minutes on the la crosse ball.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/11/19 at 5:04pm
9/11 Throws

42- I turns x3 best off 33. Still bad at these but getting better. Fulls x10ish best of 40. Same deal as last session.

Open stone. Fronts x3 best of 32. Stabds x4 best of 37. Fulls x4 best of 39. Again pretty much the same as last session.

Wob pulls x6 all of them arced but one. That's great for me. Dialing it in

I need to get over to Luke's and steal some implements. I miss hammers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/19 at 2:08pm
9/12 randomish stuff

Standing pin press at eye level
95x10, 115x8, 135x8, 155x5, 165x2x4, 135x2x10
These felt bad today and I figured they would, but Luke got me a new belt for my birthday. It's an Olympic weightlifting style belt and I really wanted to try it out. Oh yeah, and it has friggin storm troopers all over it! It felt good. I'm excited to try it for throws and deadlift. I'm going to stick with my lever belt for squats though I think.

Smith machine high incline
135x10, 185x4x8, 135x10
I've found that if I don't let the bar go below chin level with a wider geip and don't over tuck my elbows, these don't hurt my shoulder. It's not optimal, but I feel like completley neglecting my chest is a bad idea.

Lean away db lateral raises
20s x3x10 each arm 30 seconds rest between sets

Single arm fly machine
4x10 each arm

Pushups
5x10

Trying to find ways to work my chest without pain really sucks.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/19 at 5:12pm
What about dips?

Those may still hurt. I think your best bet is cable flys until death
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/19 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

What about dips?

Those may still hurt. I think your best bet is cable flys until death

Sadly dips are excruciating in the bottom position. I love them, especially the weighted variety, but I'd have to cut the ROM so much to alleviate the pain that I think it would just render them useless. I noticed you do floor presses. Maybe thay could be another option I could utilize. I know they are mostly meant to overload the triceps, but I would think there would have to be some chest activation. Plus, stronger triceps never hurt anything.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/19 at 7:23pm
At this point in my life, bigger, more defined pecs will get me no where. I'd rather have a bigger back. So getting my triceps as strong as possible is the way I cope with it. I think floor presses are a good alternative. Try it out, it feels weird at first (cause of the whole not going all the way down thing) but they're nice!
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/19 at 7:47pm
I'm not so much worried about getting bigger pecs although that would be nice. I'm more worried about potential for greater injury that could stem from muscular imbalance. My back is fairly overdeveloped in comparison to my chest. It's probably not a big deal, but it's something I think about. Neglecting an entire muscle group just seems like a recipe for disaster. I'm a bizzaro gym bro in that respect. I skip chest day.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/19 at 7:26am
Completely understandable. I say a healthy dose of Pec Deck for the rest of your life is in order. That should keep the floppy chest at bay
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/19 at 12:36pm
It's so boring though! I can't bench. I can't do curls. Do I even lift bro?

Friday the 13th spooky squats
Barx10, 135x10, 225x8, 315x5, 365x3, 405x6,2,2,2,3
Program was to work up to a 3+ @405. I got my six but craved a little more volume, hence the next 4 sets. This is the best squat has felt in a while. I was looking forward to it all week because my wife bought me some Strong Sleeves. I effing love them. Great compression, great warmth, and more than anything, peace of mind. Pain free knees. Love it.

Front squat
225x3,260x3, 285x3, 285x2, 295x3

Stiff leg deads
225x5,275x5,295x2x8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/19 at 6:06pm
9/14 throws

Heavy hammer best of 77'
Light hammer 2 winds best of 102. Bladeless 3 winds 97. Blades 3 winds 103. I think the series I hit in hammers this practice was probably my best ever. That's encouraging especially since I haven't touched a hammer since my last comp.

Lightweight- best of 59' kinda started figuring things out on my finish then I ripped my hand so that was that. I still don't get this event.

Sheaf pulls felt fine. Minimal weird stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/19 at 10:05pm
More different time but still 9/14

Bench! What sorcery is this you ask? Well, I took what I learned from incline bench the other day and says to my self "self, maybe you can apply what worked there to flat bench." So, I tried it. I widened my grip and focused on really retracting my scapula as hard as I can and keeping my forearms stacked better by not over tucking my elbows along with touching higher on my chest. It all felt very weird and unnatural but not hurty, and I was able to move some weight. Sets went a little something like this:
135x10,185x5,205x2x3,225x2x3,225x5,135x2x10,185x2x5
Weird progression, I know but I was just feeling things out. For such a long layoff and a complete technique overhaul, I'm pretty happy with that. I'm not sure if bench will be coming back on a weekly basis, but it's nice to know I can work around this stupid shoulder dealie.

Smith machine incline
135x10, 185x8, 205x3x5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/19 at 1:10pm
9/16 the beginning of a screwin' around phase. Could be one week, could be multiple weeks. Not sure yet. This week will be generally low stress/deload.

Deads
365x4x3
2" deficit deads
365x4x3
Everything moved fast which was the goal. Glad I was able to keep a good brace since my core was pretty well shot from all the hammer volume on Saturday.

Landmine neutral grip rows
4x8@180

Wide, but not quite snatch grip shrugs
4x15@225

Neutral grip pullups
5x5
I'm not good at these at all, so I'm actually pretty happy with this. Kept everything nice and strict. I've neglected vertical pulling for a long time because of my biceps tendonitis, but neutral grip doesn't hurt it. I'm going to be working these in more. Maybe add weight eventually.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/19 at 1:28pm
9/17 OHP

4x3@155

Z Preas
4x8@95

Dips
4x8@me,me, +45,+45

Single arm lateral raises
4x8@25s

Skullcrushers
4x8@75

V bar cable pushdowns
4x8

I was able to do dips again, yay! Somehow, benching again seems to have fixed my shoulders. Scapular retraction is vital to keeping things pain free though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/19 at 9:08pm
Still 9/17 Throws

56- took about 5 warmup throws. All around 25-26.

42- 6 or so throws all 38-39

Braemar- lots of throws. We were losing daylight so Luke and I just went back to back for like 10 minutes. Everything over 30. Most 31-32. I just can't seem to stay on this stone for crap.

Back to 42 because I don't know. Probably 8 more throws everything 38-39.5. Just focused on hitting a good power position and getting good lift and leg drive. Went rapid fire one after another with Luke again on these. He went 59. Makes me sad. There's levels to this shit, apparently.   

That was all she wrote. I feel pretty good about it.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/18/19 at 9:05am
That Luke is a real dream killer! 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/19 at 8:07pm
9/19 benchie bench

4x8@185. I had no idea if I'd be able to do this after my long layoff. I figured I'd fatigue and poop out. I didn't, and I'm super happy about that. It felt good and easy and most importantly, not hurty.

Incline bench
4×8@185
This was weird. The Smith machine was taken so I went with regular type. Even when I used to bench, I pretty much never did incline barbell, so there's a bit of a feeling out process. I'm not a huge fan of the angle of the bench, and I kept hitting the j-cups on the way up, so that was irksome. I got it done though. I feel like a douche not going all the way down to my chest, and I think I lose some pop because of it but shoulder health over ego, I suppose. Hopefully, I can work my way back to full ROM eventually.

Single arm cable crossover things
4x8 per arm. 2 sets low pulley, 2 sets high pulley

Neutral grip pullups
6x5
I want to get better at these. Partially for strength and partially because I think they're cool and am jealous of people who can do pullups. I do dead hang between each rep because I'm really bad at them and that allows me to collect myself, think about what I'm doing, rally the troops, and give it all the beans.

Neutral grip pushups on dumbbells
3x15
The dumbells kept rolling out on me, so that was interesting. Last set was 10, rest pause, 5 more.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/20/19 at 9:43pm
9/20 squat

Back squat
Barx15, 135x10, 225x5, 315x3, 365x3, 405x2, 425x2
Didn't really have a plan for this and they didn't feel great, and I knew I had a good bit of front squat volume, so I left it at that.

Front squat
4x8@225
These felt about how high rep fronts usually feel. Hard to breath, verge of passing out, warped bar rolling on me. Legs preformed admirably though.

Stiff leg deads
4z8@275

My log is going to get pretty boring from here on out. I've decided to program my main accessory lifts with a boring old 4 week LP. Week 1- 4x8, week 2-4x6, week 3-6x4, week 4- 8x3, rinse, repeat. I've just been "going by feel" to this point. I've just been trying to do some arbitrary amount of "more" each week whether it be adding weight, adding reps, or shortening rest times. It seems to have worked fine, but it's difficult to quantify progress. We'll see how this goes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/19 at 8:25pm
9/21 screwing around at Barbell Underground (my oldest brother's basement gym in Madison) I missed basement lifting. It's the environment in which I really fell in love with lifting, and it was nice to get back to it if only for a day.

There was no real structure to anything. I was kind of hoping to pull something heavy, but I quickly realized that my leg workout the previous day was going to make that a not so good idea. I hit 455 for one beltless and one belted single. Neither felt good, so that was that. We did some landmine viking press with sweet Titan Viking Press attachment. Worked up to whatever 4 plates is for theee strict reps then threw on another 25 and did some push presses. That felt really good. Didn't bug my shoulders or knees like barbell tends to. I then set the family pullup record at 6 reps, haha. I did them pronated and it didn't hurt as much as it used to but still a bit of discomfort. I'll stick to neutral. there was some random body curls, hacky sack, eating, and other shenanigans. All in all it was a great time and made me quite sore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/23/19 at 8:34pm
9/23 OHP
Doing the most basic original 5/3/1 template. Tonight was 5,5,5+
115x5, 135x5, 145x8. I finished that and didn't really feel like I did anything so I did another 3,3,5@145. I'm already going off script. Good sign of things to come, haha.

Z Press
5x6@105

Dips
5x6@+60

Lean away single arm lateral raises
4x8 each arm@25

Skull crushers
5×6@85

Cable kickbacks
3x8

Pushdowns
2x12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/19 at 8:42pm
9/24 deadlift

Today was rough. I had a pounding headache, and I forgot I deadlifted on Saturday, so I was a wee bit fatigued.

5,5,5+
325x5, 375x5, 425x8

That's only one rep off my PR at that weight, so that's not terrible all things considered. Had I known what my PR was going into the set, ai probably would have done more. I'm glad I didn't know.

Pull ups
4x8
Wasn't sure if I'd be able to do this, but I did, so dats coo. Still bad at these.

Landmine rows
4x8@190

2" deficit deads
4x8@315

About halfway through my rows, I realized I forgot deficits. That was a bad feeling. I was already cashed, but I had to get it done. I'm glad I'm not a very good deadlifting. Loading and unloading the bar sucks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
  Share Topic