FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Andy Crowley take 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 30>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/19 at 11:59am
You sound like my inner monologue!! 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Andy Crowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/19 at 8:00pm
My inner monologue has more cursing.

10/23 deads

I learned a valuable lesson today about caffeine dosage. I took more than my usual amount of preworkout because there was a little extra left in the tub, so I figured I'd just pour some water in it and down the hatch. That was mistake number one. Mistake number two was absentmindedly grabbing a Bang from my cupholder and drinking half of it before realizing what I was doing. My heart rate is still elevated as I type this...45 minutes after my workout. Anywho onto the workout

5,5,5+
315, 365, 405x12

2" deficit deads
4x8@325

Pullups
3x8. Was supposed to be 4 sets, but in my defense, I didn't want to do any sets at all. In my caffeine crazed state, I did all this in about 25 minutes.
I called it after that because I was legitimately concerned for my ticker. I didn't want it to attack and kill me. The heart only knows violence.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/19 at 3:16pm
10/24 bench

4x8@195

Tried to do incline barbell but it felt like absolute butt today so I went with Paused dumbell incline
4x5@70s

Hang cleans 3,3,3,3,5 @225

Was supposed to be 6x3 but I was crunched for time so I made the 5th set a fiver and called it good. All done in less than an hour. Notsobad
BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/19 at 5:11pm
I see you mentioned puds a while back but I haven't seen you logging any... get to the puds! The angry mob demands puds!!!
Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/19 at 7:31pm
PUDS!!!!!!

PUUUUUUUUUDSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/19 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

PUDS!!!!!!

PUUUUUUUUUDSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

The way I hear that in my head is more of a zombie horse looking to get some horn than an angry mob.

10/25 squats and other shenanigans

Back squat 5,5,5+
275, 315, 365x8
Wasn't feeling it today. There was more there, but whatever.

Front squat
4x8@245 these didn't feel great either. When I put the bar back on the j hooks after my 3rd set, the bar rolled in my hands and I missed the right side and Luke had to save me. That was nice of him.

Stiff leg deads
4x8@285. These actually felt good. One double overhand set, one hook grip set, and 2 strapped sets.

Floppy ass 250lb sandbag picks and one waddle around for a while. This bag has been taunting me. It's not filled up all the way and flops around like something real floppy. Luke showed me some technique and it really came down to getting aggressive with it and not being a baby. I now feel confident that I could pick up Luke and drag him to safety as long as safety is like less than 20 feeters away.

Then we ate some food at a local bar. It was delicious. I ate more than Luke and we got cat called by older women (mostly luke but I got some residual harrassment). Quite flattering I must say.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/19 at 3:23pm
HAHA who says it wasnt? 
Jeff Kaste

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/19 at 10:47am
The Crowley boys still got it! Had mom not been there, things would have most certainly gotten out of hand.
Luke Crowley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/19 at 3:57pm
Yeah, mom's a real buzzkill.

10/28 OHP
3,3,3+
125, 140, 160x6
The wallowing continues

Z Press
5x6@ 110

Dips
5x6@+65

Leanie lateral raises
3x15 per arm @25s

Reverse pecdeck rear delt flies magoo
4x10

Ez bar skull crushers
3x8

Straight bar cable pushdowns
2x8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/19 at 12:46pm
10/29 deads
3,3,3+
335, 385, 430x8 this was harder than I wanted it to be.

2" deficit deads
5x6@355

Pullups
5x6@+20 last two sets were rough

Rows
4x8@195

Overall, I felt a lot better than last week. Luke thought I might have had a bit of lingering CNS fatigue after throwing a full games the weekend prior. There may be something to that. I also know my nutrition wasn't where it needed to be last week. I'll fix that this week.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/19 at 1:09pm
You're so much stronger than I am. I need to step up my shit haha
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/19 at 1:36pm

You're so much stronger than I am. I need to step up my shit haha

I've got short legs and long arms, so I'm built more to squat and deadlift. Your pressing is far superior. Also, you're a much better thrower which is what really matters. I'd say keep doing what your doing lol.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/19 at 7:10pm
10/30 bench

5x6@205. Felt good

Incline dumbell with pause
5x6@70s

Hang cleans
6x2@235. I started Goodnight Saigon by Billy Joel on my first set and finished my last set before it was done. 6 sets in 7 minutes and 3 seconds. It was sweaty.

Pec dec fly/pushup superset
3 aets of each to the pain
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/19 at 10:38am
Slow down you maniac! Ate least go at American Pie pace.
Luke Crowley
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/19 at 11:51am
Andy your cardio and strength is crazy! It's truly DBOL-ical! 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/19 at 8:02pm
11/1 All Squats Day

Back squat
3,3,3+
295, 340, 380x10 rep PR. Yeehaw

Front squat
5x6@255

Stiffy deads
5x6@295

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/19 at 9:22pm
10/2 Day of the Deadlift at Barbell Underground

My body was all like WTF guy, it's the weekend at first but lots of hack got it back on track, jack.

I started with OHP. 5,3,1+
135, 155, 170x5 noice. Then did some singles at 185. Didn't feel great but may moved okay. Not sure.

Everyone else was deadlifting, hence the name, so I had to try so they would think I was cool. I think I went 225, 335, 425, and 515. We'll call the 515 rep a tempo rep. My niece recorded the lift. It was a 17 second video, so yeah. A bit disheartening as I did the same weight back in January much much easier. My wife got in on the action too and hit 215 for a couple easy singles. Probably her second time ever pulling, so that's cool.

Then I tried a little bench too since it was right there. 245x3, 265x1, 275x1. They all felt terrible except the 275 which actually felt really good and moved well.

Then we ate tacos, hacked a bunch more, and did way too many pullups. Pretty good day.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/19 at 6:12am
A rep is a rep. I can tell you for a FACT I could not pull over 500 right now. Bravo, sir!
Jeff Kaste

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/19 at 1:43pm
You clown, a spontaneous 515 deadlift is nothing to be a poopypants about!
Luke Crowley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/19 at 3:33pm
I'm not like super grumpy about it. It's a heavy pull for me under adverse conditions, but it felt soooooo bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/19 at 8:41pm
11/4 OHP

I did my strict pressing Saturday, so I figured I'd give push press another try. This time I wore my sleeves and had no knee pain. Thumbs up.

135x5, 185x3, 205x2, 225x3x3, 135x8 strict

I think these may replace Z Press for my next block. Nothing I've done so far has seemed to help my strict press, so I'm hoping a movement in which I can overload to a greater extent will help. Plus, more explosive movements can't hurt. I don't really know if strict press is even that helpful overall, but I want to get better at them just because.

Z Press
6x4@120

Dips
6x4@+75

Leanie lateral raises
2x20 each arm @20

Regular type lateral raises
20s, 15s, 10s for 12 reps each. No rest in between

PecDeck reverse fly
4x12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/19 at 8:38pm
11/5 Deads

A guy from work has been bugging me to help him with his deadlift, so I finally caved and did that tonight. I'm bad at coaching and have very little patience, but he wasn't too bad. Anyway, my workout went pretty well, but I wasn't able to get to everything due to jibber jabber. The jibberin' and jabberin' did make me rest more between sets though, which may have been helpful.

Deads 5,3,1+
355, 405, 455x7 rep PR.

Deficit deads
6x4@365 felt super explosive.

I was dreading today and thought my workout would be screwed from my ill advised deadlifting over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. I'll have to find a time to work pullups in later in the week though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/19 at 2:09pm
11/7 benchity bench

It's cold outside. I probably need to start warming up better when I come in on my days off of work. I feel a lot better coming in after work because I've been moving around the previous 12 hours before lifting. On my off days, I roll out of bed, eat, hang out with the dog, do house things, then head to the gym. I seem to come in cold and flat those days, but who has time for silly stuff like warm ups?

Anyway bench 6x4@225
Sets 2,4, and 6 felt great. Sets 1,3, and five were whatever. still playing with my setup a bit.

Paused DB incline
4x8@70s
These feel good. I'm afraid to go heavier though because initially getting 5he weights up bugs my left shoulder a bit.

Hang cleans
8x1@245 snappy and light feeling. Good stuff

Deficit pushups pause at the bottom
4x10
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/19 at 3:26pm
I have been doing a Wenning-esque warm up which doesn't take too long and helps me get the blood a flowin'. 

Pick 3 exercises and do 3-4 sets of 25 reps, very light. For squat day I do 3x25 goblet squats with a 30# DB, banded Good Mornings 3x25, and 3x25 TKEs (I'd do leg extensions but Im in my basement)

Takes maybe 10 minutes, most of the time less. Im sweating and all lubed up for squats 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/19 at 4:47pm
I do like that idea. The only thing is that when working out in a commercial gym, I've sometime got to fight for a spot especially on bench day. I've got to get to a bench/rack/platform right away and pee on it to claim it as my own. I don't want to be that douche that takes up space and doesn't use it. I'll probably start grabbing some bands and/or dumbells to do stuff between warmup sets.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/19 at 7:37pm
I remember those days. I totally get it. Peeing helps, but taking a shit on it works best!
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/19 at 2:00pm

I remember those days. I totally get it. Peeing helps, but taking a shit on it works best!

I would do that, but the majority of my power is derived from the fear of pooping my pants. I cant just go about wasting strength poos.

Speaking of poop 11/8 squats

5,3,1+
315, 365, 400x8. 8-10 was the goal. I'll take it.

Front squats
4,4,4, 3pass out, 4,4,4@265

Man these felt awesome before and after I passed out. On my fourth set I had the bar just a fraction of an inch too far back on my neck, so it was cutting off the blood flow. From the initial unrack, my vision started to tunnel. It's not an unfamiliar feeling, so I figured I could pound out the set and be fine. I was almost right. I went to get my air at the top for my fourth rep and realized I was going out. I was able to dump the bar and stumble away like Ronda Rousey after a headkick. I didn't actually fall down which was nice, and I got my bearings back pretty quickly. Luckily, my wife was right there to do absolutely nothing. Thanks Katie. The subsequent sets went right back to feeling awesome. Sometimes I pass out. No bug deal.

Stiff leg deads
6x4@305 felt fine

Pullups
10, 2x4@+35, 10

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/19 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Andy Crowley Andy Crowley wrote:

Luckily, my wife was right there to do absolutely nothing. Thanks Katie.

I had a good chuckle reading this 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/19 at 12:15pm
11/10 impromptu bench

It's crappy outside, the Packers don't play until 3:30, and I was sick of doing laundry. Had to get out of the house. I was able to convince myself I could get my bench workout done and have more time for hang cleans and chest accessories on Thursday.

8x3@235
Most sets felt great. I was trying to increase my rest a bit as the workout went on.

I'm starting to feel a bit beat up, but with deer season coming in two weeks, I'm just going to push through and use that as my deload. Hopefully, I make it that far.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/19 at 8:10pm
11/11 OHP

Everything felt bad today. I blame it on benching yesterday and sleeping like crap. Also, being a weak little baby doesn't help.

Strict press 5,5,5+
115, 135, 155x6 yuck

Push press
5 or 6×3@205. Lost count at some point.

Dips
8x3@+80

Lateral raises
1x10@25,20,15,10 no rest in between
1x10@20,15, 12.5, 10 no rest between

Rear delt fly machine deals
3x12

Db curls for the pumps